Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Programmable Thermostats

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Woodbuck can calculate in one day what it would take a hundred men a week.
    He'll enter that manually
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    He'll enter that manually
    hahahaw
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    You can just type it into the calculator on the internet and it will tell you. Congrats. You are now obsolete.
    Calculator?? I'm not Ole woodbuck27 for nothing MJ.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

There's a regulator you can get that prevents this overheating. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it. We let the place go down to 60 during the day and overnight. Takes an hour, hour 1/2 to heat back up, but we have a lot of rooms with high ceilings so more volume - and it's a 1923 house..... Any lower than 60 and it takes too long to heat.
    One thing for sure. Your not forced into the spare bedroom.

iPod lead designer Tony Fadell launches "Learning Thermostat".

Tony Fadell led the team that designed the iPod at Apple, and contributed to the start of the iPhone project. He's often described as the 'father' of the iPod. But when the former Apple executive's new 'stealth' start-up finally unveiled the product it was working on, it raised a few eyebrows.

But once the clatter of jaws hitting the floor died down, it's clear that Fadell's thermostat is rather different from the unresponsive beige units in most homes. NestLabs, his Silicon Valley start-up, aims to bring a bit of iPod-esque cool to electricity management in the home - and to save home-owners a large amount of money.

The Nest Learning Thermostat aims to overcome the glaring defect of programmable thermostats - the fact that 89 per cent of people don't bother to program them. Tony Fadell's new start-up Nest Labs has created a thermostat that 'learns' your schedule without being programmed. Built-in sensors also alert you if you leave the home
    'It was unacceptable to me that the device that controls 10 per cent of all energy consumed in the U.S. hadn't kept up with advancements in technology and design,' said Fadell.
    'I set out to reinvent the thermostat using the thoughtful design elements the iPhone generation has come to expect.'

Nest programs itself based on the temperatures you set it to during the week - its machine-learning algorithms work out a 'schedule' for you, and it sets itself accordingly, turning down heating or air-con to save energy. Nest doesn't 'learn' once then switch off, either - it keeps 'learning'. It also uses sensors to detect when you've left the house, and automatically turns down the heat while you're out.

The device can be programmed via any smartphone, tablet or PC via wi-fi - and automatically 'guides' you to more energy-efficient settings.

The device is due out in America priced at $249 in November. There is no confirmed release date for other territories.
    link

I wonder if it can tell the difference between the work week and weekend. In other words, NOT turn down if I am here unexpectedly.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

There's a regulator you can get that prevents this overheating. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it. We let the place go down to 60 during the day and overnight. Takes an hour, hour 1/2 to heat back up, but we have a lot of rooms with high ceilings so more volume - and it's a 1923 house..... Any lower than 60 and it takes too long to heat.
    Sounds alot like our 1917 home. 10' ceilings on main, 9' on second and sloped up to 14' on the third floor. Does the regulator strap on the pipes to cut out the furnance? We have that already, but when the water gets to 160 - 170 it takes a long time to cool down. There is a alot of water in the system as it is original furnace, and I have no desire to up grade as it only costs about 90 ish per month to heat versus 10 grand for an efficent boiler big enough for our house.
    So what does the regulator do and where does it go?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

I'm an Engineering Technologist in Industrial Instrumentation and Control Technology and also in a practical sense an Electrical Technician. I have a BEd in Technology Education and Vocational Training.

Hopefully you learned all that stuff in less time than it took you to learn the "ignore" feature.

? HOFer

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I need one of these for my wife

waitasecond....Is there a similarity there? Ooooo...I think there is...

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I need one of these for my wife

waitasecond....Is there a similarity there? Ooooo...I think there is...

WOW that's so sad. You heat your large house with a stove element. OK great and ... enterprizing! Keeps the water boiling for coffee, tea, hot chocolat and hot dogs.