View Poll Results: What is a fair profit for an average NFL owner?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - They make their money when they sell the team.

1 3.45%
  • $10 M max. Similar to players on their second contract

0 0%
  • $10 - $20 M. Like a top line veteran player

0 0%
  • $20 - 30 M. As much as the highest paid players

2 6.90%
  • $30 - 40 M. A bit more than the top players

2 6.90%
  • $40 M+. Its a huge investments in a wildly successful business. A solid return is deserved.

24 82.76%

Thread: What is a fair profit for an NFL owner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They wouldn't, but someone could at those prices. The only roadblock would be stadiums. See AFL, 1960-1969.

ABC (though the ESPN contract would complicate it) might televise it. And if they didn't, TNT or Versus would.

Thats what I mean. If they dont like making 10's of millions then f them and now you are capped EVERYONE makes $1 Million a year base salary and $100,000 per win for every player. Dont like it? Want to see the books? Start your own damn league and look all you want.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Thats what I mean. If they dont like making 10's of millions then f them and now you are capped EVERYONE makes $1 Million a year base salary and $100,000 per win for every player. Dont like it? Want to see the books? Start your own damn league and look all you want.
    And my point is that the league will not do it because it needs THESE players. At least in the short term.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    And where does the rest of the money go? If the total salary comes down to half of their current level, do you think the owners will drop prices?

I would guess you're purposely overstating the salaries as well in an attempt to make a point. They don't make $10 million - a select few do.

A ballpark average salary is pretty easy to figure out if you look at 2009. 59 players count against the cap of $130 million cap gives you $2.2 million/player. But that's too high, subtract the big hitters for 2009:
    (source http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/62145597.html)
    Code:
    Aaron Rodgers, QB     $9.653M     
    Greg Jennings, WR     $8.149M     
    Chad Clifton, T       $8.040M     
    Charles Woodson, CB   $7.300M     
    Donald Driver, WR     $6.400M     
    Aaron Kampman, OLB    $6.005M     
    A.J. Hawk, ILB        $5.902M     
    Al Harris, CB         $4.775M     
    Nick Barnett, ILB     $4.684M     
    Ryan Grant, RB        $4.400M
    So, top ten earners make $65.44M, leaving $64.6M for the remaining 49 players - or $1.3million per. So given that the average number of wins/year is 8, your plan would actually be a raise for a lot of players.

Still as astronomical sum of money for most of the rest of us, but certainly not $10million per season.
    Last edited by Guiness; 03-16-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    And where does the rest of the money go? If the total salary comes down to half of their current level, do you think the owners will drop prices?

I would guess you're purposely overstating the salaries as well in an attempt to make a point. They don't make $10 million - a select few do.

A ballpark average salary is pretty easy to figure out if you look at 2009. 59 players count against the cap of $130 million cap gives you $2.2 million/player. But that's too high, subtract the big hitters for 2009:
    (source http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/62145597.html)
    Code:
    Aaron Rodgers, QB     $9.653M     
    Greg Jennings, WR     $8.149M     
    Chad Clifton, T       $8.040M     
    Charles Woodson, CB   $7.300M     
    Donald Driver, WR     $6.400M     
    Aaron Kampman, OLB    $6.005M     
    A.J. Hawk, ILB        $5.902M     
    Al Harris, CB         $4.775M     
    Nick Barnett, ILB     $4.684M     
    Ryan Grant, RB        $4.400M
    So, top ten earners make $65.44M, leaving $64.6M for the remaining 49 players - or $1.3million per. So given that the average number of wins/year is 8, your plan would actually be a raise for a lot of players.

Still as astronomical sum of money for most of the rest of us, but certainly not $10million per season.
    Correct exaggerated for effect.

I know it would be a big increase for most of the NFL. This is Obamanomics at its best! Redistribute the income from all the teams and the "extra" goes partly back into the pockets of owners, partly to the cities that were dumb enough to fund their stadiums and part to retired players. The extra to the owners to be used to loan money to teams to build new stadiums so they stop fleecing us
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.