Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rodgers and the Championship Belt

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar

Rodgers and the Championship Belt

I read a rumor somewhere that either the belt that Clay Matthews III draped over Rodgers shoulder while hoisting the Lombardi trophy... and/or the belt that appeared with Rodgers on Letterman last night... was supplied by none other than the legendary WWE/WWF wrestling icon "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

This was the closest thing I could find to verification:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ship-belt.html

Former WWE and current TNA legend Ric Flair made an appearance on ESPNEWS Monday and claimed to have sent Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his Packers teammates two WWE World Championship belts — one of which was worn by the signal-caller as he was being presented his MVP award.

So - I'm also on record has having been completely against "The Belt" move all season long (last season too). I felt it was ridiculous, unjustified, arrogant, and childish. I repeatedly cited the reason I most felt it was inappropriate, was because the Rodgers led Packers had yet to actually win a championship.

However, now that said championship has been won, I hereby retract my earlier position and now decree:

"The Belt" is an appropriate move that Aaron should be allowed to bust into spontaneously, whenever the mood should strike. You know... in the produce section at the grocery store, getting gas at the Kwik Trip, as a new pickup line for chicks at the bar, waiting in line to renew his drivers license, at a charity appearance, in the "speak now or forever hold your peace" portion of a wedding, or during the quietest part of a somber and heart wrenching funeral...

Well, you get the idea.

Ahh - what the hell, let's be liberal with it and just go ahead and say that ANY Packer fan or employee has been given a go ahead-green light to bust out "The Belt" move at ANY given time without repercussion. While you're in that boring meeting at work, during your court appearance, at dinner with your in-laws, during the 4th grade Parent-Teacher Conference...etc. etc.

After all - they are the only NFL team owned by the community, and thus the community at large should obviously be included.

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Really, the Packers are missing a huge opportunity if they don't manufacture green and gold XLV championship belts.
    </delurk>

The belt on Sunday looked like it could have been a real belt. I think the one on Letterman was one of the cheap fake ones though.
    Go PACK

Monday on the Score Sports Radio in Chicago they had a story that one of their interns gave it to Arod's brother at the team hotel. Who knows whose belt it was on the field? Chuck "the Iceman" Liddell from the UFC was at the game and on the field Sunday, Letterman gave him one too. He's gonna have these belts coming out of his ears.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...-for-wwe-belt/
    there is a link on there where the kid talks

Rodgers Can Thank The Score Intern For WWE Belt

DALLAS (CBS) – Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has an intern with The Score-670 AM radio to thank for the pro-wrestling belt that was hanging over his shoulder as he was named Super Bowl MVP.

The intern, Mike Dubajic, has been working squarely in Bears territory, but he’s quick to point out: “I am a Green Bay Packers fan in and out. I’ve been a Packers fan since I was 8 years old.”

Dubajic bought the WWE championship wrestling belt, which is missing a gem, on WWE.com, in what he calls the best $375 he ever spent in his life. Last week, while in Dallas for the Super Bowl, he made sure the belt found its way into Rodgers’ hands.

“On Friday I went to the team hotel, and access to get into the hotel was very, very difficult as you’d probably imagine,” he said. “But one of the Packers security guys saw the belt, came over and grabbed it from me; swore to me over and over again that he would give it to Aaron, and he kept his promise.”

And when a WWE belt appeared on Rodgers’ shoulder has he accepted the MVP award, there was no doubt that it was the Dubajic’s. The belt is easily identifiable by its missing red diamond gem.

“The belt Aaron Rodgers had, definitely came from me,” Dubajic said.

So how does Dubajic feel about the fact that he will never see the belt again now?

“I don’t need to see it again,” he told The Score’s Mully and Hanley show. “I love that the champ’s got it and I’m satisfied.”
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time" Max McGee

Quote Originally Posted by green_bowl_packer View Post
    Monday on the Score Sports Radio in Chicago they had a story that one of their interns gave it to Arod's brother at the team hotel. Who knows whose belt it was on the field? Chuck "the Iceman" Liddell from the UFC was at the game and on the field Sunday, Letterman gave him one too. He's gonna have these belts coming out of his ears.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...-for-wwe-belt/
    there is a link on there where the kid talks

Rodgers Can Thank The Score Intern For WWE Belt

DALLAS (CBS) – Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has an intern with The Score-670 AM radio to thank for the pro-wrestling belt that was hanging over his shoulder as he was named Super Bowl MVP.

The intern, Mike Dubajic, has been working squarely in Bears territory, but he’s quick to point out: “I am a Green Bay Packers fan in and out. I’ve been a Packers fan since I was 8 years old.”

Dubajic bought the WWE championship wrestling belt, which is missing a gem, on WWE.com, in what he calls the best $375 he ever spent in his life. Last week, while in Dallas for the Super Bowl, he made sure the belt found its way into Rodgers’ hands.

“On Friday I went to the team hotel, and access to get into the hotel was very, very difficult as you’d probably imagine,” he said. “But one of the Packers security guys saw the belt, came over and grabbed it from me; swore to me over and over again that he would give it to Aaron, and he kept his promise.”

And when a WWE belt appeared on Rodgers’ shoulder has he accepted the MVP award, there was no doubt that it was the Dubajic’s. The belt is easily identifiable by its missing red diamond gem.

“The belt Aaron Rodgers had, definitely came from me,” Dubajic said.

So how does Dubajic feel about the fact that he will never see the belt again now?

“I don’t need to see it again,” he told The Score’s Mully and Hanley show. “I love that the champ’s got it and I’m satisfied.”
    That whole bit is mentioned in the original link I posted. It pays to click!
    (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ship-belt.html)
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cool story gbp. Didn't like the celebration because of the championship missing but that has been fixed and he should do it whenever he feels like it.

See, I always felt it represented a goal even though I though it was contrived. Now I think that him doing it would be arrogant and rubbing people's noses in it. Sure, he can do it in the produce aisle, but I think during games he should just jump around and party after a score.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    See, I always felt it represented a goal even though I though it was contrived. Now I think that him doing it would be arrogant and rubbing people's noses in it. Sure, he can do it in the produce aisle, but I think during games he should just jump around and party after a score.
    Just don't go to the ground in the produce aisle or you'll get flagged for unportabella conduct.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Just don't go to the ground in the produce aisle or you'll get flagged for unportabella conduct.
    Oh god, that was bad.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Saw a college bb player bust out a belt on sportscenter last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    Really, the Packers are missing a huge opportunity if they don't manufacture green and gold XLV championship belts.
    OMG
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

I am pretty sure his pickup line is: "Why yes, I am Aaron Rodgers."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Great post, Cap'n. I'm there with you - never liked the belt, but now we should all reserve the right to bust out the belt when the opportunity arises. Those examples you list are priceless.
    "My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole." - Harvey Wallbangers

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    I think rodgers only bust out the belt on rushing touchdown. and on passing td's its the streetfighter move.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Saw a college bb player bust out a belt on sportscenter last night.
    I saw some NBA player do it a few weeks ago. Can't remember who though.
    Go PACK

Look everybody!

It's John Oates - from "Hall and Oates" after he got 'roided out!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post
    That whole bit is mentioned in the original link I posted. It pays to click!
    (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ship-belt.html)
    My bad Captain. Happens to me all the time, and I thought no one reads my stuff.

I intend to flash it on the Bear fan who laid me off, when I see him, and then ask him how Cutler's doing.
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time" Max McGee

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Great post, Cap'n. I'm there with you - never liked the belt, but now we should all reserve the right to bust out the belt when the opportunity arises. Those examples you list are priceless.
    I think I actually C-belted some coworkers during the season. Might have been after the 49ers game. I did it after Sunday to someone also. I was a big WWF fan back in the days so I find it a classic move.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Just read your other post on this issue. You're killing me!