Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Rodgers, the most complete Packer QB ever?

Aaron Rodgers, the most complete Packer QB ever?

I read this description recently, and thought it was good. I wish I remembered who wrote it, but I don't; so my apologies for not properly crediting it.

The gist of the article was that AR is the best ever for Green Bay because he is:

Bart Starr with a better arm,
    Lynn Dickey with better legs.
    Brett Favre with a better head.

You know what? It might be true

It makes me think he isn't long for the world of QB'ing. At least tonight he seemed mostly unscathed. But its hard to find fault with the QB he has become.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I read this description recently, and thought it was good. I wish I remembered who wrote it, but I don't; so my apologies for not properly crediting it.

The gist of the article was that AR is the best ever for Green Bay because he is:

If he would just go with a mullet next year he would have it all!! Sans the Magic man!

I'm glad that someone thought to include Dickey - that guy was a damn good QB, except he was about as mobile as Roseanne Barr.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Perception vs. Reality.

Funny how the knock against A-Rod his first two years was that he was not tough enough. Was he injured two years in a row despite minimal playing time? Yeah, he was. So was he tough along and it was unfair criticism or did he become tough?

Aaron Rodgers has been my avatar since Brett Favre retired [as a Packer]. I loved the draft pick, I have several Cal games on dvd with my man Rodgers; I was believing & hoping that Rodgers was our next great QB. Proud to have been a backer since day one. Equally sorry that I didn't detect the qualities of Mike McCarthy and that I merely judged him on gamedays - I've think we've all learned what McCarthy is about as a head coach. A great personel guy & gets his players ready and in position to excell; heck playcalling improved during 2010-11 season & Packers are super bowl Champs. Lastly, I never question TT and that just leavesthis to say: THANKSTED
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm glad that someone thought to include Dickey - that guy was a damn good QB, except he was about as mobile as Roseanne Barr.
    Always been a fan of Dickey, he may have been the first QB born without cartiledge in either of his knees.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon View Post
    Perception vs. Reality.

Funny how the knock against A-Rod his first two years was that he was not tough enough. Was he injured two years in a row despite minimal playing time? Yeah, he was. So was he tough along and it was unfair criticism or did he become tough?
    I think it was unfair criticism. After all, he broke his foot against NE one year in the third quarter (if I remember correctly) and finished the game on a broken foot. When people were wondering if he was injury-prone, Christl's response was "wait until he's a full-time starter;" the idea being that when his body was used to getting hit several times a day, it would hold up better than when it was getting hit only for only one game in a football year.

As an interesting stat of comparison, in a GB uniform, there were only 6 games that Favre couldn't complete due to injury. In half of them, his backup QB suffered a season-ending injury and finished the year on IR. I don't think that's because they were all injury-prone. More because a backup QB's body isn't used to the grind of getting hit all the time.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon View Post
    Perception vs. Reality.

Definitely unfair criticism. People focused solely on his being on IR while paying no attention to the nearly 30 minutes of football he played against the Patriots on a broken foot before going on IR. Rodgers is a warrior.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    The complete package in terms of intelligence, arm strength and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    The complete package in terms of intelligence, arm strength and accuracy.

My wife think he looks cute too!

That's settled then; Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL...PERIOD!!!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I remember being sad when I heard about Favre retiring (the first time) but as soon as I looked up the Rodgers highlights against the Cowboys on youtube (I believe I even made a post about it on here) I was behind him 100 percent. I was so excited for him to play. And now just 3 years starting and already a Super Bowl Champ! Get ready for a fun ride folks!

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

I was thinking about this today. He has the physical talent of a young Brett (accuracy, rocket arm, escapability) but the mental genius of Starr. He has what they both had also--toughness and leadership. Skies the limit. I just pray he stays healthy.

I don't think he has the physical ability quite that Favre had. Favre had a slightly stronger arm and Favre was a tank to take down in his prime (very much like Big Ben). He's close though and his head is much, much better. I'm hoping he can be a multi champion and go down as the greatest Packer QB of all time (even if he doesn't hold the regular season longevity records).

Favre wasn't like Big Ben. He had escapability and a nimbleness about him, but he wasn't a tank. Give Favre a slight edge on arm strength, give Rodgers a slight edge on accuracy and mobility. Both had rare physical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think it was unfair criticism. After all, he broke his foot against NE one year in the third quarter (if I remember correctly) and finished the game on a broken foot. When people were wondering if he was injury-prone, Christl's response was "wait until he's a full-time starter;" the idea being that when his body was used to getting hit several times a day, it would hold up better than when it was getting hit only for only one game in a football year.

As an interesting stat of comparison, in a GB uniform, there were only 6 games that Favre couldn't complete due to injury. In half of them, his backup QB suffered a season-ending injury and finished the year on IR. I don't think that's because they were all injury-prone. More because a backup QB's body isn't used to the grind of getting hit all the time.
    I suspect Favre might not have had his streak intact had because I'd wager he had a concussion or two while he played in GB but the league didn't treat those concussions with caution like they do today.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Favre wasn't like Big Ben. He had escapability and a nimbleness about him, but he wasn't a tank. Give Favre a slight edge on arm strength, give Rodgers a slight edge on accuracy and mobility. Both had rare physical ability.
    NFL Network did a series of programs on different Super Bowl winners and I got a fresh peek at how the young Favre used to play. In '92 and '93 Favre ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and made some really stupid picks.

As Holmgren got him under control there were fewer picks, and his scrambles were frequently spin-aways from contact followed by stretching laterally as he looked for a receiver, so I think you are right Harv. Favre did bust his weight up to about 260 for a few years, and maybe Harrell is remembering how big he was then.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    NFL Network did a series of programs on different Super Bowl winners and I got a fresh peek at how the young Favre used to play. In '92 and '93 Favre ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and made some really stupid picks.

As Holmgren got him under control there were fewer picks, and his scrambles were frequently spin-aways from contact followed by stretching laterally as he looked for a receiver, so I think you are right Harv. Favre did bust his weight up to about 260 for a few years, and maybe Harrell is remembering how big he was then.
    Didn't he come in close to 230-240 and Winters thought he was a linebacker? I do remember he gained weight again later and didn't like playing with it.

But Favre was never as big as BR. Favre was always willing (early in career) to take a blast while throwing, and he could move enough to make a sacker get a glancing shot at him rather than a takedown. What I remember (and Kevin Greene would support me) is that after slipping the big hit but still in the grasp, he would attempt to complete a pass. Often successfully.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I don't think he has the physical ability quite that Favre had. Favre had a slightly stronger arm and Favre was a tank to take down in his prime (very much like Big Ben). He's close though and his head is much, much better. I'm hoping he can be a multi champion and go down as the greatest Packer QB of all time (even if he doesn't hold the regular season longevity records).

Rodgers also puts in the hours.