Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holding, #21 Kicking Team Penalty Enforced At the Spot of the Foul

Holding, #21 Kicking Team Penalty Enforced At the Spot of the Foul

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

BUUUSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That play was a team-wide embarrassment. The entire ST coaching staff should be fired, and every Packer on the field for that play should be worked over in practice like a mule until they fall over this week.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Bush looks like he is headed in the right direction, doesn't he?

god help us, bush and the punter were the only ones that actually knew where the ball was going

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Bush looks like he is headed in the right direction, doesn't he?
    he is the gunner though, so either he ran right in front of everyone else and they just ignored him, or he was coming from the left and he was grabbed and spun around

if he was grabbed and spun, then #21 is the dumbest man alive for trying to prevent bush from going the wrong way

He does look headed in the right direction there, but in the replay FOX had, he looped into the middle toward Hester and was way too deep.

Possible the blocking drove him deep or he caught sight of his teammates converging in the middle. But it didn't seem clear he saw Knox and he definitely did not know the ball had landed there.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He does look headed in the right direction there, but in the replay FOX had, he looped into the middle toward Hester and was way too deep.

Possible the blocking drove him deep or he caught sight of his teammates converging in the middle. But it didn't seem clear he saw Knox and he definitely did not know the ball had landed there.
    He could/should have known something was up, considering 21 and Knox were double teaming him at the start and - I think - on every other punt.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    That play was a team-wide embarrassment. The entire ST coaching staff should be fired, and every Packer on the field for that play should be worked over in practice like a mule until they fall over this week.
    It was a great fake. Guys running down field can't see the ball. They're headed for Hester and he's 'trying to catch the ball.' What are they to do - take their eyes off Hester to locate the ball thinking "Hey Masthay SAID he was going to kick it to the sidelines, so since Hester is drifting to the center of the field and making like he's going to catch it, it must be a ruse so I'll take my eyes off the most dangerous punt returner in the NFL to locate the ball or the other guy involved in a fake punt return - the kind of fake punt I've never seen before in my entire football life or ever on TV" - or maybe they thought "Masthtay kicked it wrong"

Thing is, is that Masthay should never have kicked the ball so that it had any chance of landing in bounds, even if the Bears got it at the 50. That was the unforgivable error on that play.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

i don't think it's the big embarrassment some think it is. you can't be looking up going down field, you'll get killed. in the huddle they say we're punting left but shit happens. punts get blocked, shanked, go deep, fall short, go left, and go right sometimes. when everyone goes right you go right. bush was too busy fighting off the guy to notice right away. they have to come up with some communication solution or as someone mentioned, punt ob. it was just a brilliant fake.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    god help us, bush and the punter were the only ones that actually knew where the ball was going
    Ha ha...
    C.H.U.D.

the play called for mashtay to kick to the left sideline, the whole special teams knew he was kicking that was, yet every single one of them went to the right in one giant mass

it was an awesome play by the bears, but i think our ST should feel pretty stupid too

no staying home, no staying in your lanes. if hester had gotten the ball, the whole opposite side of the field was wide open for him

here's the video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-be...that-never-was

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the play called for mashtay to kick to the left sideline, the whole special teams knew he was kicking that was, yet every single one of them went to the right in one giant mass

it was an awesome play by the bears, but i think our ST should feel pretty stupid too

no staying home, no staying in your lanes. if hester had gotten the ball, the whole opposite side of the field was wide open for him

here's the video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-be...that-never-was
    Yes, because punters never mishit a ball. What do you expect? 2 guys to converge on hester and the rest to spread out around the field? Give credit where due, it was a great call by dave toub.
    Go PACK

It's funny how quiet the crowd is even as Knox is running downfield with the ball. They didn't just surprise the Packers, they surprised 70,000 people.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Tim Masthay: "Hey!...Hey!...WTF!...You F***in' idiots!"
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It was a great play. Everyone, the coverage unit, the cameraman and the crowd was fooled.

I do wonder if there was some mis-communication with the coverage unit though. When you watch the video Red posted, it never looks like they were headed to the left side of the field, where the punt was supposed to be going. It's hard to tell, because the video of that time is fleeting and they're all trying to get off blocks, but it looks to me like they're generally going straight down the middle of the field.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I think they are converging on Hester as mentioned. They aren't going to ignore Hester because the ball is supposed to be going to the left. Imagine if they all go left and Hester fields the punt on the right and runs for a score untouched. This was really just an incredible play call and executed to perfection, other than 21 feeling like he had to hold for some reason.

The only way this should work is if our punter is in on it, which I hope he wasn't, and kicks the ball where he shouldn't, which apparently wasn't the case. The ST coverage was undisciplined, unresponsive, and totally fucking retarded.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

McCarthy blamed poor awareness on the coverage unit as a culprit. So rather than Masthay simply yelling "LEFT LEFT!" over and over, it would seem they are supposed to track the ball or other return bodies somewhere along the line.

My question is this: Was Knox lined up on the sideline the whole time, like he was sneaking off the field or something? Or did he fade over there after the snap?

The thing this play does for them, even though they botched it with the hold, is put the seed of doubt in the mind of every player on coverage teams. No team can go as aggressively toward Hester again. This may open up the field for Hester in the future.