Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

My point at the time was that the players were demanding detail that they weren't likely to get, nor did I think they were entitled to it. Some information, sure; but their own accountants auditing (for want of a better description) the teams' books? No way. If that had been a starting point, no problem. But, they never backed off it. Reportedly, they didn't even look at what WAS offered by the owners to see if it helped bridge the gap at all. Then they even seemed to up the demand at the last minute. All this leads me to believe they never had an interest in settling short of de-certification and the inevitable lawsuit....

Somewhere in that hodgepodge is the real target of the NFLPA. Its not the teams books and the few million $/team that might be in dispute. It's power and control.
They did receive the complete set of books in the last go around with this lawsuit, in 1992. So to say asking for them again is simply a stalling technique makes an assumption that the players don't agree with. Should the books be opened, their auditors will get to comb through them, whether the owners were willing or not. You think the lawsuit is the goal, but I think the lawsuit is simply the means. Its the point of greatest leverage.

The owners are making a similar calculation. They believe that they can withstand the request in court (or NLRB) this time.

But I would love to read what you read about the owner's increased financial information offer and the change in the player's demand. I have not found it yet.