Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
NFL Network did a series of programs on different Super Bowl winners and I got a fresh peek at how the young Favre used to play. In '92 and '93 Favre ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and made some really stupid picks.

As Holmgren got him under control there were fewer picks, and his scrambles were frequently spin-aways from contact followed by stretching laterally as he looked for a receiver, so I think you are right Harv. Favre did bust his weight up to about 260 for a few years, and maybe Harrell is remembering how big he was then.
Didn't he come in close to 230-240 and Winters thought he was a linebacker? I do remember he gained weight again later and didn't like playing with it.

But Favre was never as big as BR. Favre was always willing (early in career) to take a blast while throwing, and he could move enough to make a sacker get a glancing shot at him rather than a takedown. What I remember (and Kevin Greene would support me) is that after slipping the big hit but still in the grasp, he would attempt to complete a pass. Often successfully.