Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: The ugly truth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That pic made me think of "The Lord of the Flies." Or maybe its the forum that reminds me of that book. I still feel bad that Piggy got his glasses smashed.

edit: oh, that is from the movie. duh.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 07-15-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: dumbassery

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah you are referring to the turkey thread. A timeless classic Im sure but I didn't move it, retail did and I'm guessing he had good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Ah you are referring to the turkey thread. A timeless classic Im sure but I didn't move it, retail did and I'm guessing he had good reason.
    And now you're helpless to do anything about it.

At least retail manned up about this whole Joe thing. Looks like you're just going to use it as another excuse to be a lazy pansy.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    And now you're helpless to do anything about it.

At least retail manned up about this whole Joe thing. Looks like you're just going to use it as another excuse to be a lazy pansy.
    Well, yeah, I moved the turkey thread. From what I remember about it, mostly, it just mocked partial. I guess I don't disagree that there was some good information in that thread regarding how to work out, but, the personal partial bashing was over the top, even for an "outlaw forum", whatever the hell that is. To me at least, the good info was dramatically outweighed by the personal bashing, which as I recall included really unflattering photos.

Honestly, I'd move it again today if I felt I had the authority.

What I learned from that thread was how much nutz and ziggy know about the body and working out, which was something I didn't know. Instead of crusading to have that demeaning thread reborn, why don't you encourage them to start a new thread, or a blog about fitness? Lord knows I could use someone educating me about the right way to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    Well, yeah, I moved the turkey thread. From what I remember about it, mostly, it just mocked partial. I guess I don't disagree that there was some good information in that thread regarding how to work out, but, the personal partial bashing was over the top, even for an "outlaw forum", whatever the hell that is. To me at least, the good info was dramatically outweighed by the personal bashing, which as I recall included really unflattering photos.

Honestly, I'd move it again today if I felt I had the authority.

What I learned from that thread was how much nutz and ziggy know about the body and working out, which was something I didn't know. Instead of crusading to have that demeaning thread reborn, why don't you encourage them to start a new thread, or a blog about fitness? Lord knows I could use someone educating me about the right way to work out.
    From what I recall, a lot of people contributed good information in that thread and Partial mainly looked silly because he didn't listen to good advice. In fact, from what I recall, Partial wasn't even posting in the thread anymore until he had one of his drunken mental breaks and ruined the thread for everyone else who was still participating in it.

If the bar for deleting (not moving, which I would have been fine with, as we were told deleting a thread would never happen) threads is Partial making an ass out of himself, then you might as well go ahead and fucking delete half the fucking forum. As far as your suggestion, retail, why should everyone who contributed to that thread have to reconstruct what they built just because someone idiot-bombed the thread or because you decided to apply your own code of justice to the content instead of the stated forum guidelines (which seemed to be the main motivation behind hiding behind a fake owner)? We know you guys have tried hard to protect Partial from himself for a few years, mostly out of feelings of friendship. Fine. Every forum needs a Vern. But erasing the contributions of others to that end was counterproductive and insulting to everyone else who posted.

Continuing to hide behind the decisions "Joe" made which run against the stated and historical goals and mission of this forum is cowardly, and more than a little dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    From what I recall, a lot of people contributed good information in that thread and Partial mainly looked silly because he didn't listen to good advice. In fact, from what I recall, Partial wasn't even posting in the thread anymore until he had one of his drunken mental breaks and ruined the thread for everyone else who was still participating in it.

If the bar for deleting (not moving, which I would have been fine with, as we were told deleting a thread would never happen) threads is Partial making an ass out of himself, then you might as well go ahead and fucking delete half the fucking forum. As far as your suggestion, retail, why should everyone who contributed to that thread have to reconstruct what they built just because someone idiot-bombed the thread or because you decided to apply your own code of justice to the content instead of the stated forum guidelines (which seemed to be the main motivation behind hiding behind a fake owner)? We know you guys have tried hard to protect Partial from himself for a few years, mostly out of feelings of friendship. Fine. Every forum needs a Vern. But erasing the contributions of others to that end was counterproductive and insulting to everyone else who posted.

Continuing to hide behind the decisions "Joe" made which run against the stated and historical goals and mission of this forum is cowardly, and more than a little dishonest.
    I am not hiding behind anything. I moved it, and I'm telling you that I'd move it today just the same.

I don't have any idea "what the goals of this forum are", and today, I don't pretend to know. I know what I consider decent and not decent. That thread was not decent based on the actions of a few. Such is life.

Quite honestly there are plenty of threads that ought to get moved. They don't. Life isn't fair. Sometimes it gets done right, and sometimes it doesn't. I believe I got this one right. You disagree. You have that right. I've heard you and I understand where you're coming from. No longer my call as to what to do with it. All I'm saying is that if it was my call, I'd leave it where it was, or I'd move it back there again if it was still active.

My reasons for moving it really didn't have anything to do with partial. I'd like to believe I'd have moved it if it were anyone else. Instead of criticism for his choices, it degenerated into personal criticism. I didn't think that there was a place for that here. Maybe there is and I'm mistaken? That's for you to judge I guess.

Actually, I can't imagine why they want it back, but it could never exist outside the garbage can. Isn't that the thread that got Partial banned last time?

Starting fitness is not that hard. It's a five easy steps:

1. Go see your doc and make sure you don't have any hidden conditions you need to take into consideration.
    2. Walk the dog for a little bit each day to get your body used to moving again.
    3. Try to go a little further a little faster with each walk. Increase up to 30 minutes a day. You can then work up to running if you choose. I've read recently that an effective way to get into running is to just run short distances during your walk and try to increase the ratio of running to walking as you go. Only run if your doc says it's ok.
    4. After a week, add in weight training. Always follow your body's natural movements and use your legs, not your back to press. Do each weight 8 reps and use enough weight each time that it is difficult to lift the last rep. Do three sets of 8. You do not have to do all three sets in a row. I always do abs as one set of straight crunches, then left obliques, then lower abs and right obliques. Repeat.
    5. Each workout add enough weight to make that last rep difficult and if you're training for weight loss and endurance rather than body building, you can increase your reps instead.

This way you allow your body to become accustomed to working out and you minimize the amount of pain you have from overexertion. Now that you're working out, switch to whole grain bread, add in full servings (for a grownup) of fruits and veggies (if you don't have any, I planted my garden before I got laid off expecting to take the overflow to work. I'm drowning in veggies here) and pay attention to the other stuff you're eating. You don't have to do anything, just pay attention.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I can't believe you guys are arguing about the turkey, a symbolic icon of unity in the USA.

Ben Franklin lobbied for the turkey to be our national symbol.

“ For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.
    With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For in Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

Actually, he has a point there. I've met a turkey who, unhappy with my presence, did a remarkable job defending his turf...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    "For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him. "

Lions do this to hyenas too. The school bully used to do this with school lunch money too, until I kicked the shit out of him!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

What are these pictures you're talking about? No one posted pictures of partial after nutz partially posted a partial picture of partial, and if they did and i missed it, they should have been dealt with and the pictures removed, not the thread. Like I said, we have measures to deal with misbehavior, and deleting unrelated content to protect someone's fragile ego was never supposed to be one of them.

I just think it was a biased and cowardly (insofar as using Joe is concerned) way to deal with a problem that ended up splitting and growing as a result, both on an individual level and on this whole victimhood/protected stupidity level that's been discussed before when it continued to get out of hand.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I miss Retail - we need someone on here who will relentlessly and tirelessly defend Mike Sherman, any time his horrible name appears in a thread.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Rat Starter
    Dang, I didn't even realize this thread exited til fucking Rand bumped it up. In my solitude, I just spent 2 fucking hours reading this stuff. I wish I was around when this thread was "live."

Oh fie! I was in exile.

For the record, Woodbuck would make a great mod. Woody is the master of objective reasoning. He argues with logic and humor, so unlike Scott Campbell (Yo, Campbell quit using my polygamy joke!).

Btw, I like creative writing. I volunteer to write lyrics for this forum, if that's a-ok.
    Last edited by Rodgers12; 01-24-2014 at 02:22 AM.

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Nine .......One.......Seven

Bring back retailguy.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau