Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hater's Take, Part II

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

A Hater's Take, Part II

Umm, for the second season in a row the Packers were able to lay an egg and still win the ball game. The reason this year was the same as last year, Charles Woodson. He was responsible for three turnovers that allowed the Packers to control the ball game.

On offense the Packers looked disjointed all day long. The Packers offense was plagued by penalties by the offensive line, and those penalties were caused by a breakdown in technique across the board. Wells and Lang were the only offensive linemen that didn't receive a holding penalty. When they weren't holding in the first half they were allowing pressure from all directions which didn't allow Aaron Rodgers to find his usual pinpoint accuracy.

Rodgers didn't have a horrible day, but he missed several throws that he was expected to make. He flat out missed an open Greg Jennings two plays in a row, and then threw a back should pass to Jordy Nelson in the endzone that had no chance, it was thrown too wide and too low. He was able to make a great throw on Jenning's deep post for the touchdown and at the end of the game he hit Jordy on the skinny post that was caught in stride and was able to sprint to the endzone. One other thing that I noticed was on the Packers first scoring drive, the play before Kuhn's rushing touchdown Rodgers threw to Kuhn in the flat and Kuhn wasn't able to hang on to it. It seemed that Rodgers let him know about it, whether it was the drop, or if Kuhn ran the wrong route. It doesn't really matter but Rodgers' facial expression has that he seemed pissed off, and he had words with Kuhn after the play. To me, Rodgers allowed his frustrations to come through after that play, he may be a perfectionist, but he needs to keep his composure, and that is a lot to ask but it doesn't look good.

The running game was effective for the entire day. Starks and Grant make good team, neither one of them has any flash what so ever, but they move the ball up field. They catch the ball well and get the yards that are available. Both have to avoid tacklers better and not let the first guy bring them down in the open field, but Starks has the ability to get to the second level and right now is the more dynamic runner than Grant. Grant has always been better in the second half of the season, but he needs to shake the rust off otherwise I don't see a reason for him to be on the field instead of Starks unless it is to spell Starks.

Jennngs and Jordy were the biggest contributors as far as wide receivers go. Jennings was the only receiver that had multiple catches. Finley was Rodgers' main target throughout the game, along with several passes to the running backs.

On defense the Packers allowed another passer to put up over 400 yards on them. The season is only two weeks old and they have given up 900 yards passing. The Packers are getting nothing from Eric Walden, he is stiff in coverage and doesn't get to the passer when he is on blitz Mathews was active most of the day but the Packers need to drop him in coverage every now and then to keep the offense honest. I didn't think the Packers put enough pressure on Cam Newton. The Packers had no answers for Olsen and Shockey. If Newton focused on those two the entire game the score would have been different. Newton locked on to Steve Smith and the Packers took advantage of it with Woodson's two picks. Smith isn't a bad target for a QB to lock onto though, he is quick and gets open. The Packers need Tramon Williams. Shields isn't a starting corner in this league, and Woodson has to pick his spots against a receiver like Steve Smith. All in all outside of Mathews, the Packers linebackers were nonexistent in todays game.

I agree - with everything of the above.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

I think the Packers purposefully took Shockey and Olsen out of the game (presumably by taking off LB coverage and putting a safety or CB on them). I think this explains Burnett in coverage wide on some plays in the second half. It also explains why the WRs all of a sudden were open in zones.

I haven't rewatched the game, but this was my thought as it happened.

Still like seeing the post.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    There's a lot of work to do in just about every aspect of the game. It's good to be 2-0. Big game next week will tell a lot. Tramon being out takes Woodson out of his playmaking rover spot. He came up big in the secondary but couldn't wreak much havoc around the LOS or in the backfield. Tramon is a difference maker and allows Wood to play inside and blitz. Offenses have to adjust to Wood which helps everyone.

Blog Entries
    We need Tramon Back next week
    So far the defense has been a big diappointment but I'll take 2-0 any year
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

The packers should never run left because Clifton can't run block at all.

We start off slow every year... losing to average and sometimes bad teams. At least, we are winning those games this year. Now, let's kick the shit out of the Bears. Bury them early.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    We need Cullen Back
    fixed
    They are playing BJ Raji to death. Pickett on the field too much too.

Honestly, I don't know how Capers is getting by. The linebacker blitzes up the middle aren't working at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    fixed
    They are playing BJ Raji to death. Pickett on the field too much too.

Honestly, I don't know how Capers is getting by. The linebacker blitzes up the middle aren't working at all.
    i wonder if there is a certain number of plays that a d-lineman has in him like running backs have

we could be looking at a young guy who plays almost every snap and plays it well, but has a pretty short career

none of our blitzes are working right now, not just the ones up the middle. its ugly

It seemed that Rodgers let him know about it, whether it was the drop, or if Kuhn ran the wrong route. It doesn't really matter but Rodgers' facial expression has that he seemed pissed off, and he had words with Kuhn after the play. To me, Rodgers allowed his frustrations to come through after that play, he may be a perfectionist, but he needs to keep his composure, and that is a lot to ask but it doesn't look good.
    Yea Brady and Manning do the same thing and I have no problem with Rodgers doing it.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence- Vince Lombardi

? HOFer
    Lack of pass rush is starting to scare me. Hopefully Mike Neal makes a big difference. Cullen Jenkins looked good tonight in the parts of the game I managed to not nap during.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I really think Starks should be starting. He looks a lot quicker and seems to hit the hole harder than Grant, who seems timid and hesitant at times. Our defense has been absolutely horrific. It was convenient to use the excuse of the Saints offense being so good but after Newton torched us I hope we fix our problems and fast. Hard to believe that Newton with 2 400 yard games is not leading the league in passing yards.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    This coaching staff really seems to get the team better over the course of the season.
    However, 2 of the next 3 weeks are at Chicago and at the Falcons.

Get through these 3 weeks and then the next 3 weeks after that lighten up. 6-1 at the bye week would be pretty good.
    When you are the Champs everyone plays you like it is a playoff game.
    The Bears will be upset after their loss this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Yea Brady and Manning do the same thing and I have no problem with Rodgers doing it.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence- Vince Lombardi
    I don't like it when Manning or Brady do it either. Manning always looks like a crybaby when he is bitching at his teammates. Coaches are the ones that demand perfection, not quarterbacks. If McCarthy doesn't like what he sees then he can go chew a little ass, but Rodgers needs to go on to the next play. Nobody bitched at him when he missed Jennings two times in a row for a first down.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
    Lack of pass rush is starting to scare me. Hopefully Mike Neal makes a big difference. Cullen Jenkins looked good tonight in the parts of the game I managed to not nap during.
    I completely agree, but I don't think Mike Neal is going to be the saving grace of our pass rush. This defense is based on timing and the timing is off right now. Our blitz scheme is pretty vanilla right now as well. I see the same blitzes over and over again. Getting Tramon Williams back is also a key. Like others were saying in the posts above, Tramon always Woodson to play the slot, getting him closer to the line of scrimmage where he can rush the passer, and help in run support.

I don't see a reason for him to be on the field instead of Starks unless it is to spell Starks.
    Simple because Starks can't pass block and keeps f'ing up assignments. He blew a block in the 2nd quarter I believe and they pulled him for Grant.
    When #12 is your franchise and you keep exposing him your not getting on the field full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The packers should never run left because Clifton can't run block at all.
    QFT...bring on the younger generation.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
    Simple because Starks can't pass block and keeps f'ing up assignments. He blew a block in the 2nd quarter I believe and they pulled him for Grant.When #12 is your franchise and you keep exposing him your not getting on the field full time.
    This.

And the game itself? It isn't easy to watch a game like this but this team did what championship teams do: they found a way to win when they weren't at their best. I didn't mind Rodgers being frustrated yesterday. He wasn't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I don't like it when Manning or Brady do it either. Manning always looks like a crybaby when he is bitching at his teammates. Coaches are the ones that demand perfection, not quarterbacks. If McCarthy doesn't like what he sees then he can go chew a little ass, but Rodgers needs to go on to the next play. Nobody bitched at him when he missed Jennings two times in a row for a first down.
    Agree. It doesn't pay off long term to do this. One of the things I admired about Favre was that he kept most of that private, and did not display those feelings on the field until much later in his career. And even then I don't think it helped him at all.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In Favre's case I remember during McCarthy's first year as coach he got after Clifton and Colledge a couple of times. Favre was pressing late in his career to win and it sometimes brought out the worst of his character. You don't lead the NFL in all time interceptions thrown and then bitch at teammates on the field. Favre understood mistakes better than anyone, whether it was throwning INTs or getting a receiver decked by throwing high over the middle.