Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I cooked professionally in Galena while at Platteville.
    Where did you cook in Galena? Several good restaurants there. I hadn't been to Galena in quite awhile but this past spring my daughter took some golf lessons from a pro at the territory. We stopped at a place popular for their pizza....grrrr can't remember the name but it started with a C. lol

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007 View Post
    Wow, thanks for doing that!!

Ok, now I have a couple questions 1/4 c shortening. Is that a lot of fat for a pizza crust (or for 2 like you mentioned)? I've never made homemade pizza crust before. Would it be ok to substitute olive oil?

When you mentioned canned tomatoes. Are you talking about the store canned tomatoes or the REAL canned tomatoes? Dang I missed those real canned tomatoes my Mom always had year round. I canned them when I had a garden for the couple years I lived in the country. Now no garden, no canned tomatoes.
    Yeah I'd say that's a lot of fat considering my crust only has trace amounts. Olive oil is a fine substitute but it causes a new problem for you to worry about. Olive oil has a pretty low smoke point in comparison to other oils and thus will start to burn! In a commercial pizza oven which can be 900 degress, you're olive oil would turn into something that you don't want to eat, you may or may not get away with it at home. Its just something to think about. Clarified butter, soybean oil, are two alternatives.

And yes I'm just talking about canned store tomatoes, they are plenty real for our purposes. If you go to Glorioso's on Brady St. You'll find a wide variety of canned San Marzano tomatoes.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 07-26-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    If you lived closer... I have a ton of grape, cherry, roma and beefsteak tomatoes that I can't get rid of.
    I'd travel pretty far for the beefsteaks. Every grow any heirlooms?

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007 View Post
    Where did you cook in Galena? Several good restaurants there. I hadn't been to Galena in quite awhile but this past spring my daughter took some golf lessons from a pro at the territory. We stopped at a place popular for their pizza....grrrr can't remember the name but it started with a C. lol
    Cannova's

I didn't actually work at a pizza place. I worked at Eagle Ridge where I headed up Banquets and worked in the fine dining restaurant. Its the type of place where the menu changes biweekly and one of our chefs was a pioneer in "modernist cuisine."

Used to be right in my neighborhood too. Anytime anyone visited, we always went to Mimmas. Now if you have a recipe for THAT....
    I emailed them for you.

I'll post back about the pho as well.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 07-26-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    when i think of chicago style pizza i think more of a pie style crust where the sauce is on the top not the bottom.
    That's a deep dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    got a hummus recipe?
    I don't have one but I'll bet Simply Recipes does. Simply Recipes is the personal blog and recipe website of Elise Bauer. Unlike most popular recipe websites she's only got a few hundred recpies and every one of them is tested by her and her family. You know how when you try a Juilia Child recipe everything just works out? Her's are the same. They are the only recipes on the web that I'll trust without ever having tried them personally. Here's her recipe for hummus:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hummus/

Ok, but if you guys keep this up, you're going to have to make me a pie with an impossibly thin crust...and mushrooms.

by the way, what are those really, really thin oriental noodles? The ones that look like angel hair pasta? I need to learn how to cook them and how to make that awesome brown sauce the old Chinese dude makes at my favorite hole in the wall. I also need to know how to make pho broth correctly. I know it has ginger and star of anise, but don't know the quantities, etc. And pho must be made with round steak. None of this chicken shit either.
    I needed time to write a proper response to this.

Ok the noodles: Thin noodles in a chinese place can be a variety of things. Rice noodles are often very thin but I'll assume that's not what we're talking about as you'd probably recognize them as rice noodles. They are white and not very chewy and not a great choice to put sauce on as they aren't too starchy and don't pick up much sauce. Thin noodles are really common in cantonese places and are made with alkaline water. This is pretty strictly a Chinese method, the addition of a base "relaxes" the gluten of the wheat noodles and creates a VERY chewy noodle with that distinctive alkaline taste... like the outside of a soft pretzel (which is covered in lye and yolk). You could also be talking about plain old lo mein that nearly every Chinese place has, I think angel hair is a little bit thinner than this though.

There is a chance that you are talking about La Mian which IMO is the holy grail of Chinese noodles. These are rare in the states and I don't know a single place in WI that serves it. These noodles are hand pulled. Making the dough for them is tough, making the dough into noodles is even tougher. I started learning how to make them this past winter and it took me a couple months of practice to be able to make something usable. Here's a video so you can see what all the fuss is about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LWBlHmJmjg

Now Pho. I don't know much about Vietnamese cuisine but I do have a good Pho recipe.

This came from a restaurant called "Pho King." No Pho King joke.

Ingredients:
    2 medium yellow onions, cut in half, paper removed
    1 large ginger finger, or 2 medium.
    5-6 pounds beef soup bones -- shin, leg, and knuckle bones, preferably with marrow -- not neck or tail bones. Cut into pieces about 3" - 4" long.
    4 - 6 star anise (to your taste)
    4 - 6 whole cloves
    3" piece of Asian cinnamon stick (or 4" Mexican, in extremis)
    1 pound beef stewing meat cut into 2" x 2" pieces.
    1-1/2 tablespoons salt
    4 tablespoons fish sauce
    1 1-inch chunk yellow rock sugar, or (not nearly as good) 2 tbs granulated white sugar

Technique:
    Broil the onion and ginger until softened. Skin does not need to be blackened, but it may be. Set aside to cool.

Parboil the bones as follows: Place the bones in a stock pot, cover with water -- about 7 - 8 quarts. Bring to the boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Turn on the hot water sink tap. Empty the bones and water into the sink. Allow water to go into the drain. Thorougly rinse the bones to get rid of any impurities that may have stuck to them. Set aside when clean. Thoroughly rinse the pot to get of any impurities that may have stuck to it. Return the bones to the pot, and cover with fresh, cool water.

Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and skim the scum.

Peel the ginger, getting rid of all skin -- and any blackened bits. After the first skim, add the onions, ginger, and the other remaining ingredients to the stock. Check for scum at ten minute intervals, three times. Skim any scum that appears.

Beginning at the 1 hour mark, check the meat to see if it is tender (but not stringy). Check every 15 minutes thereafter. When the meat is cooked (usually about 90 minutes), remove it. Drain and immediately wrap (still hot) in cling wrap. Reserve in the fridge, and use later as one of the pho meats.

Continue simmering stock. If water evaporates so bones become exposed, add more water as necessary. Stock should be finished at around 3 - 3-1/2 hours total simmer time (not counting the par-boil). Strain through a fine sieve. Check bones for any tendon which may have clung to them. If there is tendon, reserve in the same way as the cooked beef. Defat the stock if you like, but not too aggressively. Stock should be rich but not greasy.

Yield, about 5 quarts.

Fuck you people and your fresh tomatoes.

Did you come up and fish this summer?
    C.H.U.D.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post

Nope, first summer in the real world. Sounds like it was a mistake though. From what I hear they are raking.

Cook Inlet has been hot...Bristol Bay was down though. I was hoping to get the chance to buy you a beer when you passed through....next time.
    C.H.U.D.

Did you fish Kodiak/Chignik?
    C.H.U.D.

I was all lower Cook Inlet.

Picked up some very nice white peaches today....going to make some salsa as well as a galette.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post

I wasn't invited [snif].
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients

Tomato sauce:
    1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil (about 1/4 cup)
    1 cup boiling water
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (If I can't use fresh tomatoes I use Pomi Chopped Tomatoes- no sodium- really good... tastes very fresh... not like canned!)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced

(I also add hot red pepper flakes because I like a little spice!!!)
    Chicken:
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Cooking spray
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I use only whole milk mozzarella... it's my cheese weakness! I also add shaved parmesan and asiago cheeses when I bake it!)
    3 cups hot cooked linguine (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta) (I prefer Spaghetti... use whatever ya' like!!!)

Preparation

To prepare tomato sauce, combine sun-dried tomatoes and water in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and finely chop tomatoes.Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion; sauté 7 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, basil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic.
    Preheat oven to 350°.
    To prepare chicken, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a shallow dish. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dip each breast half in egg white; dredge in flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Arrange in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Serve over linguine.

Football been very very good to me

Bourbon Glazed Ribs

Ingredients:
    5 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon plum sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
    1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 2 1/4- to 2 1/2-pound racks baby back pork ribs
    1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

Preparation

Whisk first 11 ingredients in small bowl.

Do ahead: Glaze can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place long sheet of heavy-duty foil on each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Sprinkle rib racks on all sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 rib rack on each foil sheet. Fold up sides of each foil sheet around rib rack to form boat-like shape. Pour 1/2 cup pineapple juice over each rib rack. Fold up foil to seal packets. Bake until ribs are tender, about 1 hour. Remove ribs from foil packets. Transfer to roasting pan; pour any juices from foil over and cool.

Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Cut each rib rack in half. Grill until browned, brushing frequently with glaze and turning often, about 10 minutes. Cut racks between bones into ribs.

*An Indonesian hot chili paste; available at many supermarkets, at Asian markets, and from mingspantry.com.

Serve with...

So how many fresh romas do you substitute per can of tomatoes?

@3irty1 this is the first and last year for beefsteaks. We'll see what happens with the heirlooms next year.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

So how many fresh romas do you substitute per can of tomatoes?

@3irty1 this is the first and last year for beefsteaks. We'll see what happens with the heirlooms next year.
    Sometimes I won't even use Romas. I'll peel and seed beefsteaks or whatever and in terms of how much.... I'm one of those who cooks by taste, loosely follows recipes and loves tomatoes! Strictly guessing and from my skewed perspective, I would use about 6-8 Romas (depending on size) and about 3 peeled and seeded beefsteaks to sub out for a can. I always buy more than I need and add according to taste knowing that considering my love of tomatoes, no tomato shall go unloved or ignored!

Jumbo Shrimp in Cream and Mustard Sauce
    (4 Servings)

1/4 cup of butter
    24 shelled, raw jumbo shrimp
    2 tablespoons brandy
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 1/2 tsps.Grey Poupon or French style mustard
    Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Heat the butter in a skillet and cook shrimp for just a couple of minutes. Warm the Brandy, pour over the shrimp and flambe.

When the flames have subsided, stir in the cream then season to taste with the mustard, salt and white pepper

Simmer very gently for 4-5 minutes or until the shrimp are tender, they can go tough REAL QUICK... you can always remove from the pan and reintroduce to the sauce/heat right before serving.

Squeeze a fresh wedge of lemon into the pan right before serving...

Luxuriously rich but soooooo goooood!!

Serve with boiled rice or orzo and vegetable or salad of choice

Southern Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
    Approx. 4 pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, like Johnny's
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 pound lard or vegetable shortening
    1 stick of butter
    tobasco to taste

Directions:
    Rinse chicken pieces and blot with paper towel. Combine buttermilk, 1/4 tsp pepper, and tobasco... I don't measure... just kind of liberally shake a few times! Pour over chicken, cover and marinate overnight. The buttermilk adds flavor and tenderizes the chicken as well.

Combine flour, salt and remaining pepper in a large ziplock bag and shake well. Line a baking sheet with three layers of paper towels and place near stove.

Put the lard (or shortening) and butter in a large, well seasoned cast iron pan large enough to hold chicken pieces without touching. Melt over medium high heat... when melted.. should be about 1/2 inch of "fat" in the pan. Heat to about 365 (use candy thermometer) or until a small cube of bread dropped into the fat browns in about a minute.

Drain chicken, dredge in flour (I like to shake it in the ziplock rather than dredge), shake off excess mixture and place in skillet, skin side down. Fry in batches if necessary... don't let chicken pieces touch.

Don't move chicken for 5 minutes or so while it is in the pan or until the coating seems firm. Check the underside by lifting with tongs. Cook pieces between 8 and 20 minutes, depending on thickness, turn periodically until crispy brown and cooked through. If you need to test, cut into the thickest part of meat. Juices should run clear.

When done, remove chicken and place on paper towels to drain.

Serve hot or cold

Complete the meal with...

Green Beans with Bacon and Onion... Mashed Potatoes... Corn Bread... Apple Pie