View Poll Results: What is a fair profit for an average NFL owner?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - They make their money when they sell the team.

1 3.45%
  • $10 M max. Similar to players on their second contract

0 0%
  • $10 - $20 M. Like a top line veteran player

0 0%
  • $20 - 30 M. As much as the highest paid players

2 6.90%
  • $30 - 40 M. A bit more than the top players

2 6.90%
  • $40 M+. Its a huge investments in a wildly successful business. A solid return is deserved.

24 82.76%

Thread: What is a fair profit for an NFL owner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Didn't Jones end up paying almost three times as much as the taxpayers? I think Arlington paid $350 million, and Jones something like $900+ million.

I believe the Giants and Jets paid the entire cost, or at least most of it, with no taxpayer input.
    A significant portion of that funding in each case comes from PSLs. Definitely a more targeted fund raiser than using government money, but not exactly the owner's pocket either. I think Richardson in Carolina did this for their expansion franchise stadium, didn't he? I am not sure this represents a recent change in stadium financing.

A PSL could represent a revenue source that could be tapped for other uses by the team, but I am unsure it would be as easy a sell if the funds did not go to stadium construction costs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    A significant portion of that funding in each case comes from PSLs. Definitely a more targeted fund raiser than using government money, but not exactly the owner's pocket either. I think Richardson in Carolina did this for their expansion franchise stadium, didn't he? I am not sure this represents a recent change in stadium financing.

A PSL could represent a revenue source that could be tapped for other uses by the team, but I am unsure it would be as easy a sell if the funds did not go to stadium construction costs.
    PSLs have been around for 25 years, even when taxpayers were footing the bill for large portions of stadium construction costs. About half the NFL teams already have them in one form or another. Many Big 10 schools have them, but refer to them as a "priority seating surcharge" or other such nonsense. Wisconsin calls them priority seating "contributions" and they apply to only some seats, as I understand it. I don't see a PSL as any different than increasing the package prices for season tickets, its still the owner raising the money, and theoretically, in most cases, the owner is on the hook for the cost if the PSLs don't sell (although it is unlikely to happen).

Didn't the Packers have a one-time surcharge for season ticket holders as part of their renovation financing? Or did they just talk about it but never implement it?

Owner Rat Rookie
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    PSLs have been around for 25 years, even when taxpayers were footing the bill for large portions of stadium construction costs. About half the NFL teams already have them in one form or another. Many Big 10 schools have them, but refer to them as a "priority seating surcharge" or other such nonsense. Wisconsin calls them priority seating "contributions" and they apply to only some seats, as I understand it. I don't see a PSL as any different than increasing the package prices for season tickets, its still the owner raising the money, and theoretically, in most cases, the owner is on the hook for the cost if the PSLs don't sell (although it is unlikely to happen).

Didn't the Packers have a one-time surcharge for season ticket holders as part of their renovation financing? Or did they just talk about it but never implement it?
    It was $4k per seat, I believe, and yes, it was implemented at least partially. I have no idea if it was every ticket holder or not.