Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Offseason

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Offseason

First of all, I am excited to be a part of the packerrats forum finally! I have been a regular watcher from afar, but haven't registered until now.

I know, I know...all the hype and focus should be on the big game on Sunday. Believe me, it is. But with the season so close to ending in less than a month, I can't help but wonder what the Packers are going to do in the upcoming offseason to make themselves better. Here are some thoughts...

Will the Packers do anything with Ryan Grant? 2011 is his contract year, and after coming off an injury year this year, will the Packers take the plunge on a back who is 28, who is not a big threat catching the ball out of the backfield? I don't forsee TT doing anything like this, but with all our cap room, it'd be cool to see the Pack make a move for free agent DeAngelo Williams, who is a quicker scat back, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and immediately upgrade our speed.

Will the Pack resign Barnett? Two out of the last 3 years he's had season ending injuries, and with both Barnett and Hawk due for contracts, I could see TT going with the much more dependable Hawk, especially with the type of season he's had and with the emergence of other young LBs.

Cullen Jenkins discussions have been quiet, or have they? He's a good, big end whom I think the Pack need to keep. Bigby needs to go, and, as much as I like the guy, Brandon Jackson just isn't cutting it.

The draft...what will the Pack address? TT never seems to draft who we think he will, but one would think we'd have to address our o-line and d-line. Clifton and Tauscher are probably pretty close to retiring, so we'll have some big gaps to fill there. All this talk of the Pack maybe snagging Asomugha would be nice, but let's face it, it probably won't happen. TT will go after youth and since we've got good players, add to the depth, which obviously was invaluable this year. Driver's career is coming to an end, and it wouldn't surprise me if TT went after some reciever in the mid rounds.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    One thing is for certain (assuming there is a season next fall) Other teams will be salivating over Packer cut-downs. It is going to be a crowded, competitive camp like no other.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Nice first post SBG! thanks for taking the plunge and signing up!

mraynrand, you are absolutely right about that! With all our starters and key players on the IR, our "roster fillers" will be signing other places.

Little Whiskey, thanks a lot! Looking forward to being part of the team!

Welcome, SBG. I am very pleased you have stepped out of darkness into light. But in the light of Packerrats you will find that people can see you better and will shoot at you no matter what you say.

But that's okay. It's more like going paintballing than going to Mosul. Shoot back.

First I'd like to see the Packers plan on having the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft.

You will get way more attention to a thread like this in March.
    Last edited by swede; 01-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Grace!

1. I think they'll go with Grant, Starks and Jackson at RB next year, along with Kuhn. I'd like to see more of Nance because Starks has the capability to be a better 3rd down back than Jackson and Nance brings a physical dimension taht I personally like. I'm thinking Jackson is just too reliable for McCarthy to let go.

2. Of all the existing guys, I think Barnett and Jenkins are the two guys whose spot is the most tenuous - Jenkins because of the combination of cost and depth. Barnett's time may be passing him, particularly if a ILB is drafte early.

3. I'd like to see OL, OLB, WR, ILB and CB in the draft. This team has great depth, but there are some spots to replenish due to aging vets.

I think they should trade for Vince Young. Gamechanger.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    I think they should trade for Vince Young. Gamechanger.
    Do you have to trade for someone who is getting cut?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Do you have to trade for someone who is getting cut?
    Vince Young doesn't get cut. He simply moves through planes of awesomeness. The press doesn't understand this, and assigns worldly terms like "released," "let go," and "unceremoniously cut" so that unbelievers like you can understand that his game changerness no longer exists in the Tennessee reality.

I suggest we offer two 1sts, a 3rd and a conditional 5th to Vince Young himself to do with as he pleases.

Doesn't Barnett have a couple years left on his contract? I don't dispute that the Packers may choose between Hawk or Barnett (or, more accurately, starting Bishop or Barnett since Hawk and Barnett play two different positions), but it isn't because they're both in contract years. It's because they're either expensive (Hawk) or can be seen as too-injured and winding down (Barnett).

But who on the team would replace Hawk if he left? Chiller, Barnett, and Bishop all play the same position. Hawk has always had the other ILB spot. And there are other poster far more versed on why those two positions aren't interchangeable, so I'll let them do it.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
    Will the Packers do anything with Ryan Grant? 2011 is his contract year, and after coming off an injury year this year, will the Packers take the plunge on a back who is 28, who is not a big threat catching the ball out of the backfield? I don't forsee TT doing anything like this, but with all our cap room, it'd be cool to see the Pack make a move for free agent DeAngelo Williams, who is a quicker scat back, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and immediately upgrade our speed.

Will the Pack resign Barnett? Two out of the last 3 years he's had season ending injuries, and with both Barnett and Hawk due for contracts, I could see TT going with the much more dependable Hawk, especially with the type of season he's had and with the emergence of other young LBs.

Cullen Jenkins discussions have been quiet, or have they? He's a good, big end whom I think the Pack need to keep. Bigby needs to go, and, as much as I like the guy, Brandon Jackson just isn't cutting it.

The draft...what will the Pack address? TT never seems to draft who we think he will, but one would think we'd have to address our o-line and d-line. Clifton and Tauscher are probably pretty close to retiring, so we'll have some big gaps to fill there. All this talk of the Pack maybe snagging Asomugha would be nice, but let's face it, it probably won't happen. TT will go after youth and since we've got good players, add to the depth, which obviously was invaluable this year. Driver's career is coming to an end, and it wouldn't surprise me if TT went after some reciever in the mid rounds.
    Grant is no longer overly expensive, since he will have missed out on his performance based increases for next year. I don't see any reason for TT to bring in anyone besides the RBs they have, but a draft pick is always possible.

Not sure what you mean by, "will the Pack resign Barnett?" He is under contract through 2012. They don't need to do anything with him. Hawk will be the bigger question due to how expensive he will be next year. But since the Pack will be poised to repeat as Super Bowl Champs next year, the one-year investment in Hawk might not look too bad.

There could be a bit of a logjam at DL next year if Jolly comes back. If the FA market doesn't go crazy, Jenkins could be back. But I have a feeling he will leave for a very big contract.

An important thing to consider is that a new CBA is likely to provide larger rosters, some saying 58 rather than 53. The seemingly crowded positions of RB, DL and LB that will have talented and experienced players returning from IR might easily resolve with rosters increasing. Ignoring the limitations of a salary cap, the roster may be large enough to keep anyone the Packers like as a player.

Skinbasket, you talk a big game for someone who just got traded to Cincinnati!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

As a player to be named later to boot.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The Packers can get along without the often injured Jenkins, they have plenty of depth along the defensive line, I would like them to resign Howard Green for a veterans min, so you have three large bodies in Raji, Pickett, and Green. Along youngsters at Defensive End in Wynn, Wilson, and Neal. Drafting a defensive end in the the early rounds of the 2011 draft wouldn't be a bad statedgy either.

The Packers have a lot of linebackers under contract in 2010 but not many have a future cemented with the Packers. Hawk is due a large roster bonus in 2011, something that he probably can rework with team for an extended contract. Hawk isn't worth a huge contract, a contract of 5 years 25 million would seem realistic, but with the emergence of Bishop and having both Chillar and Barnett under contract the Packers probably won't offer Hawk a contract. I personally would like to see the Packers sign Hawk, and keep him and Bishop in the middle, and move Barnett to the outside opposite of Mathews. Barnett can use his speed in space and stay out of the wash in the middle. Barnett might give up 20 pounds to the other outside linebackers on the team, but it is hard to overlook his ability to make big plays when on the field. The rest of the outside linebackers on the roster outside Mathews are replaceable. It will be strong competition in training camp for the outside position between Walden, Zombo, and Jones. Most likely Poppinga will be kept for special teams, or cut because of his contract, and the rest of them are just fodder.

Running back, the Packers can easily go into training camp with Grant as their number one back, Jackson is a free agent and probably won't be back, he is very good at blitz pickup, and decent at catching the ball out of the backfield, but he is replacable with a younger player. Starks could make it or break it in training camp next season, he hasn't earned a spot on the roster yet for next season although he is curren't going to be 2nd on the depth chart at the open of camp. Packers are probably going to invest in a running back during the 2011 draft, value will be the key to where Thompson takes a running back.

Offensive line will need a bit of an overhall. The Packers would be foolish to go another season with Clifton as the starting left tackle without a premium replacement on the roster. Bulaga looks the part at right tackle, TJ Lang is a misfit right now, if Bulaga moves over to left tackle then Lang could be the answer at right tackle but he has not progressed since last season, and he also might be in line for a starting spot at left guard if the Packers don't resign Colledge which in all likelyhood will be the case. The Packers are going to have to spend another early draft pick on an offensive lineman, most likely at left tackle where this draft class has quality top tier depth. .

Wide receiver will be more of the same in 2011. The Packers have the best corps in the NFL, but neither Jones or Nelson have made the leaps needed to unseat Driver. Donald Driver will be back. Swain could be replaced, but he is one of the very few steady bright spots on special teams.

The Packers simply has too many fullbacks and Corey Hall looks to be out of job in 2011. John Kuhn is to valuable to the offense and to special teams, and Quinn Johnson is a road grader.

The defensive backfield is mix of old and new, with Tramon Williams turning into a shut down corner which allows Charles Woodson to roam the field. The emergence of Sam Shields is a pleasant suprise considering he was a man without a position when he was signed as a free agent. Nick Collins is an All-Pro and Peprah has done a fine job, but he might lose his job to Charles Woodson if Woodson makes the move to safety and the Packers hit the jackpot and sign Nnamdi Asomugha who has said to be interested in playing next to Charles Woodson. What was a weakness in 2009, has now become a strong hold for the Packers. Lee and Underwood could be replaced by younger players with more potential.

Kickers, Masthay has been a welcomed addition considering the Packers have struggled for ten years to find a quality punter. Mason Crosby job is at a crossroads, and the Packers would be fools to just hand him the job in 2011.

Hopefully TT will continue to draft like he's done recently. Since we have our core players and talent throughout the roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade up again.

I'm still not sold on letting Jackson go because he is a good 3rd down back.This article really shows how the Packers backs have been excelling at pass-blocking, especially Jackson.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...tecting-backs/

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The Packers are going to have to spend another early draft pick on an offensive lineman, most likely at left tackle where this draft class has quality top tier depth.
    I don't personally agree. I think that your second tier LT prospects from last year's draft, guys like Bulaga and Saffold are far and away better LT prospects than anybody in this upcoming draft (Solder is intriguing as a prospect, but he's really... really raw, shouldn't start as a rookie). There's a reasonable supply of right tackles though, looking at guys like Gabe Carimi and Marcus Cannon.

Their best bet is probably moving Bulaga to the left side and trying to fill a hole at RT. Though I wouldn't sleep on Newhouse, even though he collected a paycheck all year while being inactive. He has good feet and technique, he just needs to get stronger.
    Last edited by Lurker64; 01-21-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    </delurk>

The Packers can get along without the often injured Jenkins, they have plenty of depth along the defensive line, I would like them to resign Howard Green for a veterans min, so you have three large bodies in Raji, Pickett, and Green. Along youngsters at Defensive End in Wynn, Wilson, and Neal. Drafting a defensive end in the the early rounds of the 2011 draft wouldn't be a bad statedgy either.

The Packers have a lot of linebackers under contract in 2010 but not many have a future cemented with the Packers. Hawk is due a large roster bonus in 2011, something that he probably can rework with team for an extended contract. Hawk isn't worth a huge contract, a contract of 5 years 25 million would seem realistic, but with the emergence of Bishop and having both Chillar and Barnett under contract the Packers probably won't offer Hawk a contract. I personally would like to see the Packers sign Hawk, and keep him and Bishop in the middle, and move Barnett to the outside opposite of Mathews. Barnett can use his speed in space and stay out of the wash in the middle. Barnett might give up 20 pounds to the other outside linebackers on the team, but it is hard to overlook his ability to make big plays when on the field. The rest of the outside linebackers on the roster outside Mathews are replaceable. It will be strong competition in training camp for the outside position between Walden, Zombo, and Jones. Most likely Poppinga will be kept for special teams, or cut because of his contract, and the rest of them are just fodder.

Running back, the Packers can easily go into training camp with Grant as their number one back, Jackson is a free agent and probably won't be back, he is very good at blitz pickup, and decent at catching the ball out of the backfield, but he is replacable with a younger player. Starks could make it or break it in training camp next season, he hasn't earned a spot on the roster yet for next season although he is curren't going to be 2nd on the depth chart at the open of camp. Packers are probably going to invest in a running back during the 2011 draft, value will be the key to where Thompson takes a running back.

Offensive line will need a bit of an overhall. The Packers would be foolish to go another season with Clifton as the starting left tackle without a premium replacement on the roster. Bulaga looks the part at right tackle, TJ Lang is a misfit right now, if Bulaga moves over to left tackle then Lang could be the answer at right tackle but he has not progressed since last season, and he also might be in line for a starting spot at left guard if the Packers don't resign Colledge which in all likelyhood will be the case. The Packers are going to have to spend another early draft pick on an offensive lineman, most likely at left tackle where this draft class has quality top tier depth. .

Wide receiver will be more of the same in 2011. The Packers have the best corps in the NFL, but neither Jones or Nelson have made the leaps needed to unseat Driver. Donald Driver will be back. Swain could be replaced, but he is one of the very few steady bright spots on special teams.

The Packers simply has too many fullbacks and Corey Hall looks to be out of job in 2011. John Kuhn is to valuable to the offense and to special teams, and Quinn Johnson is a road grader.

The defensive backfield is mix of old and new, with Tramon Williams turning into a shut down corner which allows Charles Woodson to roam the field. The emergence of Sam Shields is a pleasant suprise considering he was a man without a position when he was signed as a free agent. Nick Collins is an All-Pro and Peprah has done a fine job, but he might lose his job to Charles Woodson if Woodson makes the move to safety and the Packers hit the jackpot and sign Nnamdi Asomugha who has said to be interested in playing next to Charles Woodson. What was a weakness in 2009, has now become a strong hold for the Packers. Lee and Underwood could be replaced by younger players with more potential.

Kickers, Masthay has been a welcomed addition considering the Packers have struggled for ten years to find a quality punter. Mason Crosby job is at a crossroads, and the Packers would be fools to just hand him the job in 2011.
    Nutz, stick around and post awhile, we miss your opinions. Time to forget the past and move forward.

One thing I find intriguing would be moving Woodson to safety in the event we find a player at CB to add to our 2 young guns. Wood could still be the nickel playing slot with Peprah or Burnett coming in as the official nickel back.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Time to forget the past and move forward.
    He who forgets his interceptions is doomed to repeat them

Mason Crosby job is at a crossroads, and the Packers would be fools to just hand him the job in 2011.

I liked the whole post, but this last part just leaped out at me. Fools? Look, Crosby altered his kicks from last year where he was missing just to the right to this year where he misses off the left upright. Seriously though - the guy has done just about everything right, and there have been pages and pages about how Stubby will use him far more from 45+ than other kickers in the league. Take tomorrow - Lovie Smith most likely will have a 40-45 yard maximum cap on Gould, who is considered a total money kicker - mostly because he's accurate and Lovie doesn't put him out there for a lot of long attempts. Crosby, even in the (likely) bitter cold, will probably be trotted out there for anything within a couple of yards of 50 (unless it's extremely low scoring and Stubby has to play field position). Unless Crosby goes on a post-season five month bender, misses all the OTAs, shows up chubbier than Sebastian Janikowski, and flops on his ass in August, I can't imagine him not being a shoo-in as PK. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I liked the whole post, but this last part just leaped out at me. Fools? Look, Crosby altered his kicks from last year where he was missing just to the right to this year where he misses off the left upright. Seriously though - the guy has done just about everything right, and there have been pages and pages about how Stubby will use him far more from 45+ than other kickers in the league. Take tomorrow - Lovie Smith most likely will have a 40-45 yard maximum cap on Gould, who is considered a total money kicker - mostly because he's accurate and Lovie doesn't put him out there for a lot of long attempts. Crosby, even in the (likely) bitter cold, will probably be trotted out there for anything within a couple of yards of 50 (unless it's extremely low scoring and Stubby has to play field position). Unless Crosby goes on a post-season five month bender, misses all the OTAs, shows up chubbier than Sebastian Janikowski, and flops on his ass in August, I can't imagine him not being a shoo-in as PK. What am I missing?
    I'll say the same thing about Crosby that I say any time someone says "it's time to replace [special team specialist]": You don't replace Mason Crosby until you find someone better. Even if Crosby is in the 80th percentile of placekickers, guys in the 81st percentile aren't exactly falling out of the sky. You might want to bring in just somebody to compete, but again that depends on how many roster spots you're allowed for camp. Since the NFLE exemption vanished so the offseason roster went from 86 to 80, teams became much less likely to keep backup specialists on the roster assuming that the P/K they already had was at least B- quality, since those late round bottom of the roster guys at RB (Arian Foster), CB (Tramon Williams), or WR (Miles Austin) may well end up helping your team a whole lot more than a second punter.

Kicking throughout the NFL just isn't very good these days. But if you can actually show me somebody better who's available and not too expensive, I'll listen. Until then, Crosby's staying.
    </delurk>