Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ya, I realize you do that, I just though maybe GrnBay007 had one of the thickened hot sauces, which would explain why she didn't perceive a problem mixing without an added emulsifier.
    Since she was using it as a pasta sauce, and was no where near half and half I think its a lot more likely she just mixed the two, tossed with her dish where it probably broke depending on how fast everyone inhaled it. When the oil is olive oil the consequences aren't so bad as people are accustomed to finishing a dish with olive oil--both parts of this particular emulsion are good on their own.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    WAG.....west Edmonds girl. Yep......good times back at UW.
    You bet!!! DAWGS RULE! Cougs need not apply!

Although the Cougs make some decent cheese... but that's about all I'll give them....

Football been very very good to me

Chandler's Whiskey Crab Soup kicks ass!

I love this place!

http://www.schwartzbros.com/pdf/Chan...df?v=20120302a

Haha it's pronounced "pie-ay-ya" not "pie-ela."

Couple of other notes from that guys video:

1. No way would I cook the chicken and chorizo during the rice. That's a sure way to overcook it. Cook the non-seafood proteins separately and add them back at the end. And go easy on this shit, paella is about the rice.

2. A good paella base is made with sofrito which is more than just tomatoes and garlic.

For 3 cups of Sofrito
    2 yellow onions peeled and diced
    2 red bell peppers, diced
    1/2 c olive oil
    6 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (about a 20oz can is better 11 months of the year)
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 T sherry vinegar
    4 jalapeno
    1 T pimenton (hot smoked paprika)
    small pinch of saffron (optional)
    1/4 cup diced jamon serrano (optional)

saute onions and peppers in oil until soft and sweet--20 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook another 20. Deglaze the pan with sherry vinegar and stir in everything else, cooking for 10 minutes. Freezes very well.
    3. Personally I like to cut down on the stock, I omit it completely if its not homemade. Paella has some delicate flavors going on along with some bold ones. Adding chicken or seafood stock tastes nice but at that point you might as well be using yellow food coloring instead of saffron. The other advantage of using mostly water as a cooking liquid is that you can buy dried safflower instead of saffron which is much cheaper but includes the floral waste of the plant with the saffron. I steep safflower in my water and strain it out, essentially cooking my paella in saffron tea.

4. Don't use sweet paprika, the stuff doesn't taste like anything. Pimenton, or hot smoked paprika is what you really want... not just for paella either. It'll make your deviled eggs rule.

5. The most important part of cooking paella is the toasted layer of rice at the bottom called a socarrat. Done right this is fucking delicious. It might seem like a mess, as you'll essentially have burnt rice stuck to the bottom of your pan when you are finished, but it's what makes paella different than just rice pilaf. I've cheated super hard before and just made the socarrat by spreading rice cooked in sofritto out thin on a silpat and baking. Anyways this is why the guy didn't stir his rice very much and you shouldn't either.

I'll sleep much easier now

An homage to my "Cat That's A Duck Named Jaques"

Swedish Meatballs

Ingredients
    • 2 slices day-old white bread, crumbled
    • 1/2 cup heavy cream
    • 1 teaspoon butter
    • 1 small onion, minced
    • 2/3 pound ground beef
    • 1/3 pound finely ground pork
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
    • 1 tablespoon butter
    • 1/4 cup chicken broth
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or as needed
    • 2 cups beef broth, or as needed
    • 1/2 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place the bread crumbs into a small bowl, and mix in the cream. Allow to stand until crumbs absorb the cream, about 10 minutes. While the bread is soaking, melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion until it turns light brown, about 10 minutes. Place onion into a mixing bowl; mix with the ground beef, ground pork, egg, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Lightly mix in the bread crumbs and cream.
    3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pinch off about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the meat mixture per meatball, and form into balls. Place the meatballs into the skillet, and cook just until the outsides are brown, about 5 minutes, turning the meatballs often. Insides of the meatballs will still be pink. Place browned meatballs into a baking dish, pour in chicken broth, and cover with foil.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven until the meatballs are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove meatballs to a serving dish.
    5. To make brown gravy, pour pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the pan drippings until smooth, and gradually whisk in enough beef broth to total about 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Bring the gravy to a simmer, whisking constantly until thick, about 5 minutes. Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve the gravy with the meatballs.
    Last edited by easy cheesy; 05-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

A barbecue chicken recipe I ripped off

Ingredients
    • 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 2 tablespoons salt
    • 2 tablespoons black pepper
    • 6 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup salt
    • 5 teaspoons black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons dry mesquite flavored seasoning mix
    • 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed
    • 1 teaspoon butter
    • 1 (12 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce

Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, milk, 2 tablespoons salt, and 2 tablespoons pepper with a fork until smooth. In another large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/4 cup salt, 5 teaspoons pepper, garlic, and mesquite seasoning.
    2. Fill a large heavy skillet or wok halfway full with oil. Heat to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Use a fork to pick up one chicken strip at a time, and dip it into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, back into the egg mixture, and into the flour mixture again. Place coated strips into the hot oil to fry. Do not over crowd, just cook in batches. Once chicken is browned on one side, flip over, and brown on the other side.
    3. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Butter one 12x20 inch glass baking dish, or two 9x13 inch baking dishes. Pour enough barbeque sauce into the dish to coat the bottom. Arrange fried chicken strips in rows in the prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over the top.
    4. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the sauce is caramelized onto the chicken.
    Last edited by easy cheesy; 05-05-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Spicy ripped off cheesy meaty dippy thingy

Ingredients
    • 1/2 pound ground beef
    • 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
    • 2 pounds processed cheese food, cubed
    • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid

Directions

1. Place ground beef and ground pork sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
    2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt processed cheese food. Stir in diced tomatoes with green chile peppers while processed cheese food is melting.
    3. Drain ground beef and ground sausage. Mix into the processed cheese food mixture. Transfer to a medium dish and serve warm.
    Last edited by easy cheesy; 05-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/

Hunkering down for the Kentucky Derby and going out to get ingredients for a Mint Julep.... Here's to you Bob Baffert!!! Oh and Bodemeister too!!!***clink***

4 fresh mint sprigs
    2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
    1 tsp powdered sugar
    2 tsp water

Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill the glass with shaved or crushed ice and add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.

Riders going up! First Mint Julep going down! HEEEEYYYYYYY!!!! Made with Makers Mark of course! ***tearing up for the official singing of My Old Kentucky Home***

Lobster Mac and Cheese

Ingredients
    • 1 pound macaroni
    • 1 (2 pound) lobster, split
    • 1 small onion, diced
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 2 cups milk
    • 1 small clove garlic, minced
    • 1 shallot, chopped
    • 10 black peppercorns
    • Kosher salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • 5 tablespoons flour, plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, or 2 tablespoons cornstarch and water
    • 2 pounds grated cheese, mixture of Gruyere, extra sharp cheddar, and Pecorino Romano
    • 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large pot, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve, also reserve the water. Steam the lobster over the water for 3 minutes, then cool, remove the meat, and reserve both the meat and the shell. In a medium sauce pot, sweat the onions in 2 tablespoons butter, and remove. In the same pot, scald the milk and add the garlic, shallots, and peppercorns. Add the lobster shells to create a fish stock. Bring the "stock" to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make a roux by combining 5 tablespoons of flour with 5 tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pot over medium-high heat. Cook until it thickens and develops a golden yellow color. Set aside roux. Strain the stock and return it to the pan. Once the stock begins to simmer again, start whisking the cheeses in slowly until fully incorporated (this will also thicken the sauce). Add the roux to thicken a little more, and then add the reserved onions and lobster meat. Toss the sauce with the pasta, and transfer it to a small baking dish. Top with bread crumbs, and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    It shouldn't matter if the oil is warm. Oil and water (hot sauce) just don't mix. At least not for very long. A little emulsifier goes a long way. Eggs contain lecithin and mayo contains eggs so that's always easy, mustard works too.
    Kick ass tips man. I love to cook too.

Oil and heat (hot sauce) and mayo or a good mustard. Solid information by you and 007.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I just love mustard! I like to rub a "sweet hot" mustard on boneless pork chops, place in a non metallic pan/dish and cover with a bit of buttermilk and few splashes of tobasco. Let it marinate overnight. Put flour and seasonings of choice (I prefer garlic salt, black pepper and a bit of Mrs. Dash's Extra Spicy Salt Free seasoning) into a ziplock bag. Drop in the chops to the ziplock bag-o-seasoning, one at a time, and shake until coated. Repeat per chop. Place on a platter in the fridge and let them sit up for a few hours. Heat oil in the pan over medium to medium high heat. Fry furiously until desired amount of "doneness". I originate from the South so I like 'em FRIED! Good shit!

These are the mustards that I prefer and I also dip the finished results into them as a condiment because I am such a mustard freak!

Quote Originally Posted by easy cheesy View Post
    I just love mustard! I like to rub a "sweet hot" mustard on boneless pork chops, place in a non metallic pan/dish and cover with a bit of buttermilk and few splashes of tobasco. Let it marinate overnight. Put flour and seasonings of choice (I prefer garlic salt, black pepper and a bit of Mrs. Dash's Extra Spicy Salt Free seasoning) into a ziplock bag. Drop in the chops to the ziplock bag-o-seasoning, one at a time, and shake until coated. Repeat per chop. Place on a platter in the fridge and let them sit up for a few hours. Heat oil in the pan over medium to medium high heat. Fry furiously until desired amount of "doneness". I originate from the South so I like 'em FRIED! Good shit!

These are the mustards that I prefer and I also dip the finished results into them as a condiment because I am such a mustard freak!

Good stuff! Asian grocery stores are a good spot to find really sweet, really hot mustard. I like to make a glaze/sauce of red currant jam and chinese hot mustard. The meat of kings!