Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Vonn: Living Legend

Lindsey Vonn: Living Legend

Vonn, Riesch set for 4-day, 4-race World Cup duel

By GRAHAM DUNBAR, AP Sports Writer 3 hours, 45 minutes ago

LENZERHEIDE, Switzerland (AP)—

Four days, four races.

Lindsey Vonn and Maria Riesch are ready to begin their showdown Wednesday for the overall World Cup title. After 31 races, four more at the World Cup finals will decide if Vonn wins her fourth straight title or Riesch, the current leader, wins an elusive first.

The best friends have elevated their rivalry to new heights this season, their closest contest yet for the giant crystal globe trophy. The finals start with their strongest event (downhill) and end Saturday with their weakest (giant slalom).
    Germany's Maria Riesch speeds down the course on her way to clock the eleventh fastest time during a training session for the alpine ski, World Cup women's downhill final, in Lenzerheide, Switzerland , Tuesday, March 15, 2011.

“This is crunch time. I’m sure it’s going to come down to the last race,” Vonn predicted Tuesday.

Riesch has been runner-up the past two years, but the German has never led so late in the season.

“That would be great tension until the end, to decide it in the GS on Saturday, but we will see,” said Riesch, a double Olympic champion whose 23-point advantage can quickly vanish with race victories worth 100 points.

“It would be a great dream coming true,” she added. “But, if not, then maybe next year or the year after. I don’t have to do this now.”

Alpine racing has not had such a finish since Sweden’s Anja Paerson edged Croatia’s Janica Kostelic by three points in 2005. On the same Lenzerheide slope, Kostelic would have won had she been 0.09 seconds faster in the GS finale.

Vonn smiled while thinking of the number-crunching permutations.

“I’ve run a couple of scenarios through my mind how it could play out differently,” she said. “I can’t control what Maria’s doing, but I can control my skiing. So I’m going to give it my best shot.”

The American arrives with fresh momentum after gaining ground last weekend. A career-best third place in GS at the Czech resort Splinderuv Mlyn was followed by a solid slalom result, with Riesch surprisingly skiing out.

“As you saw last weekend, anything can happen. I have to keep the same approach, and ski with intensity, focus and determination,” said Vonn, who has already won the downhill, super-G and super-combined discipline titles.

Riesch reflected it was “not easy to keep cool” amid talk of her shrinking lead.

“It can go so fast from 96 (points) to 23. I try to just concentrate on my skiing and not calculate the points too much,” she said.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Game on!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

has she started crying yet or building up drama?

let me know when one of her tits falls out while going down the hill, then i'll give her the attention she so desperately craves

Lindsey Vonn took the lead from Maria Riesch in their duel for the overall World Cup title on Wednesday, finishing fourth behind winner Julia Mancuso in the final downhill of the season.

Vonn earned 50 race points for her lowest downhill finish this season, while Riesch failed to score after placing 17th. Riesch's cautious run left her a surprising 3.19 seconds behind Mancuso.

Vonn took a 27-point lead over her friend and rival with three races left this week. Vonn is looking for her fourth straight overall title after already earning the downhill discipline title.

"I'm really happy with fourth place," said Vonn, who lost time early in her run then fought back on the steep bottom section. "I think it was a solid performance and another exciting day in the hunt for the overall."

The 26-year-old Riesch of Germany slumped to the snow in the finish area, and was later shown on television sitting with her head in her hands in the equipment inspection hut.

"It's tough when you have led the whole season and suddenly you get knocked off the top," Riesch said.

Skiing several minutes later, Vonn also looked uncomfortable at times on the steep, twisting course. But she raised her right fist triumphantly at the finish when she saw she stood in third place.

Friday, March 18, 2011
    12:00 p.m. – Women's slalom (11:30 p.m.)
    2:30 p.m. – Men's giant slalom (6:00 p.m., 11:30 p.m.)

Saturday, March 19, 2011
    12:00 p.m. – Men's slalom (8:00 p.m.)
    2:30 p.m. – Women's giant slalom (11:30 p.m.)
    Last edited by HowardRoark; 03-17-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Skiing is a dangerous sport. RIP, Bill Mills:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...g-alyeska-dies
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Skiing is a dangerous sport. RIP, Bill Mills:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...g-alyeska-dies
    Freak?

What's the deal on this run....sounds like real tough area with a lift. Bad combination; you should have to put in the effort to hike at least....seperates those who really can do it.

LENZERHEIDE, Switzerland (Reuters) - Lindsey Vonn's hopes of a fourth successive overall World Cup title were left at the mercy of the weather after she lost the lead to Maria Riesch on Friday with one race to go.

Germany's Riesch enjoys a three-point lead, a miniscule margin in a contest where 100 are awarded for a win, effectively meaning the title will go to whoever does better in Saturday's giant slalom.

Vonn's big worry, however, is that the race will not take place at all after a week which has seen three races called off due to the unhappy combination of mist, rain and warm weather.

Due to logistical problems, World Cup races are not rescheduled if they are called off by the weather, a rule introduced in 1998 by the International Ski Federation (FIS).

If the last race of the season is affected, the trophy goes to whoever is leading the standings at the time.

All she does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    Freak?

What's the deal on this run....sounds like real tough area with a lift. Bad combination; you should have to put in the effort to hike at least....seperates those who really can do it.
    North face is gnarly....but that was just one of those freak deals. Yep...it eats the "intermediates" alive.
    C.H.U.D.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

let me know when one of her tits falls out while going down the hill, then i'll give her the attention she so desperately craves
    I feel the same way about men's soccer.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    didn't she just get divorced. thought i saw a blurb on yahoo.com.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    someone here might be a stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    someone here might be a stalker

You can leave anytime you want. You are starting to creep Howard out.

I let her out of the basement for ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

You should show more respect for such a patriotic American.

This thread sucks balls. I opened it thinking that it was about Lindsy Lohan, then firgured it wasn't, but assumed this Lindsey Vonn must be a lesbian or something. I was disappointed to discover she is a woman skier. Is there anything more so totally not relevant in all this world? Other than those homos from queer eye for the straight guy, I mean.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Does this make you feel any better?

Howard, it's time to make your move

Sauna meat....nice.
    C.H.U.D.