Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Although my work in the private sector is limited, I have NEVER heard of any privatly held company doing this. Not doubting you, just saying you have been very lucky if such is the case.
It happens. I was going post my own experiences in my previous post - decided not to, but I think it relates.

Company I work for ran into some tough times a few years ago. Contracts dried up (not the company's fault - industry pretty much shut down) and things were tight. The employees kicked in some funds to keep it afloat, and took voluntary pay cuts. I took a voluntary lay-off.

Owners (there are two of them) were very open about the finances, the company's position, and how we were progressing. Frequent updates showing profits and losses. We're back on our feet now, actually doing very well, and we still have meeting quartely or so showing a lot of financial information. I work as a contractor now, and I am generally shown a copy of the PO from the company my services are for, so I know what percentage of the day rate I'm taking home.