Thread: Why no FG's?

Why no FG's?

Was it windy in Soldier field today?

Seemed to me there was a couple of opportunities for both teams to kick an FG that would've made a big difference.

We punted from the 35, and in the first half the Bears punted from the 31?

Both teams have strong legged kickers, were neither of those worth a chance?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

10 to 15 mph winds and a temp in the teens. very tough kicking conditions. i think the chances we had to kick FG were from over 50 yards

No FGs 'cos of turnover in Bears redzone; we had 'em then and there but AR made bad play...then tackled Urlacher (big play). We let Bears back in by fucking our own minds up.

We had Bears in headlights look. But a handfull of Packer players kept their cool and WE WON! The best team won!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Was it windy in Soldier field today?

Seemed to me there was a couple of opportunities for both teams to kick an FG that would've made a big difference.

We punted from the 35, and in the first half the Bears punted from the 31?

Both teams have strong legged kickers, were neither of those worth a chance?
    Actually, neither one is very good from 50+ even in good kicking conditions.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    we had 'em then and there but AR made bad play...then tackled Urlacher (big play).
    Reminded me of this moment:

I think it's a combination of: windy, cold, and bad footing. Pretty poor conditions for kicking. You could tell that the ball wasn't even sailing that well on kickoffs (by either team).
    Last edited by Lurker64; 01-24-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    </delurk>

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    A 50 yd FG is never a gimmie and both teams didn't want to give the other any good field position. It was a close game so any swing with a missed FG could have either given the Packers a chance to blow the game open or given the Bears a chance to get back into the game. I didn't have a problem with no FGs and thought it was smart playing by both coaches.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Gould has attempted only 9 FGs of 50+ in six years, and four of them were this year. I suspect most were either in the best of conditions, or situations when there was really no other choice. I have seen the Bears pass up 45-50 yarders in not horrible conditions. Gould does not have a strong leg for FGs, but he is accurate under 45 yards or so.

In contrast, Crosby has attempted 21of 50+ in just 4 years.

The overall league average for FGs of 50+ has been about 50-55% the last 10 seasons. In the decade of the 1990s, it was 47.8%. Crosby is close at 10/21, which of course includes the 67 yard attempt, which came up just short. If memory serves me correctly, he has had at least three misses that have hit the uprights from 50+, so he is close on most from long range.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    I think it's a combination of: windy, cold, and bad footing. Pretty poor conditions for kicking. You could tell that the ball wasn't even sailing that well on kickoffs (by either team).
    Kinda makes Masthay's day even more impressive! 5 punts inside the 20.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    Kinda makes Masthay's day even more impressive! 5 punts inside the 20.
    ... and he was just as good against the Bears and Hester in the last game, 8 punts, 4 inside the 20, only 2 returned. In the 7 games after the bye, he had 13 punts inside the 20, and just 2 touchbacks. It is starting to look like he is a very good punter, not just a punter having a good game or two.

I still think his best performance was against Atlanta. I'd like to see him repeat that one in the SB.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    ... and he was just as good against the Bears and Hester in the last game, 8 punts, 4 inside the 20, only 2 returned. In the 7 games after the bye, he had 13 punts inside the 20, and just 2 touchbacks. It is starting to look like he is a very good punter, not just a punter having a good game or two.
    Agreed in spades. He has been absolutely pinning the other teams back there, it seems like every second punt is I20.

WRT the field goals, Chicago not trying from the 31 still surprises me, but I guess that's a 48 yarder. Punting sure didn't do them any good, ended up with 11 yards net.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I still think his best performance was against Atlanta. I'd like to see him repeat that one in the SB.
    He WAS flawless in that game, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He WAS flawless in that game, wasn't he?
    Well, Crosby missed one kick... as the holder I don't know if I can completely absolve Masthay of blame.
    Last edited by Lurker64; 01-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    </delurk>