Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: proposed kick-off rule change...

proposed kick-off rule change...

kick-offs from the 35, touch-backs come out to the 25, no wedge formations. all this in the name of safety. crosby's leg strength may finally be a factor in games. devin hester won't be as much of a factor as he used to be. good on both counts.

I am 100% in favor of this rules change.
    </delurk>

Best thing that could happen for the Packers lousy coverage unit and pedestrian return game. I can see Packer returners letting the ball bounce at the 5 and hoping it goes into the end zone because that would be better than they could do returning it.

One question, will the 25 yard line be for touchbacks on punts as well?
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

One question, will the 25 yard line be for touchbacks on punts as well?
    The article I read said kickoffs only, and that all other touchbacks will come out to the 20.

I hate this rule change. The game is GREAT the way it is. It seems like the NFL is now just changing things to change things every offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpackfan View Post
    I hate this rule change. The game is GREAT the way it is. It seems like the NFL is now just changing things to change things every offseason.

Winner!

Why is a touch back being moved out 5 more yards? THey figure 5 less yards to gain = greater saftey? There is no fundamental reason. You move kikcoffs back 5 yards, then move the touch back out further, which just shortens the field and makes the chance of returns, one wou;d think, much greater BECAUSE of the way things work.

Also, wedges are practically already illegal. Can have more than what is it, 2 people in front of you blocking directly? That's hardly a wedge, as it takes three to create one. So... the wedge itself is already not allowed. The only real effect is shortening the field, which I don't think has a real benefit UNLESS it appears a majority of kickers kick it out of the back of the endzone.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    STUPID STUPID STUPID. Oh and pointless too.

Apparently overnight they ammended the rule to:
    * Kickoffs from 35 yard line
    * Touchbacks to 20 yard line
    * 2-man wedges are acceptable
    * Players on kickoff coverage must line up between the 30 and 35 yard line

And it was passed today, according to several sources on Twitter (Schefter, LaCanfora, etc.)
    </delurk>

So the real difference is going to the 35, going back to the spot used from 1974 - 93. I can't see the player positioning making much of a difference, except perhaps on the on-side kick.

Any happen to know how many Packers were injured on kickoffs last year?

Given the Packers special teams (not to mention their injuries), I have to be in favor of this change.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234 View Post
    Why is a touch back being moved out 5 more yards? THey figure 5 less yards to gain = greater saftey? There is no fundamental reason. You move kikcoffs back 5 yards, then move the touch back out further, which just shortens the field and makes the chance of returns, one wou;d think, much greater BECAUSE of the way things work.
    The reasoning behind moving the touchback out 5 yards is that teams are more likely to accept the touch back than attempt a return. Less returns = less injuries. And less action...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Terrence Murphy: If only sooner.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Moving the kickoffs up to the 35... you might as well just place the ball at the 25.

I understand the injury concern with wedges, but moving the kickoff up will take away from the game.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Moving the kickoffs up to the 35... you might as well just place the ball at the 25.

I understand the injury concern with wedges, but moving the kickoff up will take away from the game.
    The kickoff was at the 35 yardline until 1993... has that much really changed in the intervening 17 years that we can't even conceive of the way things used to be as acceptable?
    </delurk>

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar
    how can u not like this? instantly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses: kick return and kick coverage. Now, how can slocum over complicate a scheme in order to turn this against us?
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

This reminds me of the theme song from the second Back to the Future movie: Back in Time, we're going back in time.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It will be interesting to see what the effect is.

During 2010, Cundiff averaged 71.1 yards/KO. His average kick would have been 6 yards deep. If he does it next year, his average might be a touchback. However, the average return against him was 26 yards, so maybe a return even from deep in the endzone is worth the chance.

Gastkowski was second at 67.9. This average is less than 3 yards deep, and might be returned from there. His average return is 24.5, which would put the ball at the 21 and a half. Against him, return it if you can.

On the other hand, Gano averaged "just" 65.9 yards, which will be one yard deep. But on 61 returns the average was just 19 yards. On average, his kicks will be returned short of the 20 yard line. Take the touchback when you can against him.

14 kickers average 65 or more yards on kickoffs, meaning their average kick should reach the endzone, but by less than 2 yards for 12 of the 14. Of course, more kickers might now kick for distance to get the touchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    how can u not like this? instantly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses: kick return and kick coverage. Now, how can slocum over complicate a scheme in order to turn this against us?
    Because these won't ALWAYS be our weaknesses.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

As a fan, I like to see kick-off returns. This rule will take a little from the excitement of the game. From a player's perspective, maybe it will eliminate some injuries and keep more of them on the field. From an owners perspective, looking out for the players safety through this rule might make an 18-game season just a little bit more acceptable to a few more players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Slacks View Post
    Sure as a packers fan this sounds great.

As a football fan in general who watches other teams play simply because football is a great sport to watch... this blows. Returns are exciting, and the fans love it when they witness someone taking it to the house. Yes, it's true injuries happen on KR more than any other play, but so what? It's part of the game. If every kicker just kicks it out hte back or so deep it needs a touchback, whats the point?