Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Woodson recruiting Asomugha?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    “I’m not doing any recruiting,” Woodson said
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Woodson may well be telling the truth, and there's no reason not to take him at face value, but there's no way in hell he'd disclose any discussions he's had with Asomugha about coming to Green Bay to the public regardless. It's so unlikely that he ends up in Green Bay and it'd be such a lightning rod that would cause a bunch of negative problems.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/include...&section_id=40

Even better part of the interview, CJ Wilson can tickle the ivories and the Packers held a sing along late in Super Bowl week.

Jason Wilde
    Feb 20, 2011 5:07pm
    Woodson joins 'Green and Gold Today'

By JASON WILDE
    jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

GREEN BAY – Charles Woodson never made it to Los Angeles, but he did make it onto Green and Gold Today on Friday.

The Green Bay Packers veteran cornerback had been scheduled to fly to Southern California for a charity golf event and other business meetings but had his flight canceled. So instead, he spent about 20 minutes addressing all kinds of topics on ESPNMilwaukee.com and ESPNMadison.com’s daily Packers-centric show.

To listen to the interview, click here.

Meanwhile, here is a transcript, courtesy of ESPNMilwaukee intern Tony Atkins, from the interview:

On ringing the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange:“That was great. That was a lot of fun. It was good, me and John Kuhn, Ryan Grant, and President Mark Murphy. We had a great time, it was pretty exciting. It was the second time I had done it. I had done it in “97” when I won the Heisman Trophy. I did the opening bell then. This time the closing bell but it was a lot of fun.”

On his fractured collarbone and the prognosis of when he’ll be ready to return to action: “We’re just going to let it heal on its own. We figured that it may cause more damage if I were to put a plate in it right now, complications from a surgery, or maybe it not healing right with the plate on it so it’s better to let it heal on its own. If we had to do something later on we could, but we’re not even going to chance it at this point. … I think I will be like any other (bone) break that I’ve had. It’s usually a six to eight week type of deal before it’s totally healed so I guess I’m looking at the same timeline with this injury.”

On if it has sunk in that he’s a Super Bowl champion after all this time: “Yeah, it really has actually. I think for me it set in pretty quickly. With everything that happened with the collarbone and the not being able to play and all of the emotions at halftime, the end of that game with Tramon (Williams) breaking up that last pass, then Aaron (Rodgers) and the guys taking that knee. I think I was pretty much ready for it and it set in pretty quickly for me that we were the champions.”

On how single-minded he was about winning a Super Bowl after all he had accomplished in his football career: “It was an incredible feeling. The only thing that could possibly take away from the feeling was the fact that I couldn’t finish the game. The one part about that day that helped it sink in for me was the confetti. That’s one thing that I’ve always wanted to do is stand under the confetti as a Super Bowl champion so I got a chance to experience that. When I’m done playing, whenever that is, I want to be considered a great player and maybe a lot of people would say that regardless of if I won a championship of not. But for myself to be truly, truly great, I believe you got to have that championship, you got to help a team win it all and we did that this year. So that was the last thing on my list and now the only thing to do is repeat you got to do it again.”

On if he’s a Pro Football Hall of Famer now that he’s won a Super Bowl: “If I’m not, tell me what I’ve got to do and my track record says I get it done. So that’s the way I look at it.

On the scene the night before the Super Bowl, when the players had in impromptu sing-along: “We have a young guy in C.J. Wilson that can really flat out play the piano. He can sit down and go from one song to the next without missing a beat and everybody was gathered around the piano. Greg Jennings actually got up and sang a couple songs and a couple other guys chimed in. It was an incredible scene because at that point you knew everybody was relaxed, everybody was focused because everybody let their guard down and everybody was ready to seize this moment and go out there and win a Super Bowl. … I think it was because the talk about us was experience and how young of a team we were, how many times Pittsburgh had been there, and they are the veteran team and that sort of thing. We don’t care about that. It’s not about how many times you played and how many players played in the Super Bowl its about who goes out and plays the best football on that particular Sunday and we were ready to do that.”

On the possibility of Nnamdi Asomugha, his former teammate in Oakland, signing with the Packers as a free agent: “I’m not doing any recruiting. We’ve texted a few times about winning a Super Bowl. Nothing really about his future I don’t know what’s going on about him and Oakland or anything else. When I look at our team and I look at young Sam (Shields) and Tramon, (I think), ‘Where’s he going to fit? How is that possibly going to work out?’ I think that would be the first question you have to ask.

On the idea of moving to safety to accommodate Asomugha: “If I talked to Dom (Capers) and he thought that was the best thing for us to win another championship I would do it. This thing is about winning. If this would have been my fifth year in the league I probably would have told you hell no but at this point if that was going to get me another championship why wouldn’t I?”

On how his role, especially in the nickel, has evolved to more of a safety-like position instead of cornerback: “It is because I’m counted on a lot to play the run. So it’s not just covering out there on the outside. Sometime I line up at safety, sometimes I line up in the box, I’m counted on in the run a lot anyways. But I’m in a position where I can do a multitude of things and that’s what really been the most fun about the whole deal is that I’m able to do a lot of things.

On if, at age 34, his game has changed or if age is catching up to him: “I feel like in large part I’m the exact same guy. I don’t feel like I lost really anything honestly. I don’t think I’m as quick as I once was but I think (Running) straight ahead I still have the speed close to what I was years ago. I don’t think I’ve lost a whole lot of anything out there. I think, of course instincts are still there, I could always tackle and I could still tackle with the best of them. So I don’t think I’ve lost close to anything.

On mentoring Shields and Williams and watching how they grew as players: “I take some pride in the fact that I think I’ve been a guy that they can watch Sam for a very short period of time and Tramon for a few years now. I think I’ve been a guy that they’ve been able to watch go out there and play at a high level, a guy that understands the game. I think with Tramon, he’s been around a few years, he’s seen me make a lot of plays and I think that’s something that makes him look to himself and says I can do that as well as long as I put the time in, do the studying you need to do, practice the way you need to practice and I can do the same thing. He was already an incredible athlete, but once he really understood the game you knew he was going to be good. The season he had was unbelievable. Nobody expected it to go as well as it did but once he got his opportunity he took control of it and he never looked back.”

On how closely he is monitoring the CBA negotiations and how worried he is about there not being a 2011 season: “Very closely. Honestly, I’m not overly concerned because I feel that there is way too much money at stake for the owners to lock the players out during the duration of a whole season. When it comes down to it, they are all businessmen and they all want to make money. You see this thing going into mediation I guess they’re supposed to meet for the next seven days. They’re serious about getting this done. Nobody wants to lift football. I don’t know how long this will drag out but I know this will get done.

On the owners’ desire to institute an 18-game schedule: “We would definitely change the offseason but I’m definitely not in favor of two more games. I just think if you go around the NFL and you look at the amount of players that each team has that has ether had surgery or are trying to wait around and see if they need surgery. Two more game doesn’t help that cause. Players take a beating over sixteen games and eighteen is just going to pile on to it (injuries) and over time I think it’ll be bad for the game so I’m definitely not in favor of that.”

On a CBSSports.com column by Mike Freeman about how Rodgers should forgive Brett Favre: “I think that Aaron has handled this thing as well as anybody could have ever handled it especially coming in and following a guy like Brett Favre. It’s funny, there is a picture of Aaron in our training room and his (No.) 12 jersey is very small and then there is Brett Favre’s jersey and it’s huge and in quotation it says “How does it fit?” But I just look at how he handled the situation and he’s outgrown that jersey and has done a tremendous job for this team. Its funny watching him when I first got here thinking when is this guy going to get a chance. When he got it, he never looked back and now he’s, in my opinion, top three (QBs) in the league and I feel that he doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do. I know that there might have been some bad blood or whatever in his years here and maybe he thinks Brett didn’t try to help him in his development but it has no bearing on what we do as a team. If he wants to talk to him fine. If not, we move on.”

Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on “Green & Gold Today,” and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonwilde.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Woodson may well be telling the truth, and there's no reason not to take him at face value, but there's no way in hell he'd disclose any discussions he's had with Asomugha about coming to Green Bay to the public regardless. It's so unlikely that he ends up in Green Bay and it'd be such a lightning rod that would cause a bunch of negative problems.
    It also might constitute tampering since Asomugha has exclusive negotiating rights with Oakland until Mar. 3, or whenever the new league year starts.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It's interesting hearing from Woodson he is willing to play safety if that's what it took to get big A on the field. Most people always felt that Woodson would be a great safety, even if he is still pretty darn good as a CB. Obviously the chances of this happening are slim, but if they are talking about it at all it has to be enticing, especially if the packers are willing to move Woodson. That oculd be how you get all 5 ont he field, and while Burnett would be "held back", who cares if it helps get us another ring?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    On the owners’ desire to institute an 18-game schedule: “We would definitely change the offseason but I’m definitely not in favor of two more games. I just think if you go around the NFL and you look at the amount of players that each team has that has ether had surgery or are trying to wait around and see if they need surgery. Two more game doesn’t help that cause. Players take a beating over sixteen games and eighteen is just going to pile on to it (injuries) and over time I think it’ll be bad for the game so I’m definitely not in favor of that.”
    I completely agree. 18 games is absurd.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It also might constitute tampering since Asomugha has exclusive negotiating rights with Oakland until Mar. 3, or whenever the new league year starts.
    He was cut, so I don't think this applies. That is why is was visiting other teams.
    If you don't like me....bite me...
    ....want some, come get some!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I completely agree. 18 games is absurd.
    It's gonna happen.

Realistically, the starters play, what, maybe 3 or 4 quarters or so on average in those two preseason games that get eliminated with the 18 game schedule? So it'll only have the starters on the filed for a little over one more game than they are on the field for now.

Everyone pretty much agrees that we don't need 4 preseason games, and that preseason football is a waste, so it makes too much sense to eliminate the two preseason games, and increase revenue instead of decreasing it by replacing them with regular season games that will be on TV.
    Last edited by get louder at lambeau; 02-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Why not an 18 game season with two bye weeks and 2 less preseason games?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't think players can be accused of tampering. I only think it's coaches or GMs or teams that can. (I could be wrong.)
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy View Post
    He was cut, so I don't think this applies. That is why is was visiting other teams.
    I don't think he's been cut yet; has he?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234 View Post
    It's interesting hearing from Woodson he is willing to play safety if that's what it took to get big A on the field. Most people always felt that Woodson would be a great safety, even if he is still pretty darn good as a CB. Obviously the chances of this happening are slim, but if they are talking about it at all it has to be enticing, especially if the packers are willing to move Woodson. That oculd be how you get all 5 ont he field, and while Burnett would be "held back", who cares if it helps get us another ring?
    Well, how many years does Woodson have left? I could foresee a scenario where Burnett sits on the bench for the next two years (and be the sixth DB), learning the craft from Woodson and Collins. Then, when Woodson runs out of wheels, Burnett steps in and Woodson takes the sixth DB spot (like Driver and the WRs). Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Why not an 18 game season with two bye weeks and 2 less preseason games?
    That's kind of the leading plan, I think.

Amazing how everyone can "pick up talking points". As louder mentioned, it's really only one more game, and that's only if you were a "starter" and would sit out the last half of #3 & #4 preseason.

I honestly believe that the biggest changes will amount to reserves playing with greater frequency when the team is ahead in the 4th quarter.

this is all much ado about NOTHING. really.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau View Post
    It's gonna happen.

Realistically, the starters play, what, maybe 3 or 4 quarters or so on average in those two preseason games that get eliminated with the 18 game schedule? So it'll only have the starters on the filed for a little over one more game than they are on the field for now.

Everyone pretty much agrees that we don't need 4 preseason games, and that preseason football is a waste, so it makes too much sense to eliminate the two preseason games, and increase revenue instead of decreasing it by replacing them with regular season games that will be on TV.
    It will add approximately 1.5 more games of wear and tear to the starters.

Now: 16 games + 40% of 4 preseason games = 17.6 games
    18 games: 18 + 50% of 2 preseason games = 19.0 games

At least that is how I see it.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy View Post
    He was not cut. His contract will void (or has voided) and he will be a Free Agent at the beginning of the FA period, whenever it starts.

And I would caution reading as much into Woodson's quotes and all the web and radio news has. Woodson is not quoted as saying he would move to safety for Asomugha. But that he would do it if asked by Capers. That isn't exactly an ironclad invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

Somewhere around there, anyway. And a whole bunch more revenue. And the best part- more football.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

The two preseason game percentages might be low. Skill position starters and vets are out before half except for the 3rd preseason game, when they often play a series into the 3rd Quarter. I would expect them to play to the half in Preseason Game 1, then the half plus a series in PsG #2.

I don't want them to expand to 18 games. The season is getting too long and grueling for the players, and there's a nice symmetry to having a 16 game season for 32 teams (in 8 four team divisions). The scheduling is fair and easy to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau View Post
    I don't know that coaching staffs would agree. How the hell are they supposed to evaluate players if OTA are cut and 2 preseason games are gone?

The preseason isn't about the vets, it's about the rookies and bubble players. And we saw how important they were to the Pack this year.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...