Thread: Matthews Greene wired for sound

Blog Entries

Matthews Greene wired for sound

(Long post, those with short attention spans, please ignore)

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of this SB aftermath. NFL films has come up with their “wired for sound” features called ‘Sound FX’ which really sheds some great insights on the Pack’s fabulous Super victory. Thought I’d present some analysis based on the conversations on the field that I gleaned from these various shows.

Firstly, I thought I’d focus on the two defenses. All week all we heard about was of two DC’s. Capers and LeBeau are two of the senior DC’s in the NFL. Both of ‘em made similar adjustments in the defensive gameplan. But, both had dissimilar results. Pitt and GB decided to cover in the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh’s result was a lot worse than GB’s and “DC the DC” won the battle of coordinators.

Of the Steelers' 55 defensive snaps in Super Bowl XLV, safety Troy Polamalu lined up within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage at the snap just three times. LeBeau decided to “err on the side of coverage” and cover GB’s 3 and 4 wide receiver sets with plenty of DB’s. MM took advantage of Polamalu’s ability of ranging all over the field and forced him to try and be in 2 places at once. Troy tried to do that, but he failed. He was no factor in the game, at least no positive factor. If anyone is interested, I’d be glad to go into this.

My focus will be on the Pack. Capers also decided to cover the Steelers and isolate on QB Ben Rothlisberger. He put LOLB Clay Matthews III in a spy position and had him employ a “mirror” technique. In our loss to the Steelers last season, Big Ben gashed us with scrambles and passes off a scramble. Capers decided to take that away. So Dom had CMIII play 4 or 5 yards deep and spot up Ben R. The rush would keep him in the pocket and when he tried to break out, Clay would then follow him and crash in, not allowing Rothlisberger to leg it for yardage or make passes off the run.

But to get you have to give. The GBP defense couldn’t really blitz much. Not only that, Capers instructed his wild and crazy young LB crew NOT to blitz. That is a big responsibility for the position coaches, but they also came thru, in spades. OLB Kevin Greene is quite probably the best LB coach in the league and it really came thru in this ballgame. Greene didn’t go nuts, scream, and generally carry on during the game. He analyzed, broke down the assignments, and then communicated them clearly to his troops.

The gameplan didn’t eliminate blitzing, and it made it more effective when the Pack did blitz. At the end of the 3rd quarter, the Steelers were driving. 3rd down at the Packer 32, GB up 21 – 17. Thing are looking shaky and the Steelers are driving and Dom dialed one up. He moved Zombo to the left side, and moved CMIII to the middle. They then blitzed Zombo from the left side and had CMIII force in the middle. Clay controlled his man and then forced Big Ben to his right. BR moved to his right and stepped right into Zombo as him and Clay crashed into Ben for the sack. Tomlin then foolishly tried a long field goal by “Sushi-ham” which failed miserably, giving us good field position. As the play tumbled to the ground, Matthews was yelling, “I get half, I get half”.

Then the two ran off the field like the two happy kids they are. On the bench they were both loose and laughing. Claymat teasing, “I knew I drove him into you, I should get half on that one”.
    After their excitement wore off, Kevin Greene slid down to do a little coachin’. He calmly reviewed the footage of the sack and said, “Big time players make big time plays, that sack in the Super Bowl? outstanding job”. Then he paused for emphasis, (both young LB’s were totally focused on kevin and both were nodding their heads) “Remember, no freakin’ blitzing, no freakin’ blitzing”.

Cut to the key play of the game. Start of the 4th quarter Still 21-17 Pitt driving again, Kevin goes ten yards on the field to focus Clay. He needs his main man to give the team a boost. In a calm, clear fashion, he stares CMIII in the eyes, “Wood’s out. A lot of guys see him as the leader, and no one’s stepping forward to rally the fuckin’ troops. It is time, it is time” Kevin used both hands in an emphatic fashion. So Claymat went gave a stirring pep talk to the boys, right? Nah, he went back in the defensive huddle and didn’t say much. But then, he got animated. “Hey, I just saw ‘em all looking this way, they are going to pull it to my side” Matthews then tells Peprah, Pickett, and Bishop what’s up. He tells ‘em if he thinks the play is still on, he’ll make a motion with his arm and shout out a line call. When the Steelers hit the line, Clay reads the keys and makes his line call. “Check left, check left”, he shouts, waving his arm to let everybody he’s going. “Seal it, Pickett, seal it” At the “t” in ‘it’ The Steeler are running Clay’s way. It a pull to the “B” gap with Legursky (remember him?) and TE Johnson blocking for Mendenhall. Ryan Pickett seals it all right. He hammers both Legursky and Johnson AND gets his mitts on Mendenhall, turning the RB into CMIII. Big play Clay flat-out hammers Mendenhall and the ball, which bounces free. Desmond Bishop (who alertly trailed to the outside based on Clays’ call) scooped up the ball and we were rolling.

That’s players, coaches and the whole team all on the same page and reacting to a game situation. That kind of synergy won our asses the Super Bowl!

Very nice KY.

You should blog a play breakdown like that every game next year.

And no more disappearing during the playoffs for good luck.

The whammy is all the mojo we need.
    Last edited by swede; 02-12-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Nice post KY. +1 for swede's comment on play breakdowns next year. I'm not one to normally read a long ass post.

Damn am I fired up right now. I wish it was August. Great post KYP.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Thx, Whiskey & Swede.

Yeah W, maybe I should do some "Redneck-Cliff Notes version" posts, too, eh?

One thing I was struck by in the "wired" footage.

The Packer sideline was business. Sharp assistants doing their jobs, getting their personnel groups prepared to go back out and play.

Steelers? Lotta bullshit macho posturing going on. From the head coach on down. How much does "C'mon on, let's go!" really help yer ass? That big hairy Keisel was the worst offender. Give me information, don't bitch at me to "go" or 'kick ass'. That shit don't really help you do anything.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great post KY. I too really liked the wired footage. The Steelers seemed to think they could outphysical what they thought of as a finesse team. They found out the Packers can play, and beat you, a lot of different ways depending on the circumstances.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Yeah W, maybe I should do some "Redneck-Cliff Notes version" posts, too, eh?
    It takes me a while to sound out those big words.

There are three parts of Super Bowl "Sound FX". All are great. Here's part 1......

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...owl-XLV-Part-1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Packgator View Post
    There are three parts of Super Bowl "Sound FX". All are great. Here's part 1......

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...owl-XLV-Part-1
    Click on Part 3 to see the bit i was talking about w/ Clay and KGreene. Kevin's got so much charisma, it's sick. He's all football, no rah-rah horseshit.

Nice article

I enjoyed the clip of Woodley bitchin to the official that Bulaga was holdin him then the official tellin him that Tomlin told him to shut up and go get the QB.
    Go PACK

Fabulous read - thank you!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Thanks KY. Isn't that 'the TRUTH'.

I wondered how Dom Capers would accomplish those two major crieria towords a possible Packer victory and we saw it happen.

I hope we can hold onto DC's awesome talent. We're going to see some major moves soon out of our camp. Other NFL teams will see a benefit fr. the Packer ways. That's a reality that TT will have to somehow be prepared for and counteract.

GO PACKERS !

GO Ted Thompson. React man !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I enjoyed the clip of Woodley bitchin to the official that Bulaga was holdin him then the official tellin him that Tomlin told him to shut up and go get the QB.
    At times in 2010, I thought our whole OLine was shit. Cliffy played like a broken down old man (I can relate) and Bulaga played like a confused young kid. Then, in the stretch, the whole deal flip flopped. Cliffy got healthy and showed his old fire. Hell this might have been Cliffy's best year as a pro.
    Bulaga went to work. He shrugged off an ugly game and studied tape and worked on his fundamentals. He knew what is like to have a awful game and he was determined not to go there again.

By the end of the year, they were one of the best tackle tandems in the league.

Let's hope they can continue to be the best tackle tandems next seasn.

Off seasons do peculiar things to old players, even very good ones. Often they return just a shadow of what they were the season before. The Packers have to be prepared for that to happen to Clifton, Driver and/or Woodson.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Off seasons do peculiar things to old players, even very good ones. Often they return just a shadow of what they were the season before. The Packers have to be prepared for that to happen to Clifton, Driver and/or Woodson.
    I think we already saw that happen to Driver this season.