Thread: The ugly truth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok, time to come clean.

I was Joe, or better phrased, HALF of Joe. Madtown was the other half. Until 5/20/2011 in the middle of the night, when for inexplicable reasons, Madtown changed the password on the Joe account, and also changed the password on this account. It took me two weeks to figure out how to change it, and then it was just a fluke. I’ve called him once every day since, trying to get an explanation, but as some of you who know Madtown might suspect, those calls have not been returned.

At this point, I really don’t know why he’s done what he did. My best guess is that he intends to ride back in here like the savior on the white horse and save you all from the evil Joe. Just a guess though, I really have no idea what he’s planned. I also have no idea how long this post will last. But for those of you who get to read it, at least you’ll know the truth.

Many of you watched Madtown melt down several years back. Trust me when I tell you, that maintaining this place is a thankless job. He was doing the bulk of it by himself, and burn out doesn’t even come close to describing it. He reached out to me, and we concocted this scheme to keep the place running. At that point, he really couldn’t continue by himself.

I had no interest in the software aspect of this whole thing. I have no idea how to do it, and little to no motivation to learn it. What I was willing to do was to keep accounts activated, read the posts, answer the pm’s & emails and deal with all the administrative bull. Zool has stated on here before what a PITA it is, but it’s necessary, and someone had to do it, and Madtown couldn’t any more.

Let’s face it, there are about a dozen folks here that I couldn’t stand. Complicating things further, they couldn’t stand me either. Putting me in charge of that stuff wouldn’t have worked. So, in came Joe. If you read the bio correctly, you’ll see that it’s a combination of me and Madtown. The posting was 95% me, and the ideas were a conglomeration of both of us, but largely his vision.

Trying to be “partners” with him is the most frustrating experience I’ve ever had. The first year, I largely spend begging him to initially upgrade the software and the old stuff was so outdated it almost didn’t run any longer. Later, it was switched to begging him to implement the new software.

I think we started this in April 2009, I finally gave up and bought the Vbulletin suite myself in December 2009, and then begged him to implement it, finally going live in November 2010.

When you don’t have the password to upload files to the server, there is only so much you can do.

To those of you doubting me at this point, I only ask you to remember how long the homepage was down, and how many months it took to get a link to the forum. Even I could have put a link to the old forum. But if you cannot upload a page to the server, what can you do? Beg. And that’s what I did.

Was I perfect? Oh, hell no. You sit there trying to figure out what to do and there are no clear answers. You’ve got a small group of folks, who are active posters that want to express themselves in any manner they choose. If they want to insult someone and their opinions, well, so be it. If that person doesn’t like it, tough. Then you’ve got another group of folks that want to tell you what they think, any time they choose, with absolutely NO criticism of their opinion regardless of how stupid it might be.

Oil and water. No? You can’t balance that.

So I tried to control it the best I could. Clearly didn’t work either. You create a Favre thread to mitigate the damage, just one example, and get mixed results. Some of the other things I tried, I got no results. Or bad ones.

If you guys recall, I, as Joe, posted a sticky in the Packer forum one day asking those without an account to email me and tell me why they didn’t want to join us. I got 12 replies that all pretty much said the same thing. They were worried that if they offered their opinion, they’d get brutally criticized. 12 isn’t a large sample size, but it was what I had to work with. And there was some legitimacy to that.

Look at the early replies to Waldo56. Brutal. Was the guy always right? Hell no. Was he crazy? No. He was a good poster. We drove him away. Then you read what happened to Woodbuck and Partial. You can certainly say that they brought it on themselves, and that’d be true, but why would you register here? So, I tried to move that stuff to the Garbage Can, or at least the Romper Room. That clearly didn’t work, and that was my decision.

Let’s talk about Partial for a moment. He was my friend. I met him, and liked him. But I banned him. I got pm’s and emails from Madtown for months. “You gotta get rid of him”. “We can’t move on without him”. On and on. I agreed with him, but tried everything I could think of first and finally was left with no other options. Partial was a good guy, but jeez you can only take so much.

So I banned him, WITH MADTOWN’S FULL SUPPORT. I have over 75 emails from partial after I banned him. In the span of 30 days. The vast majority were threatening. I reached out to one member privately and asked what I should do. I got some counsel back from an attorney that this person knew, and got some very good advice, which I implemented and the problem stopped. But now, I read Madtown ask if he should bring him back. I know what happened. That’s why I think he’s trying to come in here as the savior.

Maybe all of you will let him. I have no idea. Maybe he’ll fix what ails this place. I have no idea about that either.

In any event, there are a few folks here that I know, whom I have misled about whether or not I was still involved with Madtown. I apologize to each of you for that. In the end, that’s why Joe didn’t post very much. It was too difficult to keep the personalities separate.

Kudos go out to Justin Harrell, who was the only guy (I believe) to figure it out. I think in the end, Joe talked him out of his opinion, but he got it. Or at least, he was the only one to make the accusation. Congrats Justin. There is one other person who can confirm that what I’ve told you is true. They can speak up if they wish, or forever remain silent. It’s entirely up to them.

My time here is done. Some of you will be happy about that. Enjoy. I’ll miss this place, and miss my involvement in it. At the end of the day, I was just trying to make it better, and keep it going. And I truly loved being here and being a participant. My self assessment is that it didn’t go very well, certainly not as well as I had hoped. Hopefully now that I’m out of the way, it’ll go better.

I’ll answer questions if you have any, until Madtown logs in and sees this and either deletes it or bans the retailguy account. Since I trusted him, I don’t have a backup account so I’ll have no other way to even read this. If this remains but you get no replies, that’s why.

Those of you who have my email address, I invite you to contact me if you wish.

Thanks all.

End schmend. This is just another new beginning to a place that rose from the ashes of a burning bag of dog shit. Madtown's obviously crazier than a busload of Venezuelan whores on a week long speed run, but I don't think that matters anymore. Those of us who are left have endured the worst of his inept insanity and he's only more lovable for it.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    Ok, time to come clean.

I was Joe, or better phrased, HALF of Joe. Madtown was the other half.
    I, for one, am appalled and insulted that someone would come on here and pretend to be someone else. How low can you stoop?

Signed:

Shamrockfan, er... I mean Patler!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I, for one, am appalled and insulted that someone would come on here and pretend to be someone else. How low can you stoop?

Signed:

oh quit with all the bullshit, tank

Signed:

Now, if Greenday would really come out of the closet, we'd all have a clean slate.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro

Signed:

No one is allowed to have two log ins, or post under an assumed name

Ok, time to come clean.

I was Joe, or better phrased, HALF of Joe. Madtown was the other half.
    Thanks, RG. That story was a mix between a WWF storyline and a '24' episode.

So what comes next?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon View Post
    Thanks, RG. That story was a mix between a WWF storyline and a '24' episode.

So what comes next?
    No idea. I don't think that part has been written yet. We can either get Vince McMahon to fill us in, or wait until Madtown shows up. Currently, I'm out of it, and probably about 4 feet out on a 6 foot plank in a boat on the Nile river.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    No idea. I don't think that part has been written yet. We can either get Vince McMahon to fill us in, or wait until Madtown shows up. Currently, I'm out of it, and probably about 4 feet out on a 6 foot plank in a boat on the Nile river.

From some of Mad's posts, you can tell he knows that he needs to do something. He either needs to get back into it and run it seriously or seriously hand it off to someone who really wants to develop it. Unfortunately, it's very likely that he isn't willing and there is no interested party to hand off to....

I appreciate his and your efforts. I hope they're not in vain. There was a heyday for PR that would be cool to see come again. Clefty might be persuaded to take a cocktail of ritalin and opioid peptides, to start writing incisive columns again, if there were a vibrant PR to write for....
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    From some of Mad's posts, you can tell he knows that he needs to do something. He either needs to get back into it and run it seriously or seriously hand it off to someone who really wants to develop it. Unfortunately, it's very likely that he isn't willing and there is no interested party to hand off to....

I appreciate his and your efforts. I hope they're not in vain. There was a heyday for PR that would be cool to see come again. Clefty might be persuaded to take a cocktail of ritalin and opioid peptides, to start writing incisive columns again, if there were a vibrant PR to write for....
    thanks for that. Sincerely.

I do believe that the day to day programming needs to be handed off. If it is, there isn't that much work. We're 5 versions behind on the software again. We're running 4.0.8 and the current version is 4.1.3. as I understand it, the problem is that the afore mentioned "style template" has to be adjusted each time the upgrade is done, or something like that. Some type of changes have to be manually recreated each time you update. I guess it's a PITA, but again, it's over my head.

Next, we'd need moderators to help. One person can't read everything. Well, right now you can, but that's not good. But the biggest need is folks to 'market' the new site. That'll take a bunch of folks not only posting, but getting out there to get folks. Bretsky did that, a while back, but we'd need more than him.

But first, someone needs the keys to the kingdom, and a promise that they won't get swiped off the nightstand at 2am.

thanks for that. Sincerely.

I do believe that the day to day programming needs to be handed off. If it is, there isn't that much work. We're 5 versions behind on the software again. We're running 4.0.8 and the current version is 4.1.3. as I understand it, the problem is that the afore mentioned "style template" has to be adjusted each time the upgrade is done, or something like that. Some type of changes have to be manually recreated each time you update. I guess it's a PITA, but again, it's over my head.

Next, we'd need moderators to help. One person can't read everything. Well, right now you can, but that's not good. But the biggest need is folks to 'market' the new site. That'll take a bunch of folks not only posting, but getting out there to get folks. Bretsky did that, a while back, but we'd need more than him.

But first, someone needs the keys to the kingdom, and a promise that they won't get swiped off the nightstand at 2am.
    I never understood getting rid of the moderators, and always figured 'Joe' was some sort of Kyle Shanahan-like control freak. This place seemed to run quite well like that for a while.

Tech help? I've seen enough tech-savyness here to know there's help available from posters. Myself included.

One question that's bothering me about your initial post: if your password was changed, how did you get it back?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I never understood getting rid of the moderators, and always figured 'Joe' was some sort of Kyle Shanahan-like control freak. This place seemed to run quite well like that for a while.

Tech help? I've seen enough tech-savyness here to know there's help available from posters. Myself included.

One question that's bothering me about your initial post: if your password was changed, how did you get it back?
    If you had moderator access on the old software you could see IP addresses. If the moderators were allowed to continue, then they could match up the IP's for Joe to me and Madtown. That wouldn't have worked very well.

Yes, plenty of help was/is available. I hope that gets used. We damn sure need it. Some of the help I tried to get was from folks here.

I had 3 accounts, (well 4 actually), Joe, administrator, retailguy and a test account called packer fan in tx. We shared administrator on the old software, but when we created the new forum, it worked better to have a new created account because of the way vbulletin imported things. So, that's how Joe was born. They were supposed to be merged, but that hasn't happened yet.

You have to have a unique email address for each one. On 5/20/2011 when I tried to log in, all the passwords were changed. When you fail to log in, you can "click here" to reset your password, but you have to type in an email address. When I tried to reset the Joe password, that email address had been changed, to something only Madtown knows. The email address used to be administrator@packerrats.com which was my email address. That's now the old administrator account, which I can now log into after resetting the password, but no admin/moderator rights are left on that account. I didn't realize this until a few days ago, that i could reset it. Next, my retailguy password was changed, and my main email address, which it was set up with, was no longer active in the database. What I didn't realize was that my hotmail account was actually tied to retailguy. I don't use that email address often, and truthfully, I don't know whether or not Madtown changed it, or I did and forgot. But, once I realized it, I was able to reset my password.

Packer fan in tx was used as a test account to test things like rights, how the main page was viewable, etc. I had used retailguy until one day when mraynrand had tried to block me and I was testing moderator access that day. You can't block a moderator and he got a message stating that retailguy was a moderator. He pm'ed Joe about it, so I tried to explain, and then stopped testing things with retailguy's account as it was too risky. That's when the new test account was born.

Hope that makes sense.

I thought everyone was leaving, but after posting I saw they were all trying to work it out, so I'll delete my post.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-10-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I thought everyone was leaving, but after posting I saw they were all trying to work it out, so I'll delete my post.

you kidding ? This is the type of shit that brings the best out in PR; we will keep living on !!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Kudos go out to Justin Harrell, who was the only guy (I believe) to figure it out. I think in the end, Joe talked him out of his opinion, but he got it. Or at least, he was the only one to make the accusation. Congrats Justin. There is one other person who can confirm that what I’ve told you is true. They can speak up if they wish, or forever remain silent. It’s entirely up to them.

Thanks for the kudos. . . . .

but. . . . . you butthole!

And for the record, I never disliked you all. I was just one messed up dude for a long time. You guys got the brunt of that a bunch of times. To quote you, "I don't know what I don't know" or didn't know. Now I know or at least have an idea. It's been a hell of a last 9 months for me, I'll say that.

Since everyones coming clean, sorry you guys had to deal with such a nutter and thanks to madtown for seeing through by nutter exterior and knowing I was just messed up, not a bad guy.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.

So I banned him, WITH MADTOWN’S FULL SUPPORT. I have over 75 emails from partial after I banned him. In the span of 30 days. The vast majority were threatening. I reached out to one member privately and asked what I should do. I got some counsel back from an attorney that this person knew, and got some very good advice, which I implemented and the problem stopped. But now, I read Madtown ask if he should bring him back. I know what happened. That’s why I think he’s trying to come in here as the savior.
    Those were good times. I only wish we got to see those emails.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial