Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slocum's Future

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar

Slocum's Future

I'm still feeling the glow, and I don't mean to harsh anyone's buzz, but listening to Rodgers on Letterman talk about how he feared the kick-off return after the Pack got that FG at the end confirmed for me that we need a change at Special Teams.

Masthay's development is certainly something to cheer, but I wonder how much of that is Masthay and how much is Slocum. I do know the consistent inability of this team to cover kicks has grown to the point of absurdity. Time for a change. Slocum can get his ring, which will no doubt help him find another job.

But no more.

I think every Packer fan had a sinking feeling when Crosby kicked the FG. Two minutes left, less than a TD lead, and the Packers were kicking off. A scenario that has had gut wrenching results in the past far too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Masthay's development is certainly something to cheer, but I wonder how much of that is Masthay and how much is Slocum.
    Seeing as how our previous punters/scapegoats Ryan and Kapinos have gone on to find jobs with other teams, I'm guessing it's more Masthay and less Slocum.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    They shouldn't have cut Ryan. Kapinos is just as bad now as he was with the Pack. His inside the 20 rate has improved a bit, but that's it.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    My feelings would be hurt if we found a new guy, but I think Slocum bought himself another year with the improvements we've had since the first half of the season. Someone had to coach them not to commit penalties. At this point, I'm willing to give him another year and I think that's what will happen.

Blog Entries
    pretty tough IMO to let a coach go after you win the Big Show........but if MM did it he'd have my blessing
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    pretty tough IMO to let a coach go after you win the Big Show........but if MM did it he'd have my blessing
    The solution is, of course, to bring in another special teams coach. You can keep Slocum on as a lucky charm, but get somebody else to fix the kickoff coverage.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    The solution is, of course, to bring in another special teams coach. You can keep Slocum on as a lucky charm, but get somebody else to fix the kickoff coverage.
    I see your point...but we need 'ACTUAL' return players to help our return game. I second Bretsky, as you probably can't change coaches on a SB winning team, and why should TT unless their contract is up & they're lured to another team? No! Go get a PR & a KR through draft or FA 'cos you won't find the "fix it" return men on Packers current roster.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Finding a return man is one thing but coaching the team to cover a kick return is another. The PR coverage improved dramatically but KR coverage always seemed dicey at best. As Rodgers pointed out in his Letterman interview the only reason Pittsburg didn't have good field position was because of the punch some idiot threw.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Finding a return man is one thing but coaching the team to cover a kick return is another. The PR coverage improved dramatically but KR coverage always seemed dicey at best. As Rodgers pointed out in his Letterman interview the only reason Pittsburg didn't have good field position was because of the punch some idiot threw.
    I agree. I am much less concerned about who returns kicks or punts for the Packers than I am concerned about the Packers kickoff coverage. The punt team seems to have come around, but kickoff coverage is still poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree. I am much less concerned about who returns kicks or punts for the Packers than I am concerned about the Packers kickoff coverage. The punt team seems to have come around, but kickoff coverage is still poor.
    I'm with Snoopy!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I see your point...but we need 'ACTUAL' return players to help our return game. I second Bretsky, as you probably can't change coaches on a SB winning team, and why should TT unless their contract is up & they're lured to another team? No! Go get a PR & a KR through draft or FA 'cos you won't find the "fix it" return men on Packers current roster.
    I'm really more concerned about the fact that the kickoff coverage team regularly allows the other team to start between the 30 and 40 yardline (and has given up several killer returns) than the fact that our return units rarely give us great field position.
    </delurk>

I'm really more concerned about the fact that the kickoff coverage team regularly allows the other team to start between the 30 and 40 yardline (and has given up several killer returns) than the fact that our return units rarely give us great field position.
    Like Rodgers said: "still motivated". Your concern is legit in the quest for more Packers Championships in the very near future! Keep it coming.

Ground Rat
    I know injuries didn't help the ST units, but they largely sucked on coverage and returns before that.

I think every Packer fan had a sinking feeling when Crosby kicked the FG. Two minutes left, less than a TD lead, and the Packers were kicking off. A scenario that has had gut wrenching results in the past far too often.

If Slocum taught Crabtree to goad guys into punching him, I'd say give him a contract extension.

in the "return to title town" special on right now they.....and....I can't believe what i'm hearing.....they are giving the special teams kudos for great play this year...WTFF???
    The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

Quote Originally Posted by Numb View Post
    in the "return to title town" special on right now they.....and....I can't believe what i'm hearing.....they are giving the special teams kudos for great play this year...WTFF???
    PR spin after Rodgers interview on Letterman.
    C.H.U.D.

After you win the superbowl, everybody gets to feel good about themselves, at least in public.
    </delurk>

yea, a part of me wanted them to go for it. I didn't want to kick off with less than a 7 point lead.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

After you win the superbowl, everybody gets to feel good about themselves, at least in public.
    Yeah, it may of been a little too much of a buzz kill for Wayne to say something along the lines of, "Shawn, the offense and defense were able to overcome the best efforts of your Special Teams units this year and they still managed to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Titletown! Can you explain to us how it is that your group is able to continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and yet you somehow retain your job here?"

Although truthful, this maybe wasn't quite the right time and place for it.