Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Another boring money post

Another boring money post

Hey, smart money people, WWYD with 60k right now investment wise?
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Pay off my mortgage.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Strip club. You are investing in a person's future

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Hey, smart money people, WWYD with 60k right now investment wise?
    AAPL. Just saw a 12 month estimate at 610 USD. It's at 385 right now.

Come on, I wanted the smart people to answer...

Here's a boring answer:

large cap stocks with high dividend yields and good cash flow. Collect the dividend while you wait for the growth.......puts a floor on downside too.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Come on, I wanted the smart people to answer...
    Did you send Tyrone a PM?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
    AAPL. Just saw a 12 month estimate at 610 USD. It's at 385 right now.
    Your fascination with AAPL is blinding, isn't it?

The frustrating thing is that the $600/share estimate is not new, but they keep moving back the "expected by" date. To get to $610, AAPL would increase about 60% from its current price of around $385, but would have to increase around 50% from its high. It has a lot of new territory to go through to get to $600. I think there are other stocks that can do just as well, some of which will also kick in a nice dividend that AAPL does not. Stocks that have been unfairly punished over the last couple months.

I will continue to hold my AAPL stock, but doubt that I will be adding to it. I think there are "better buys" out there. Stocks that could return nearly 50% just by recovering to their recent highs of this year, from which they had been expected to gain 10%-20% just a couple months ago. There were no reasons for some of these stocks to have declined as much as they have, other than just the general market sell off.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Skin, buy a home or two and rent 'em. You would make a great slum lord.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I will continue to hold my AAPL stock, but doubt that I will be adding to it. I think there are "better buys" out there. Stocks that could return nearly 50% just by recovering to their recent highs of this year, from which they had been expected to gain 10%-20% just a couple months ago. There were no reasons for some of these stocks to have declined as much as they have, other than just the general market sell off.
    You should totally PM me an example or two... for research.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'm already a slum lord of my own home. Just not enough glory in it for me. No one recognizes my achievements.

I'm already a slum lord of my own home. Just not enough glory in it for me. No one recognizes my achievements.
    OK. How about some emerging market Vanguard funds? You can mix in some safer stuff from Vanguard like Howie mentioned if you're a pussy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

OK. How about some emerging market Vanguard funds? You can mix in some safer stuff from Vanguard like Howie mentioned if you're a pussy.
    I can buy that kind of shit on Scottrade can't I?

I can buy that kind of shit on Scottrade can't I?
    even from onboard the Scottrade helicopter, I'm told.

A home OR TWO for $60K??? Are you kidding??? You can barely sneeze at one mortgage for that.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    A home OR TWO for $60K??? Are you kidding??? You can barely sneeze at one mortgage for that.
    You can buy a half dozen homes in Detroit right now for 60k.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    You'd be surprised. I bought two homes - one for under 50K that sold three years earlier for 140K and another under 60K that sold two years earlier for 160K. Three rental units each, about 3K/mo. in rental income, 10-15K/year taxes and maintenance. See 31 seconds in....

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Your fascination with AAPL is blinding, isn't it?

The frustrating thing is that the $600/share estimate is not new, but they keep moving back the "expected by" date. To get to $610, AAPL would increase about 60% from its current price of around $385, but would have to increase around 50% from its high. It has a lot of new territory to go through to get to $600. I think there are other stocks that can do just as well, some of which will also kick in a nice dividend that AAPL does not. Stocks that have been unfairly punished over the last couple months.

I don't care how long it takes. Eventually AAPL will get to a 20ish PE like most other big companies. They're a steal and a half and not going anywhere any time soon. I don't have the time to day trade, so I stick with safe stocks mathematically backed to have big returns.

I'm more than happy with the 100% returns I've seen on my AAPL. I'll be overjoyed at 200% in a 3 year stint. That's pretty unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
    I don't care how long it takes. Eventually AAPL will get to a 20ish PE like most other big companies. They're a steal and a half and not going anywhere any time soon. I don't have the time to day trade, so I stick with safe stocks mathematically backed to have big returns.

I'm more than happy with the 100% returns I've seen on my AAPL. I'll be overjoyed at 200% in a 3 year stint. That's pretty unbelievable.
    Who said anything about day trading?

Your 100% return on AAPL is not all that unusual or unique for the period during which it happened. If you have a 100% return, you have owned the stock for around 2 years, at least. During that same time period, you would have had a 200% return already if you had bought PCLN ($500+ now, $160s just 2 years ago). CMI was in the low $40s 2 years ago and hit $120 earlier this year. CAT was in the $30s and $40s in the summer and fall of '09 and is in the high $80s now after having been above $110 for a while this spring and summer. DE went from the low $40s to above $90 and currently is around $80. HOG went from sub $20 to plus $40.

While your initial investment may increase by another 100% if AAPL hits $600, the gain for new money invested (or of the current value of your AAPL holding) will be around 60%. To get there, AAPL has to travel through a price territory that it has never been in. It is in a highly competitive market where one misstep could have a significant impact. I think AAPL is pretty well positioned to get to $600, but I also think there are some old, stodgy companies that might have similar returns from this time forward (if we don't go into another recession), and they can get there just by continuing to do what they have done for 100 years or more. To hedge my bets, I will probably buy some of those soon to hold along with the AAPL stock I already have.

Priceless!