Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

Quote Originally Posted by easy cheesy View Post
    You'd better duck fucker cuz this Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Guess I'd better plan on having cobra for the next two weeks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Guess I'd better plan on having cobra for the next two weeks.....
    ummmm.... maybe I'll plan on eating "cobra" for the next two weeks!
    Football been very very good to me

OWWWWWW!!!! Not the 40zzzzz......

OK.... restaurant nightmare story.... I apologize in advance if it offends... BUTT.. (couldn't resist)...

Picture it...High School... a classmate was working at a local chinese restaurant as a prep cook...this fine establishment has, amongst it's many guests, one guest in particular who makes the employees cringe....(the owners never did a damned thing about his behavior because he was a "regular" but, that's another story)...his conversation is too "familiar"... he's loud.. he's crass... he's drunk... he stinks... he pinches...he calls staff members "stupid incompetent assholes".... you get the picture... he always liked extra carrots in his dish... prep cook is happy to oblige, and, since the favored guest loves the word "asshole" so much, prep cook makes sure the carrot has a proper "dip" before being added to the dish...in his "honor" of course... asshole to asshole... Now... I never worked at this establishment and I certainly don't condone such acts... however.. as a 16 year old listening to the story at the time... I laughed my (pardon the word) ass off....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

OWWWWWW!!!! Not the 40zzzzz......
    Naw baby!! (or should I say gnaw baby) ***wink wink nudge nudge***

Grilled Pork Chops with Grilled Peach Salsa Recipe
    For the grilled Peaches:
    4 Southern Peaches (must be very ripe) halved and pitted
    2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    2 Tbsp Pure Cane Syrup
    2 tsp Creole Seasoning
    1 tsp Kosher Salt

Additional grill prep for the salsa:
    1 Roasted Red Pepper,
    1/2 of a large Vidalia Onion, cut into 1/2″ slices and rubber with olive oil

Warm a gas or charcoal grill to 350-400 degrees F.
    Toss all of the above ingredients together, making sure to coat the peaches well. Grill the peaches flat side down until they start to caramelize and get some grill marks, flip them over skin side down onto a cooler spot of the grill to finish warming through. At the same time, roast your pepper on the grill until the skin is black all over, and grill the Vidalia Onion slices.

When the peaches are warmed through and softened remove the skins and slice lengthwise, place into a medium sized bowl. Also peel, seed, and slice the roasted Red pepper into strips; Chop the grilled Vidalia Onion.

Grilled Southern Peach Salsa Recipe
    4 Grilled Southern Peaches (see above)
    1 Roasted Red Pepper, sliced (see above)
    1/2 Grilled Vidalia Onion, chopped (see above)
    2 tsp Pure Cane Syrup
    3 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
    Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Combine all ingredients while still hot, serve at room temperature.
    Grilled Pork Chops with Grilled Peach Salsa Recipe

4 Bone in, thick cut Pork Chops
    1 Recipe Seasoning Mix (see below)
    1 Recipe Apricot Glaze (see below)
    1 Recipe Grilled Peach Salsa
    Seasoning mix:
    1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
    1 Tbsp Kosher Salt (if using commercial creole seasoning omit)
    1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    Combine.

Apricot Glaze:
    3 Tbsp Apricot Preserves
    1 Tbsp Pure Cane Syrup
    1 Tbsp Creole Mustard

Combine all ingredients.

Season the pork chops liberally with some of the seasoning mix.
    Preheat a Charcoal or Gas grill to 400 degrees F with a pan going with smoldering wood chips (This recipe uses Pecan chips). When hot, grill the Pork chops to desired degree of doneness, this recipe goes to medium- about 140 degrees. Brush the chops with the apricot glaze, let it warm a bit and remove the chops.

Top the glazed chops with a generous portion of the warm Peach Salsa, make sure to drizzle some of the liquid as well. Enjoy!

Barring a "merge"... I have "dredged" up some of Skinbaskets goodies.... Hellz Yeah!

Buttery Balls for All....

Cooking With SkinBasket

The SkinBasket cooks for his household. Here, due to overwhelming demand, he will share his exclusive, gourmet recipes. Let's start with something simple.

SkinBasket's Buttery Balls:

1 package of spaghetti
    1 Jar of pasta sauce - Newman's Own is good and helps retarded kids or something.
    2 Tbsp Butter
    Salt
    Pizza or roll dough
    Lots of grated cheese
    Spices and Herbs

Cook Spaghetti
    Mix spaghetti with your favorite sauce and cheese
    Freeze golf ball sized balls of noodly mix

Cover frozen noodle balls with dough. Any roll or pizza dough will do. Cover entire ball with dough, making new, double layered ball.

Place on slightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until browned. Freezing the mixture should have prevented most of your balls from rupturing

Brush baked balls with butter. Sprinkle with salt and favorite herbs and spice or grated cheese.

Julia Child's recipe for Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients

One 6-ounce piece of chunk bacon
    3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 onion, sliced
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 cups red wine, young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy)
    2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups brown beef stock
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 cloves mashed garlic
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    A crumbled bay leaf
    18 to 24 white onions, small
    3 1/2 tablespoons butter
    Herb bouquet (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
    1 pound mushrooms, fresh and quartered

Cooking Directions

Remove bacon rind and cut into lardons (sticks 1/4-inch thick and 1 1/2 inches long). Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts water. Drain and dry.
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    Sauté lardons in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly. Remove to a side dish with a slotted spoon.

Dry beef in paper towels; it will not brown if it is damp. Heat fat in casserole until almost smoking. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Add it to the lardons.
    In the same fat, brown the sliced vegetables. Pour out the excess fat.
    Return the beef and bacon to the casserole and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.
    Toss the meat again and return to oven for 4 minutes (this browns the flour and coves the meat with a light crust).
    Remove casserole and turn oven down to 325 degrees.

Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock, just enough so that the meat is barely covered.
    Add the tomato paste, garlic, herbs and bacon rind. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove.
    Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.

While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.
    Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with one and one-half tablespoons of the oil until bubbling in a skillet.
    Add onions and sauté over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling them so they will brown as evenly as possible. Be careful not to break their skins. You cannot expect them to brown uniformly.
    Add 1/2 cup of the stock, salt and pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.
    Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender but hold their shape, and the liquid has evaporated. Remove herb bouquet and set onions aside.
    Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil and butter over high heat. As soon as you see butter has begun to subside, indicating it is hot enough, add mushrooms.

Toss and shake pan for 4 to 5 minutes. As soon as they have begun to brown lightly, remove from heat.
    When the meat is tender, pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a saucepan.
    Wash out the casserole and return the beef and lardons to it. Distribute the cooked onions and mushrooms on top.
    Skim fat off sauce in saucepan. Simmer sauce for a minute or 2, skimming off additional fat as it rises. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.

If too thin, boil it down rapidly. If too thick, mix in a few tablespoons stock. Taste carefully for seasoning.
    Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce several times.
    Serve in casserole, or arrange stew on a platter surrounded with potatoes, noodles or rice, and decorated with parsley.

Quote Originally Posted by easy cheesy View Post
    Sometimes I won't even use Romas. I'll peel and seed beefsteaks or whatever and in terms of how much.... I'm one of those who cooks by taste, loosely follows recipes and loves tomatoes! Strictly guessing and from my skewed perspective, I would use about 6-8 Romas (depending on size) and about 3 peeled and seeded beefsteaks to sub out for a can. I always buy more than I need and add according to taste knowing that considering my love of tomatoes, no tomato shall go unloved or ignored!

It is too bad you're not here. If I thought they would travel, I'd mail you a bushel.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    It is too bad you're not here. If I thought they would travel, I'd mail you a bushel.
    It's the thought Miss Zig! I'd send you back some kick ass food.. I RAWK... culinarily speaking of course...

Mei fan is awesome! If I weren't so full, I'd be hungry for more!
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

This one is simple and the results will make you appear as a gourmet cook to your friends.

Get a cut of Beef Roast like cross rib roast or ... one with some fat for flavour. Maybe you need to go lean so whatever....sirloin may be best for you.

Braise it on all sides and collect any juise. Toss braised beef and juice in your tall toasting pot.

Simply cut to size...any vegetable you like ( cut into stewing sized pieces). ie tomatoes, carrots, turnip, onions, tomatoes, celeryand add your spices...salt and pepper are the common ones. Be as creative as you so desire. NOW the simple secret. Add an amount of Pepsi Cola I don't use COKE as I find the sweetness in Pepsi works for me. Add Pepsi Cola to top all of your vegges that surround and cover the roast. Cook at a slow 325 F oven. Depended on size of your roast: 2.5 - 3 Hours will usually suffice and the length determines the tenderness of your roast and the degree that the sweetness goes into your veggies and you don't want them falling apart. .

Voila!!! Pepsi Pot Roast...and it's a WINNER ! ! Deliscious ! !

Note : You can also use Pepsi as a gravy base for othe cuts of meat...ie Pork cuts. The gravy will have a slight sweet taste that will surprize you if your unfamiliar with this simple Roast Beef preperation.

Happy cooking PackerRats. Bon Appeite. (-:
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Ahh Tomatoe Buns. Lots of them in Montreal. Their often wearing skin tight jeans.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Lobster Bisque

Lobster bisque is an example of utilitarian cooking at its finest. The goal is to take one ingredient and use as many parts of it as possible in a way that allows it to taste most like its essence. This soup should have a hint of nutmeg, a coat of cognac, but most of all should taste like lobster. One of the most important factors in the soup is the texture, which should be velvety and smooth. This texture is obtained by passing the soup through a fine china cap or chinois. The texture of the soup base, combined with the sliced tail and claw meat and the tart creme fraich is a subtle, nuanced beginning to a meal.

Preparation time about one hour

Ingredients:

• 3 1 1/2 pound live female lobsters

• 2 carrots,peeled and diced small
      3 stalks celery, diced small
      4 medium shallots, diced small
      2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
      3/4 cup vegetable oil
      6 tbsp butter
      4 tbsp flour
      1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
      4 tbsp cognac
      1 cup heavy cream
      1 cup white wine
      2 1/2 quarts fish stock(if fish stock is not available, use half strength chicken stock. If you use canned, be careful when salting, as canned stocks are often salty, although low sodium is available.)
      1 6 oz can tomato paste
      Bouquet Garni with 2 sprigs fresh tarragon added
      pnch of cayenne
      cracked black pepper
      salt .

• Cut the lobster down the center of the head between the eyes.

• Leave the tail whole.

• Separate the tail, the head, and remove the claws.

• Keep any juices, the tomalley and the roe in a bowl and refrigerate.

• Heat a 12 inch saute pan on high heat and add the oil.

• Sear the cut pieces of lobster cut side down, and add the tail and claws whole.

• Cook until the shells are bright red and the flesh is almost cooked, about 8 minutes.

• Remove lobster from the pan and set to the side.

• Add 2 tbsp butter to the pan and saute the shallots, carrot, celery and garlic until lightly browned.

• Add tomato paste and saute for 2 minutes.

• Add white wine, cook for 3 minutes, whisking to evenly disperse the tomato. Add fish stock.

• Add bouquet garni and lobster to the pot and bring to a boil, skimming any froth or fat with a 4 oz ladle.

• Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, and simmer for 15 minutes.

• Remove lobster and set aside, remove boquet garni and discard.
    • Melt remaining 4 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan, add flour and whisk to make the roux.

• Add reserved lobster juices, tomalley, roe and chopped tarragon, and whisk until smooth.
    • Add the cognac to the roux, and then 1/3 at a time, add the roux to the bisque, whisking to remove any lumps before each addition.

• Simmer for 15 minutes.
    • Strain through a china cap using a ladle or rubber spatula to force as much as possible through.

• Add cream and season with salt and pepper.
    • Remove meat from lobster and cut into bite size chunks.
    • Serve with lobster meat, a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of fresh tarragon.

Forty Clove Garlic Chicken-

(Recipe from the Gilroy Garlic Festival circa 1980- NOM!)

1 Frying Chicken cut into pieces
    40 cloves of fresh garlic
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup dry vermouth
    1/2 cup olive oil
    4 stalks celery cut into one inch pieces
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp dry basil
    6 sprigs minced parsley
    pinch of crushed red peppers
    1 lemons
    salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken pieces into shallow baking pan, skin side up.
    Sprinkly all ingredients evenly over top of chicken.
    Squeeze juice from lemon and pour over the top.
    Cut remaining lemon rind into pieces and arrange throughout chicken
    Cover with foil and baked @ 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
    Remove foil and bake additional 15 minutes.

Serve with:

3irty1- you started this thread.... get to contributing.....

Since 3rty1 is like a Honey Badger and don't give a shit... I'm keeping this thread going.... ***hrummmph***... following is a recipe I ripped off from some Gordon Ramsay site...

Fillet of Beef with Mushroom Gratin

This recipe is from Gordon Ramsay’s F Word. Gordon Ramsay says:
    Fillet of Beef has to be the ultimate indulgence. When you bite into it, it actually melts on your tongue like butter. The flavor is phenomenal! Yes it’s sumptuous, yes it’s expensive, but boy is it worth it!
    Gordon Ramsay goes really fast on this recipe like always and gives no measurements. I’ve estimated everything. This recipe should be very close to the one cooked on The F Word. Feel free to make adjustments and let me know if I’ve missed anything. Enjoy!
    Ingredients:

• 1 large Fillet Mignon
    • olive oil
    • 2 shallots (sliced)
    • 3 cloves garlic (smashed with peels on)
    • 1/4 lb. chestnut mushrooms (quartered)
    • 1/4 lb. Shitake Mushrooms (quartered)
    • 1/8 lb. Oyster Mushrooms (quartered)
    • 1/2 cup Cream (eyeball it)
    • 2 Egg Yolk
    • Chives (eyeball it)
    • Salt & Pepper to taste
    Directions:

Mushroom Gratin:

Heat Olive Oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the sliced shallots, and crushed garlic. Simmer for a minute or two and add the mushrooms. Sweat down a bit and remove the garlic. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
    Add cream to a separate bowl and whisk until fluffy. Add egg yolks and whisk together. Add chives and mushroom mix and whisk until well mixed.
    That’s it for the Gratin.
    Fillet of Steak:

Heat olive oil in a hot heavy skillet. Season Fillet with salt and pepper on all sides. Add Fillet to hot oil and brown on all sides. Be careful not to cook the steak at this point or you’ll dry it out.
    Spoon the Mushroom Gratin over the top of the Fillet and top with Parmesan. Place Fillet in a hot oven (450-500 degrees f) for 7 minutes. As Gordon Ramsay said on the F-Word, Fillet of Steak with Mushroom Gratin – DONE!
    He also said he wishes he could “die and F**k off to heaven with his Fillet of Steak”! LOL
    Last edited by easy cheesy; 08-27-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Veal Chops with Cream and Calvados

Serves 4

6-8 small onions
    1/2 pound mushrooms
    4 veal chops
    salt to taste
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    flour for dredging
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup Calvados
    4 tablespoons Creme Fraiche or heavy whipping cream

Peel the onions. Plunge them into boiling water for 5 minutes and drain. Clean and slice mushrooms.

Salt, pepper and flour the veal chops. In a very large skillet, brown them lightly on both sides in hot butter- then add onions and mushrooms. Simmer about 20 minutes- cover halfway through the cooking process.

At the end of the cooking, add the Calvados. Flame it over the heat. Remove the meat. Pour the cream into the cooking juices left in the pan. Simmer a few seconds, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the chops and serve with potatoes, pasta or plain rice- all of which would compliment the cream sauce.

Brulee d'Orange et sa Julienne (or just fricking Burnt Orange Cream)

12 ounces double cream
    4 egg yolks
    2 ounces caster sugar
    1 vanilla pod
    4 ounces orange segments
    3/4 ounces caremelized orange julienne
    1 1/2 ounces Grand Marnier
    1 ounce icing sugar

Mix the cream, egg yolks and caster sugar together and pass through a fine sieve. Remove the seeds from the vanilla pod and stir into the cream mixture.

Divide the orange segments between four ramekins and scatter the caramelized orange julienne on top.

Add the Grand Marnier and divide the cream mixture between the ramekins.

Cook at 300 degrees in a bain-Marie for about 40 minutes until lightly set. Leave to cool.

Dust with the icing sugar and glaze under a hot grill to give a golden bown caramelized top.

I ripped off this recipe from the Savoy Hotel and it RAWKS!