Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Another boring money post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    Gay's congragate at a place called dupont circle? thats is funny! Dupont (the paint company) used to sponser Jeff Gordon, who in Nascar circles was thought to be gay. His team was even given the nickname Rainbow Warriors.

now that dupont has pulled his sponsership, I wonder if Apple will pick him up?
    Dupont Circle is a neighborhood in DC that is one of the best in the city and has a very large gay population. It's where I used to pick up the metro when I worked in Georgetown. Nascar would be an interesting sponsorship.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    If were going to get in touch with my feminine side though, it'd be with that macbook air. The ipad is sooooo lost on me. Its basically like Glee--I do not understand the appeal at all. Maybe I'll just get a macbook air for my girlfriend and just use it at home sometimes like a shameful secret.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
    Not true. That's exactly what you're doing. You're saying the problems with an Android phone are it's features! A few examples: It's 8MP camera is superior the iPhone (it's not). It's screen is superior to the iPhone (it's not). It's smarter to plug in to a computer to synch photos then do it wirelessly (it's not). It's cheaper (in build quality certainly, in price it's not any more or less expensive).
    You just can't let shit go. So you're saying your phone can synch the correct photos automatically between your home and work computers AND automatically transfer the images you want on the external drive right there without making a clusterfuck out of it. Wow that really is a talented phone! And you said yourself that the Samsung screen was better. You're saying the iPhone screen performs better than the Samsung in sunlight? Quit kidding yourself. I COMPARED THE PHONES SIDE BY SIDE AND I LIKE MY PHONE BETTER THAN THE IPHONE I WAS SHOWN. End of story. I AM NOT ALONE. You're a fool if you think I am.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    If were going to get in touch with my feminine side though, it'd be with that macbook air. The ipad is sooooo lost on me. Its basically like Glee--I do not understand the appeal at all. Maybe I'll just get a macbook air for my girlfriend and just use it at home sometimes like a shameful secret.

On a barely related note, do smartphone users really care about the stats of the screen? From what I've seen they are all touch screens and will spend the majority of their lives as a smudgy piece of shit anyways.

On a barely related note, do smartphone users really care about the stats of the screen? From what I've seen they are all touch screens and will spend the majority of their lives as a smudgy piece of shit anyways.
    The only screen "stat" I'm interested in is that it's a 4.3 inch screen. It's nicer to play Angry Birds with the larger screen. Other than that, I like that it's bright and crisp, but bright and crisp are not stats. In other words, I don't care about stats, I just think it's pretty.

Absolutely the way the stock keeps going up! Another 2.5% today. I've doubled my money in two years. Have you doubled your money the past two years? You would be climaxing as well if you were. AAPL is going to allow me to pay off a 300k house in 4 years.

For how dumb you like to tell me that I am, I find it very ironic because I follow a fair amount of the financial advice that you offered up.
    partial my money is SAFELY invested. I work too hard to put it at risk, and I'm older than you. Taking the foolish chances you do would be disastrous for me as i lack 20 years on what your investment portfolio will earn. Over the next 5 years, I'll bet you I'll earn more than you will.

You say you respect my advice. If you can turn your big mouth off for even one minute, DO IT NOW. Unless you have sold your Apple stock, you haven't earned ONE DAMN PENNY. Let's say you bought 100 shares of stock. Today, you still "own" 100 shares of stock. That stock trades at a higher price than when you bought it, TODAY, but it may not tomorrow.

Until you pay taxes on it, YOU HAVE NOT EARNED A PENNY. Never forget that. Only a fool spends money before he earns it, and that fool also plans how he's gonna spend it. Don't do that. You will regret it. On the reverse, you haven't "lost" money until you sell it, or the exchange delists it. You'll still own 100 shares.

Buy it. Hold it. Save it. when you retire, you'll be fine. It is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Finally, you didn't follow all my advice, because I would NEVER tell you to buy single stocks. Never. If you wanted to invest in Apple, I'd have told you to find a good performing mutual fund that holds apple stock. They have enough buying power to properly diversify. You don't, and it's not likely to happen anytime soon either.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    The only screen "stat" I'm interested in is that it's a 4.3 inch screen. It's nicer to play Angry Birds with the larger screen. Other than that, I like that it's bright and crisp, but bright and crisp are not stats. In other words, I don't care about stats, I just think it's pretty.
    I'm loving the 10 in screen on this android tablet. Very nice. You wanna play angry birds I guess this is the way to do it. I'm no good at it, but it looks damn cool, that's for sure.

$220 bucks. Yeah. laughing my ass off, believe me. This angry birds thing is funnier than shit. I won't spend much time on it, but it's a good diversion. I have enough of those, I don't need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    I'm loving the 10 in screen on this android tablet. Very nice. You wanna play angry birds I guess this is the way to do it. I'm no good at it, but it looks damn cool, that's for sure.

$220 bucks. Yeah. laughing my ass off, believe me. This angry birds thing is funnier than shit. I won't spend much time on it, but it's a good diversion. I have enough of those, I don't need another one.
    I got hooked when I had the commute. I had the whole game won, but have had to start over. You should see some of the AB art that people make...

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    partial my money is SAFELY invested. I work too hard to put it at risk, and I'm older than you. Taking the foolish chances you do would be disastrous for me as i lack 20 years on what your investment portfolio will earn. Over the next 5 years, I'll bet you I'll earn more than you will.

You say you respect my advice. If you can turn your big mouth off for even one minute, DO IT NOW. Unless you have sold your Apple stock, you haven't earned ONE DAMN PENNY. Let's say you bought 100 shares of stock. Today, you still "own" 100 shares of stock. That stock trades at a higher price than when you bought it, TODAY, but it may not tomorrow.

Until you pay taxes on it, YOU HAVE NOT EARNED A PENNY. Never forget that. Only a fool spends money before he earns it, and that fool also plans how he's gonna spend it. Don't do that. You will regret it. On the reverse, you haven't "lost" money until you sell it, or the exchange delists it. You'll still own 100 shares.

Buy it. Hold it. Save it. when you retire, you'll be fine. It is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Finally, you didn't follow all my advice, because I would NEVER tell you to buy single stocks. Never. If you wanted to invest in Apple, I'd have told you to find a good performing mutual fund that holds apple stock. They have enough buying power to properly diversify. You don't, and it's not likely to happen anytime soon either.
    I have 35-40K in mutual funds. I'm diversified. I do respect your advice because clearly you know how to manage money. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but some of it is certainly beneficial and principals I've applied to the old ball and chain and my personal finances.

Not really. They're all much higher DPI then our computer monitors to begin with. Having said that, the Apple display is pretty amazing. If only it was a little bigger. It's pretty wild with the Apple display the limiting factor is not the screen itself, but your eye. That is insane to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    You just can't let shit go. So you're saying your phone can synch the correct photos automatically between your home and work computers AND automatically transfer the images you want on the external drive right there without making a clusterfuck out of it. Wow that really is a talented phone! And you said yourself that the Samsung screen was better. You're saying the iPhone screen performs better than the Samsung in sunlight? Quit kidding yourself. I COMPARED THE PHONES SIDE BY SIDE AND I LIKE MY PHONE BETTER THAN THE IPHONE I WAS SHOWN. End of story. I AM NOT ALONE. You're a fool if you think I am.
    I don't think you're alone. There are a lot of people who are biased towards Apple products for bad reasons. I'm confident if you used both phones for a month you'd be more satisfied with the iPhone.

Samsung screen is good. Apple screen is good.

Here's my opinion breakdown:

Useability in size: Samsung
    Quality of display all around: Apple
    Quality of display in sunlight: Apple
    Quality of display indoors: Samsung
    Resolution and clarity: Apple
    Black level: Samsung

It's pretty much a tie. They're both so far ahead of anything the competitors are using. HTC's screens, for example, look like crap compared to either one. Put an Htc Evo next to a Samsung Epic and your jaw will hit the floor at how much better the Sammy is.

Today, the Galaxy S II has the best display because it just came out in America last week. It's 4.3" with an 800x480 res. iPhone 5 is coming out with a display that will be 4" with a 960x640 display, so significantly higher resolution. It'll either tie or top the Samsung.

Here are some links about AMOLED's short coming in sunlight
    http://gizmodo.com/5568760/screen-co...ed-in-sunlight
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/s...unlight-fight/

Opening line to Endaget story:

By now you know that (one of) AMOLED's Achilles' heel is readability in direct sunlight

I have 35-40K in mutual funds. I'm diversified. I do respect your advice because clearly you know how to manage money. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but some of it is certainly beneficial and principals I've applied to the old ball and chain and my personal finances.

If you have more than $1500 - $3000 in Apple stock you are not properly diversified. You can screw around with 5% or 10% of your portfolio. More than that, you're taking too much risk. $1500-$3000 in stock is not paying off a house.... you are not diversified.

Penis
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    envy
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Cockring.
    C.H.U.D.

? HOFer
    Samsung already hedging bet on Android.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/20/samsun...ers-next-year/

? HOFer
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...isfaction.html

Apple has once again topped the American Customer Satisfaction Index for PC makers, making it eight years in a row that consumers have been most satisfied with the Mac maker.

Apple's score in 2011 was up 1 percent to 87, placing the company a comfortable 9 points ahead of its nearest competitor. The average score in the personal computer business was tracked at 78 points on the 0-to-100 scale.

"In the eight years that Apple has led the PC industry in customer satisfaction, its stock price has increased by 2,300%," said Claes Fornell, ACSI founder. "Apples winning combination of innovation and product diversification—including spinning off technologies into entirely new directions—has kept the company consistently at the leading edge."

The ACSI said that Apple's dominance in computer satisfaction appears to be "unstoppable," as competing PC makers topped out in 2011 with scores in the 70s. HP was the best of the lot with a score of 78, while Dell and Acer sat at 77.

The ACSI numbers com from interviews with about 70,000 customers rating more than 225 companies in 47 industries and 10 economic sectors. The latest report released on Tuesday covers consumer satisfaction with PC makers, as well as major appliances and electronics.

Apple's score of 87 in 2011 marks its highest tally yet, besting last year's result of 86 points. HP also improved by one point over last year's score of 77.

Competing PC makers have slightly narrowed the gap against Apple in recent years. In 2009, the Mac maker was 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell, with Apple posting a score of 84 percent.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...r_pricing.html

Struggling to compete with the pricing of Apple's MacBook Air lineup, "Ultrabook" PC makers have again asked Intel to reduce the price of its mobile CPUs.

Executives from both Acer Taiwan and Compal Electronics have turned to Intel and asked the chipmaker to aid them in achieving pricing below $1,000, according to DigiTimes. Intel has partnered with PC makers to push a new specification, dubbed "Ultrabook," designed to compete with Apple's popular thin-and-light MacBook Air.
    Seems like competitors are having a hard time matching the prices that the extremely overpriced Apple is charging.

AAPL up 4% so far this week. Hopefully 6% by the end of today!

I had never heard of Ultrabook before but how sneaky is Intel for dealing to both sides? Can one get a bigger battery for the smallest macbook air? What is the best possible battery life one could squeeze out even if that meant a new battery?

I punch away at a 2 or 3 year old 10" Acer netbook that thanks to some power saving scripts I made can get me 11 hours of battery life of dicking around on the internet. I like it but only having 600 vertical pixels gets me into the occasional problem--like dialogs where you can't see the "OK" at the bottom.

? HOFer
    I had never heard of Ultrabook before but how sneaky is Intel for dealing to both sides? Can one get a bigger battery for the smallest macbook air? What is the best possible battery life one could squeeze out even if that meant a new battery?

I punch away at a 2 or 3 year old 10" Acer netbook that thanks to some power saving scripts I made can get me 11 hours of battery life of dicking around on the internet. I like it but only having 600 vertical pixels gets me into the occasional problem--like dialogs where you can't see the "OK" at the bottom.
    Why's it sneaky? Macs are running the same guts as nice computers, just with a different OS. Apple strategically invests their cash years in advance. This is why they have the best LCD panels from Sharp, the best batteries in mobile, and had the flash memory market working to it's advantage for years with the iPods. This is why they have 75 billion in cash under Steve's mattress.

One cannot get a bigger battery in the MBA. They get a real world usage of 7 hours I've heard. Apple is one of the few vendors who doesn't overstate battery. My MBP gets ridiculously good battery life. The 11" is 1366x768 IIRC

Intel makes a line of something for the Macbook Air, then on its own time comes out with this Ultrabook recipe to create competition between Apple and Acer/Samsung/Sony etc who didn't have anything like the Air. Dealing to both sides of a war they created themselves in computers its good business but in guns its war profiteering.

? HOFer
    Intel makes a line of something for the Macbook Air, then on its own time comes out with this Ultrabook recipe to create competition between Apple and Acer/Samsung/Sony etc who didn't have anything like the Air. Dealing to both sides of a war they created themselves in computers its good business but in guns its war profiteering.
    The Ultra low voltage chips have been available for awhile. Recall Sony had powerful sub-notebooks during the Netbook phase of a few years back. Not Apple's problem that the competition doesn't have as good as engineers or cannot anticipate what users want. Intel didn't create a market, Apple did. The netbook has been around for years, but they were all wrong. Too slow, too thick, too low res, etc. Apple applied their knowledge of design and what the users want to create the ultimate notebook, the 11" MBA!

Recall the MacBook Air has been out for years. Yes, the refresh of it last year made it the sexy little beast it is today. The competition just ignored this market, and now they can't keep up it in. It's really not very surprising given that they ignored it.