View Poll Results: What is a fair profit for an average NFL owner?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - They make their money when they sell the team.

1 3.45%
  • $10 M max. Similar to players on their second contract

0 0%
  • $10 - $20 M. Like a top line veteran player

0 0%
  • $20 - 30 M. As much as the highest paid players

2 6.90%
  • $30 - 40 M. A bit more than the top players

2 6.90%
  • $40 M+. Its a huge investments in a wildly successful business. A solid return is deserved.

24 82.76%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: What is a fair profit for an NFL owner?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Ok so under these examples how are the people in the front office that actually PRODUCE something, aka the business development people that sell to the corporations and season ticket holders luxury boxes and group packages, not making a hell of a lot more money?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Ok so under these examples how are the people in the front office that actually PRODUCE something, aka the business development people that sell to the corporations and season ticket holders luxury boxes and group packages, not making a hell of a lot more money?
    replaceable. relatively easily...at least compared to the ease of replacing, say Peyton Manning.

Brett Favre, of course, proved easy to replace so maybe we should pay Rodgers a lot less? (could NOT resist that one!)
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    It is EASY to replace the current players, there are thousands every year that dont get drafted and are working at grocery stores and fast food chains. The NFL would suffer 2 years until all the players would fall into line.

I have a homework assignment for everyone that works for a privately owned company. Go to your owner and ask to see their books. They will say "go F*ck yourself" in a more polite way. I would say that to my employees it doesn't matter how much I make because I took the risk and opened my own business.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

It is EASY to replace the current players, there are thousands every year that dont get drafted and are working at grocery stores and fast food chains. The NFL would suffer 2 years until all the players would fall into line.

I have a homework assignment for everyone that works for a privately owned company. Go to your owner and ask to see their books. They will say "go F*ck yourself" in a more polite way. I would say that to my employees it doesn't matter how much I make because I took the risk and opened my own business.
    *sigh*

Been there, done that. This discussion has been had many times, some of them in this thread, I believe. The NFL is not a 'normal' business, and the rules governing business practices don't apply to it. Hence the anti-trust exemption, among other legal oddities. So no, the owners can not say 'go F*ck yourself' and be done with it. Or they would have already.
    --

Jumbo Rat HOFer

The last 2 companies that I have worked for have all had an open books policy. Not only would the owner say please go ahead and look, they would be happy to review the numbers with you.

Now you tie the employees performance and bonuses to the open books policy and you have a hell of a lot of motivated employees who drive the bottom line of your company. We have continuously had 15-20% annual growth. We probably will hit 30% this year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    The last 2 companies that I have worked for have all had an open books policy. Not only would the owner say please go ahead and look, they would be happy to review the numbers with you.

Now you tie the employees performance and bonuses to the open books policy and you have a hell of a lot of motivated employees who drive the bottom line of your company. We have continuously had 15-20% annual growth. We probably will hit 30% this year.
    Are you represented by a union?

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    *sigh*

Been there, done that. This discussion has been had many times, some of them in this thread, I believe. The NFL is not a 'normal' business, and the rules governing business practices don't apply to it. Hence the anti-trust exemption, among other legal oddities. So no, the owners can not say 'go F*ck yourself' and be done with it. Or they would have already.
    But again I disagree with that assertion. The NFL is a corporation with franchises. The "anti trust" exemption is bullshit as anyone can start a league. Not just anyone can open a franchise, which is consistent with any other business. and yes, the master corporation CAN dictate wages to the franchises (although usually minimums, not maximums)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

Although my work in the private sector is limited, I have NEVER heard of any privatly held company doing this. Not doubting you, just saying you have been very lucky if such is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Although my work in the private sector is limited, I have NEVER heard of any privatly held company doing this. Not doubting you, just saying you have been very lucky if such is the case.
    Actually, it happens occasionally in certain situations. Typically, it's very small single owner firms where there is a culture of trust as a part of the firm. Dan's right, it can be a great motivator in the right situation. I've never seen nor heard of this in a union shop, and certainly not to the scale of the NFL. Unions naturally breed distrust (IMO), and gain leverage by pitting one group against the other by focusing on differences. Honestly, if everyone lives in happy trusting harmony where everyone treats everyone else with respect and fairness, there is no reason for a union! It would be unnecessary.

damn, just lost my post! Stupid auto-logout.
    That's happened to me at least 5 times after drafting mega-posts. I am wiser now in that I save longer posts before submitting...but it is annoying.

I can bring myself to read the spirited exchanges on this dry topic, but I sure can't imagine being interested enough to do the math with numbers that won't stand still.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    It happens. I was going post my own experiences in my previous post - decided not to, but I think it relates.

Company I work for ran into some tough times a few years ago. Contracts dried up (not the company's fault - industry pretty much shut down) and things were tight. The employees kicked in some funds to keep it afloat, and took voluntary pay cuts. I took a voluntary lay-off.

Owners (there are two of them) were very open about the finances, the company's position, and how we were progressing. Frequent updates showing profits and losses. We're back on our feet now, actually doing very well, and we still have meeting quartely or so showing a lot of financial information. I work as a contractor now, and I am generally shown a copy of the PO from the company my services are for, so I know what percentage of the day rate I'm taking home.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    Actually, it happens occasionally in certain situations. Typically, it's very small single owner firms where there is a culture of trust as a part of the firm. Dan's right, it can be a great motivator in the right situation. I've never seen nor heard of this in a union shop, and certainly not to the scale of the NFL. Unions naturally breed distrust (IMO), and gain leverage by pitting one group against the other by focusing on differences. Honestly, if everyone lives in happy trusting harmony where everyone treats everyone else with respect and fairness, there is no reason for a union! It would be unnecessary.
    Yes, that's been my experience as well, but with a partnership. I think that has something to do with it, because you're already sharing the data with someone.

Can't see that happening with a union...
    --

It happens. I was going post my own experiences in my previous post - decided not to, but I think it relates.

Company I work for ran into some tough times a few years ago. Contracts dried up (not the company's fault - industry pretty much shut down) and things were tight. The employees kicked in some funds to keep it afloat, and took voluntary pay cuts. I took a voluntary lay-off.

Owners (there are two of them) were very open about the finances, the company's position, and how we were progressing. Frequent updates showing profits and losses. We're back on our feet now, actually doing very well, and we still have meeting quartely or so showing a lot of financial information. I work as a contractor now, and I am generally shown a copy of the PO from the company my services are for, so I know what percentage of the day rate I'm taking home.
    Well, this and RG's post reaffirms my position that individual owners (small business) make better bosses than corporate people. Individuals tend to view the people that help them get rich in a more favorable light than corporate lackeys do.