Thread: Why no FG's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    A 50 yd FG is never a gimmie and both teams didn't want to give the other any good field position. It was a close game so any swing with a missed FG could have either given the Packers a chance to blow the game open or given the Bears a chance to get back into the game. I didn't have a problem with no FGs and thought it was smart playing by both coaches.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Gould has attempted only 9 FGs of 50+ in six years, and four of them were this year. I suspect most were either in the best of conditions, or situations when there was really no other choice. I have seen the Bears pass up 45-50 yarders in not horrible conditions. Gould does not have a strong leg for FGs, but he is accurate under 45 yards or so.

In contrast, Crosby has attempted 21of 50+ in just 4 years.

The overall league average for FGs of 50+ has been about 50-55% the last 10 seasons. In the decade of the 1990s, it was 47.8%. Crosby is close at 10/21, which of course includes the 67 yard attempt, which came up just short. If memory serves me correctly, he has had at least three misses that have hit the uprights from 50+, so he is close on most from long range.