Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
Keep in mind that Rockefeller suggested that the league opened up their books in the sense that they gave them to a mutually agreed upon third party who will redact any sensitive information. The Owners actually offered the players this for the last five years, and the NFLPA turned down that offer. They didn't say "we'd like more but we'll take that and look at it" they just turned it down.

But again this has nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread, which is "what is a reasonable profit for an NFL team to make."
I don't think they are that close yet. Yes, the owners are at 5 years of data, but they were there a week ago or more. There is no single authoritative account that I have seen yet of exactly what the owners offered, but its is clear that it lays somewhere between profit numbers for each franchise (their previous offer) and the complete audited financial statements. PFT threw up its hands this week and said it was hard to nail down the disconnect beyond the time frame.

Their current offer seems to be audited figures used to calculate the profit numbers. Since its selective, any third party (I have trouble seeing the players objecting to blind numbers if they can agree on a firm and then hand those numbers to their own accountants) would have trouble doing anything other than verifying the math.