Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Truly Special Teams

I enjoyed the fact that Bigby and Hall were activeted solely to help special teams, and while Hall did have the one penalty I believe on a punt for 5 yards, he also helped make an impact in terms of controlling where the runner was going. I don't know how big of a impact Bigby had, but Hall clearly helped out a lot.

It's always been a wonder to me how Quin Johnson somehow leap frogged Hall as our starting FB. I dont' even remember how it happened.

Maybe if Slocum feels his job is on the line every single week the ST will continue to do well!

And I hope Masthay gets a game ball. That was the best punting performance I've ever seen.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234 View Post
    It's always been a wonder to me how Quin Johnson somehow leap frogged Hall as our starting FB. I dont' even remember how it happened.
    Comes down to blocking. Hall has always been able to effectively "get in the way" of the person he's trying to block, but Quinn Johnson is a hammer. Wasn't playing much before this season because he's not the sharpest bulb in this metaphor and he didn't really have a handle on the offense. But now that Johnson has the offense down, he's definitely a better hammer in run-blocking.
    </delurk>

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...kers-at-bears/

Rookie Tim Masthay (+4.7) had the second-best graded game by any punter this season, and doing it on a freezing-cold day with Devin Hester on the other end of his punts is enough to earn him legend status in Green Bay. While the Packers offense struggled, Masthay was consistently able to pin the Bears deep in their own territory — five times inside their own 20-yard line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I want all the "FIRE SLOCUM" Rats to repent!
    )

as soon as you admit MM is an outstanding NFL coach and one of the top five in the NFL
    then we'll think about geting behind you in line
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    [QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;571130]Our "special" teams went from:

I thought I told you never to post my picture again!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    Comes down to blocking. Hall has always been able to effectively "get in the way" of the person he's trying to block, but Quinn Johnson is a hammer. Wasn't playing much before this season because he's not the sharpest bulb in this metaphor and he didn't really have a handle on the offense. But now that Johnson has the offense down, he's definitely a better hammer in run-blocking.
    That's his nickname around this neck of the woods too!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Hmmm. "Get in the Way" Hall doesn't have much of a ring to it!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hmmm. "Get in the Way" Hall doesn't have much of a ring to it!

Just slightly better than "Annie"

His brother's nickname is "Kids in the" Hall.

KYPack

The punting and coverage yesterday was excellent. Some of the best that I can recall in several years. When done well it can change a game and that was evident yesterday.

However, I was glad that Chicago did not try an on-sides kick though.

It's mildly interesting that TT cast-off Jeremy Kapinos is punting for the Steelers but how much you want to bet that ESPN will do a feature with Kapinos on how he feels going into the big game. Too many analysts with too many hours to fill. Puke.

Blog Entries
    Kapinos was pretty bitter when McCarthy called him out after the season mentioning in an interview that the punting needed to improve. It was an obvious comment by McCarthy, but I remember Kapinos being real sensitive about it, barking back and shifting blame to the coverage unit.

Here's a link.

It's obvious how much better Masthay has been than Kapinos in GB, particularly in the second half of the season, but I was interested to see if Kapinos had improved and/or whether there was any merit to his arguments.

Here are the numbers from this year. Obviously 14 punts isn't a lot to go on, but Kapinos has improved his Inside the 20 percentage from last year, which was a problem when he was in Green Bay. I can't find hangtime stats, but his net average has been consistently poor across teams, so it's probably safe to say Kapinos' weak leg is the primary cause.

Code:
    Player	Punts	Avg	Rank	Net	Rank	i20 %	Rank
    Masthay	71	43.9	13	37.6	19	35.21%	 14 
    Kapinos	14	41.1	32	32.3	36	35.71%	 13
    Long story short, Kapinos isn't much of a story even for Super Bowl week. He's still a below average punter at best filling in for the injured guy who'll probably replace him when he's healthy again.
    Last edited by vince; 01-25-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    )

as soon as you admit MM is an outstanding NFL coach and one of the top five in the NFL
    then we'll think about geting behind you in line
    ...I just took heed of your ranking too, here on PR, of McCarthy a little while ago; I believe you had Stubby around middle of the pack (# 15 or so)? Still not all that shabby...for a game day head coach but I really liked that Rat poster (think it was 'mission') that said "McCarthy is the best NFL head coach from monday till saturday". I truely believe the latter now. Or at least on par with hoody [from monday till saturday]. Game day...hmm, a lot to prove & thank goodness for Packers defense I'd say!
    Last edited by mmmdk; 01-25-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: To add the word 'too'.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Ground Rat
    I gotta say I'm excited about Masthay's development this season. I guess because its been awhile since we had a decent punter, but he seems to growing into the job and up right before our eyes. As the stakes got higher and higher his game got better and better. Compare that in contrast to the Jets punter who supposedly had a nice season only to choke come the playoffs.

I've seen the bears win a lot of games because of Maynard's punting ability over the years. I'm really really impressed w/ Masthay.

I'm not ready to say the special teams are solid yet. Our punting game has improved but didn't the Pack just give up a 102 yard return last week? When is the last time we had a return for a score? Heck, it's been a while since we've started on the 40 or better after a kick off?

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'm not ready to say the special teams are solid yet. Our punting game has improved but didn't the Pack just give up a 102 yard return last week? When is the last time we had a return for a score? Heck, it's been a while since we've started on the 40 or better after a kick off?
    Tramon will take a punt to the house in the SB.

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    I see your Hester and raise you Masthay : D

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Masthay/coverage team neutralized Hester. that alone should bring kudos to the Special teams.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    There's more to special teams than just punt coverage.

When was the last time the Packers blocked a punt or field goal attempt?

It would sure be nice to have a Desmond Howard type returner to scare the hell out of the opposition on every punt or kickoff.

Lot's of room for improvement but it does look like the punting department has been corrected.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Slocum sucks
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.