Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Hater's Take, Part II

It's not Rodgers' best trait, but he's not afraid to point out his own faults, so I don't think it will descend into a problem. He took responsibility for the missed pass to Jordy Nelson at the goal line in his PC yesterday. I think he gets frustrated when he senses the offense is not playing well, but I don't think he's looking for someone to blame.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    He should take responsiblity, but that isn't the point, when he is showing frustration at another teammate, that is showing up the teammate for all the world to see. You saw what happened three seasons ago when Finley called out Rodgers when Finley was a rookie, the guy was massacred. It doesn't go both ways when it is the QB and another players

I agree with you that it's not a good thing when he lets his frustration with a teammate show. However, I wouldn't compare it to what Finley did. Finley was using the media to call out Rodgers. I'm pretty sure Rodgers has never done that, and the coaching staff would have a big problem with it if he did.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

He should run down the field and show the receiver how the route should be run when the receiver messes up--like Favre used to do.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He should run down the field and show the receiver how the route should be run when the receiver messes up--like Favre used to do.
    Video?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries

I don't remember Favre running any pass routes and if he did I'd bet they were ugly
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I doubt there's video on it, but I remember it vividly. I think it was the year Favre had all of the injuries at WR (2005 maybe), and there were young guys playing. Favre was in full frustration mode. A receiver would run a bad route, and he'd run down the field and physically show the receiver how to turn out rather than in... or whatever.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Maybe Rodgers should blast his receivers over their contracts (like Favre) or openly campaign for management to sign another receiver to replace one of the receivers currently on the roster (like Favre did with Moss)--instead of campaigning management to resign his guys.

"Sure, Sterling's the guy I've thrown to the most the last two years," said Favre, who signed his own five-year, $19 million blockbuster deal on July 14. "But I can't fold my tent, then walk into the huddle and let the others see that I've given up. In my opinion Sterling's under contract, and he should honor that contract."
    Favre offended Walker when he spoke out against the receiver in his contract dispute, saying he should come to training camp and not hold out. (Walker heeded the advice.) Walker believes Favre's comments made living and working in Wisconsin difficult; Walker tells of one instance when he was in a hotel and an employee announced his presence on an Internet message board for "anyone who had something to say to Javon Walker." It also angered Walker that the team allowed its iconic quarterback to interfere publicly in a teammate's business with management. He held his tongue all year.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," said Walker, still biting his tongue on Favre for the most part.
    Quite honestly, I could care less if Favre said these things. I may even agree with him, but nitpicking Rodgers for not always smiling on the field when things go wrong is a little absurd to me.

Don't remember route running in 2005, but he did get more vocal and visible on the field late in his career, so it fits with my memories. And I don't think it helped him at all.

Which is why Rodgers would do well to mimic earlier Favre (or pick any other even tempered QB you would like, say Joe Montana (his personal favorite) or Steve Young).

Will it stall his career? No. Is it unnecessary? Yes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'll take some grimaces over the alternative.

Updated: May 15, 2007, 11:33 PM ET

MILWAUKEE -- Although Brett Favre plans to skip the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend, he might not be excused by Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

McCarthy was not available for comment Tuesday, but team spokesman Jeff Blumb said that as far as McCarthy was concerned, "the camp is mandatory."

The Packers' three-day minicamp begins Friday, and Favre could face fines from the team if he fails to show up without being formally excused.

Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald that because he is unable to practice while recovering from offseason ankle surgery, he is going to stay home in Mississippi -- where he'll apparently try his hand at party planning.

"They were going to have me sit out anyway," Favre said, in a story that appeared on the paper's Web site on Tuesday. "To be honest, we have [daughter] Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets."

Favre said the move is not related to his frustration with the team's unwillingness to complete a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss.

"I am frustrated," Favre told the paper. "But being frustrated and not going are not related."

Favre spent Saturday grousing about the Packers' front office in a handful of interviews conducted at his charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. On Sunday, Fox Sports' Web site reported that Favre's agent requested a trade shortly after the Packers failed to land Moss during the NFL draft last month. Moss instead was traded from Oakland to New England.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I completely agree, but I don't think Mike Neal is going to be the saving grace of our pass rush. This defense is based on timing and the timing is off right now.
    IF Neal gets back to 100%, he would make a big difference. Cullen Jenkins made a big dif when he returned from injury late last year.

Hey Harv, pretty hard to stay on topic? Posters pointed out the times Favre went after players on the field, it was a normal discussion, and you go off the deep end with Favre. What the point? I don't think anyone mentioned having a 42 year old Favre on the Packer's roster. Chill out.

You don't like my take on Rodgers, go after my take, and about Rodgers.

I'll take some grimaces over the alternative.
    Not asking for a replacement. Looking for a leader who keeps things that belongs in the locker room in the locker room. In fact, I fear grimaces lead almost inevitably to graduation parties over OTAs.

I doubt there's video on it, but I remember it vividly. I think it was the year Favre had all of the injuries at WR (2005 maybe), and there were young guys playing. Favre was in full frustration mode. A receiver would run a bad route, and he'd run down the field and physically show the receiver how to turn out rather than in... or whatever.
    He did it in practice when all the receivers were hurt and nobody was their to run routes. Pactice vs game. You are better than this harvey.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I agree with you that it's not a good thing when he lets his frustration with a teammate show. However, I wouldn't compare it to what Finley did. Finley was using the media to call out Rodgers. I'm pretty sure Rodgers has never done that, and the coaching staff would have a big problem with it if he did.
    Finley did use the media, but I thought Rodgers went and voiced his displeasure with Finley on the field, and that is why reporters asked Finley about the route. I might be mistaken, but that is why I brought it up as a comparision.

In his last 12 healthy games, Rodgers has completed 257 of 392 passes (66%) for 3579 yards (9.1 ypa) with 30 touchdowns and just 3 interceptions. He's on a historic run right now. That kind of play will buy you a lot of credibility in the locker room. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing. He has the same reaction after he misses a throw (his fault) as he does when somebody drops one. However, after the game he always takes blame (sometimes unnecessary) and shows undying loyalty to his guys.

He did it in practice when all the receivers were hurt and nobody was their to run routes. Pactice vs game. You are better than this harvey.
    Nope. How would I know he did it in practice? It was in the games. I remember him doing it several times too--not just once.

Hey Harv, pretty hard to stay on topic? Posters pointed out the times Favre went after players on the field, it was a normal discussion, and you go off the deep end with Favre. What the point? I don't think anyone mentioned having a 42 year old Favre on the Packer's roster. Chill out.

You don't like my take on Rodgers, go after my take, and about Rodgers.
    I did. It's much ado about nothing.

Nope. How would I know he did it in practice? It was in the games. I remember him doing it several times too--not just once.
    Because it was actually reported, unlike your claims that Favre had sarcastically jogged down the field in a middle of game to demonstrate a proper route.

I did. It's much ado about nothing.
    Well great, I think Rodgers is an arrogant asshole