Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Key to Bears game this Sunday

Key to Bears game this Sunday

If you had to pick one key on defense and one on offense, what would it be?

I think the key defensively is stopping Forte both on the run and the dump off screens or swing passes. He gashed us underneath quite a bit and kept some drives going. Hopefully the Pack can get away with minimal blitzing with Matthews, Raji, and Jenkins producing pressure out of base defense and using the blitzing only on certain down/distances. Otherwise I think Forte gets free for some big plays.

I think the key on offense is the WR's consistency. Late in the season they seemed to have problems with concentration but against Atlanta they were lights out. Barring the WR's with another case of the dropsies, I'd think we put up at least 20 which should be enough to win barring massive special teams breakdowns or a slew of turnovers.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Stopping Forte would be the key on D one would think.....no drops and no TO's on offense. The Bears will probably be able to stuff the run but you have to keep them honest and keep trying....to a certain extent.

I hope the weather is ok (not windy)....if it comes down to a slugfest I don't like the odds.
    C.H.U.D.

Ground Rat
    The key is going to be special teams. Its the only area chicago has a huge advantage. chicago has won a lot of games this yr playing excellent ST and playing the field position game. How we handle KO's and punts is going to be the most important aspect of sundays game. we can't give up big return yards, however we can't be getting cute on kick offs and handing them the ball on the 40 each time either.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Trenches. It always comes down to the trenches. You win that battle on Defense and Forte won't gash you and Cutler will throw picks. You win on offense and Rodgers will slice their secondary to ribbons. Packers will struggle against the Chicago D line. they have to win enough to score a few TDs. on the other side, the Packer should be able to control the line, but Chicago will challenge them to stand up to a heavy dose of runs at Walden. If the Packers don't shut that down reasonably well, Cutler will hurt them with play action because they have some speed at skill positions - Knox and Hester can get open across the middle, and Olsen will get open versus Collins or Peprah if Cutler has too much time, because they will have to cover the entire field due to the strength of Cutler's arm.

I think the Clifton vs Peppers matchup is going to be an important one - need to keep him off of Rodgers, and out of the backfield in general. I wonder if Crabtree will get some quality time chipping him?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Fun fact, the last 4 teams to get a KOR TD in the playoffs have gone on to lose. Not since 2001 has a team with a KOR TD won, and their opponent in that game scored on a KO also...

Code:
    1    ATL 2010 2011-01-15   GNB 19 17 Sat L 21-48          1       0       0       0
    2    CHI 2006 2007-02-04 N IND  0 19 Sun L 17-29          1       0       0       0
    3    DAL 2006 2007-01-06   SEA  0 17 Sat L 20-21          1       0       0       0
    4    KAN 2003 2004-01-11   IND  0 17 Sun L 31-38          1       0       0       0
    5    NYG 2000 2001-01-28 N BAL  0 19 Sun  L 7-34          1       0       0       0
    6    BAL 2000 2001-01-28 N NYG  0 20 Sun  W 34-7          1       0       1       0
    7    NYG 2000 2001-01-07   PHI  0 17 Sun W 20-10          1       0       1       0

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    If you had to pick one key on defense and one on offense, what would it be?
    I agree with others that keeping Hester in check will be a key to winning this game and also winning the battles on the OL & DL. If I had to narrow it down and get specific, my single key would be forcing the Chicago D to rush more than 4 to create pressure on ARod. If we can contain Peppers and company and force them to bring 5 or 6 on blitzes to create pressure, ARod will carve their secondary up.

Next stop, Dallas, TX...

Ground Rat
    over under 2 penalties on Clifton for lining up too far off the line of scrimmage?

A clean game. That means at least tie the turn over battle, keep penalties down and don't get destroyed on ST's.

Offense and defense, I think we're taking the superior team to Chicago. It's no dome, but the conditions look adequate for passing the football. They will score less on our defense than we do on theirs. If we can play a clean game, we will win.

McCarthy has the right approach. I've listened to every MM press conference in the last 4 or 5 years. I've never heard him so committed to just doing what they do. He said Chicago knows what we do. We know what they do. It's going to come down to the players on the field. My biggest complaint with McCarthy is his tendency to get cute. Well, he doesn't sound like a guy with even the slightest urge to get cute against the Bears. I think that bodes well for the Pack.

Bears are doomed:

Remember this?

That didn't turn out so well...

Getting the #2 seed and first round bye? Check
    Playing Seattle in the Divisional Round and rolling? Check
    Snowy SI cover? Check
    Playing the #6 seed at home for the Halas Trophy? ...
    Last edited by denverYooper; 01-18-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Turnovers and not losing the game on STs.

Offensively the key is securing the ball. Bears are the 2nd best team in the NFL at forcing fumbles. Packers WR's had a lost fumble in each game with the Bears this year. In addition, Jennings lost one last week.

Defensively the key is stopping Forte on 1st down. The more the Packers can line up in in their nickel and dime packages, the more dangerous Woodson is.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Nice!

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Remember this?

Snowy SI cover? Check
    nice!

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Remember this?

Snowy SI cover? Check
    Well, techinically the Giants were the #5 seed...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Well, techinically the Giants were the #5 seed...
    Oops. I should have said "Playing a 10-6 wildcard team at home for the Halas Trophy". I'd go back and fix it but don't have the option to edit that post now.
    Last edited by denverYooper; 01-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.

NSW NSW NSW

I'll TELL YOU THE KEY TO THE GAME!

GREG JENNINGS HAS GOTS TO SCORE EVEN IF HE HAS TO HOLD HIS SH*T BECAUSE HE HAS A BROKEN LEG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU
    Last edited by swede; 01-18-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Key to winning?

The country is full of good coaches. What it takes to win is a bunch of interested players. -Don Coryell, ex-San Diego Chargers Coach
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Offensively the key is securing the ball. Bears are the 2nd best team in the NFL at forcing fumbles. Packers WR's had a lost fumble in each game with the Bears this year. In addition, Jennings lost one last week.

Defensively the key is stopping Forte on 1st down. The more the Packers can line up in in their nickel and dime packages, the more dangerous Woodson is.
    I like this.