Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OH NOOO...SAY IT AIN'T SO....HOW WOULD YOU REACT ???????

Blog Entries

OH NOOO...SAY IT AIN'T SO....HOW WOULD YOU REACT ???????

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    I've been thinking about that a lot this week as my stomach is lodged soundly in my throat. If it wasn't the Bears and the luckiest season in the history of professional sports, I think I would consider this to be an overachieving successful season. If the horrible, unthinkable happens, i will walk away in a daze and probably not have my head return to earth until at least the next season kicks off.

The Bears' fans would be completely unbearable. They'd be talking about how they were the better team all year long, etc. It would make me sick. Literally. I'm worried abou this game because the Bears' luck can't be ignored. I'm simply hoping that it balances out and McAuley's crew doesn't dictate the game again.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I left a comment on the article.

I would hate it, I truly would hate it, but regardless of how it turns out, I'm delighted to be a fan of this team. I got a great deal of excitement from the games this season and I'm a happy camper. As far as I'm concerned, the lads have already earned a ticker tape parade for a job well done.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    B, you made me sick just reading that article. this is GC material, please keep it off the front page!!

If we lose either of the next two games, I'll be upset initially but looking back on this season I can't help but call it a success ultimately. For a team so thoroughly decimated by injuries as we have been at this point this year, we got very close to what the preseason hype on our team was, and even doing that is pretty rare.

It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse? The Packers have something crazy like 200 starter games lost due to injury. The fact that we're this far to begin with is a testament to the jobs that everybody not yet on IR (including Ted and the coaches).

I will, however, ignore ESPN for a couple of weeks and cheer pretty hard for the AFC team (even if it is the Jets).
    </delurk>

First, I'd be sick at my stomach, queasy for a few days. I'd probably keep asking "what if?" and "why didn't?" questions for about a week. I'd call for someone to be fired. Maybe Slocum or Campen, or maybe I'd demand that Jones (or whoever screwed up in the game) be cut immediately.

After a few weeks - probably a week or so after the Super Bowl - I'd begin to get my balance back, and I'd then recognize what a wonderful season it was. My god, I walked out of Ford Field on December 12th with a sick taste in my mouth and idiot Lions' fans screaming in my ears, and I thought there was no way this Packer team could make the playoffs. And then they did. And then they won a couple playoff games with a decimated roster. Wow. Then I'd start studying up on the upcoming draft.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think if it was any other NFC team (except the Vikings), I could stomach losing after a week or so. But the Bears? That's something else entirely.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse?
    I believe the Pats went 11-5 that year. in a "normal" year they would have made the playoffs. Not many 11-5 teams miss the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    I believe the Pats went 11-5 that year. in a "normal" year they would have made the playoffs. Not many 11-5 teams miss the playoffs.
    You can't tell me that they wouldn't have gone 12-4 or better with Brady instead of Matt Cassell that year, though.
    </delurk>

If we lose either of the next two games, I'll be upset initially but looking back on this season I can't help but call it a success ultimately. For a team so thoroughly decimated by injuries as we have been at this point this year, we got very close to what the preseason hype on our team was, and even doing that is pretty rare.

It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse? The Packers have something crazy like 200 starter games lost due to injury. The fact that we're this far to begin with is a testament to the jobs that everybody not yet on IR (including Ted and the coaches).

I will, however, ignore ESPN for a couple of weeks and cheer pretty hard for the AFC team (even if it is the Jets).
    We didn't lose any "Brady" type of player; the majority of replacement players on defense have been better than the initial starters that got injured. Barnett & Burnett who? Even Walden made me forget Chillar. Finley & Grant are the ones we miss but thankfully we've lost no probowlers this season.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

You can't tell me that they wouldn't have gone 12-4 or better with Brady instead of Matt Cassell that year, though.
    true, but one game could have been won or lost due to any number of reason, not just brady. That showed just how talented the Pats were. you lose a major piece of your team and still play playoff football.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    We didn't lose any "Brady" type of player; the majority of replacement players on defense have been better than the initial starters that got injured. Barnett & Burnett who? Even Walden made me forget Chillar. Finley & Grant are the ones we miss but thankfully we've lost no probowlers this season.
    Losing Finley was a big, big deal. First of all, we had to rejigger (that's a technical term) our entire offense in his absence, and second of all a big fast TE is the ultimate cover 2 beater. With Finley, there would be no chance we'd lose to the Bears on Sunday without a series of epic gaffes.
    </delurk>

83 starter games lost, 2nd most in the leage, according to FO.

Notice that the Bears are tied for least starter games lost, with 11.

Finley is a "Pro Bowler" caliber player. Actually, he's beyond that. He's an All-Pro caliber TE.

One player can make a huge difference. Look at how Chicago (and their defense) does with a healthy Brian Urlacher compared to when he's out or playing injured. Makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 01-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Finley is a "Pro Bowler" caliber player. Actually, he's beyond that. He's an All-Pro caliber TE.

One player can make a huge difference. Look at how Chicago (and their defense) does with a healthy Brian Urlacher compared to when he's out or playing injured. Makes a huge difference.
    Urlacher and Peppers both. Big difference in that team.

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    First, I agree that losing Finley was a huge deal, you really can't underestimate how important a field-stretching TE is. You think Chicago would be cool with losing Olsen? And even though our youngsters have played well, it is hard to imagine the strain this has put on the coaching staff, who have to focus not just on scehme but also on whether the latest noob knows what the heck he's supposed to do.

I also agree that I will have a hard time seeing the good in this season if the Pack lose to the Bears. In part, because it's the friggin' Bears, but in larger part because I don't see the Bears as worthy. They just haven't earned it.

So if the Pack makes it and loses to either the Steelers or the Jets in the SB, I'm bummed but cool, because those are two very worthy opponents who have fought and beaten some tough hombres to get there (The Pats had to endure 3 games against the Ravens D!The Jets did 3 games against Hoodie!).

The Bears, as others have noted, have pretty much lucked out their whole season. So I don't care what happens in the SB, but I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE TO THE BEARS!

If this nightmare plays out, I will be sick for two weeks. I doubt I could even stomach watching the Superbowl. Loosing to the Bears in this situation is worse than loosing to any of the other playoff teams this year.

Win or lose I think the rivalry kicks up a notch or two for the next couple of years.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Losing Finley was a big, big deal. First of all, we had to rejigger (that's a technical term) our entire offense in his absence, and second of all a big fast TE is the ultimate cover 2 beater. With Finley, there would be no chance we'd lose to the Bears on Sunday without a series of epic gaffes.
    No doubt - I agree 100% but we'll beat the Bears regardless.

I think I've learned an important lesson this season; that one guy doesn't necessarily make or break a season. I, hohum, said McCarthy wasn't the man to get us over the hump but he's not that important to the success of the Packers but nonetheless important. Yet with that said, I couldn't possibly imagine Packers winning the Lombardi Trophy without Aaron Rodgers or maybe even Clay Matthews.