Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your first car.

Your first car.

Everyone has a first car that became a part of them. A buddy of mine had a k car and the football thread about k car's got me thinking back to my formative years. Vehicles were very important to growing up.

My first was a 1980 F150 supercab extended box truck. My friends named it the battleship. We would go on "destructo" cruises and they started to bring popcorn "cause it felt like a movie". I puked on an ex girlfriend once in the back seat.
    I was rearend by a semi in winter, but since I filled the box with snow it only knocked a light cover loose (the semi was going slowly). We used the same snow as a cooler going to and from parties.

What was yÓurs?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1969 Chevy Caprice with the original hubcaps, fender skirts and small whitewalls. Got it from a towing yard for $250. It had vacumm powered hideaway light, all electric and hella chrome. I rolled it in a grape field when a front tire popped and I spun out. Years later i found out it was some kinda special edition and only 350 had been made.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    1986(I think that was the year) Renault Alliance
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

1969 Ford F150 with a 240 strait six and posi-track.
    C.H.U.D.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    1969 Chevy Caprice with the original hubcaps, fender skirts and small whitewalls. Got it by STEALING IT. It had vacumm powered hideaway light, all electric and hella chrome. I rolled it in a grape field when a front tire popped and I spun out. Years later i found out it was some kinda special edition and only 350 had been made.
    *FIXED

my bro & I got a 1962 covair for $350 in high school. The "Unsafe at any Speed" car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Try to tell me that half of these cars would not be amazing to fix up these days? My second car was a 72 camaro, bought for 600 sold it two days later for 750.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Try to tell me that half of these cars would not be amazing to fix up these days? My second car was a 72 camaro, bought for 600 sold it two days later for 750.
    Boy, is that the truth! I bought a used '67 Camaro at one time. Traded it in for little of nothing when I bought a newer car. I should have just stuck it in a shed. '67 was the first full model year for the Camaro. Mine was just the base model, but still a nice car. The guy who bought it totaled it just a few months later. Fortunately, he was not hurt, but my beloved Camaro went to the scrap yard.

By the way, my first car was a two horse Studebaker. I used a matched pair of Belgians.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    By the way, my first car was a two horse Studebaker. I used a matched pair of Belgians.
    Wow Patler, I didn't know you were already around when slavery was still accepted. You must be a Highlander of some kind.

My first car was a '98 Toyota Yaris Those old timers sure look nice, but I would never be able to pay for the gas those babies here.

Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    Those old timers sure look nice, but I would never be able to pay for the gas those babies here.
    Yet, back in the day when they were our rides, and gas was less than $.30/gallon, it really wasn't a big deal. As long as you had some money in your pocket, you could buy gas. When I was young, all gas stations had attendants, you didn't pump your own gas. It was not uncommon to go in and ask for a dollar's worth of gas. For that, you would get your oil checked and windows washed!

With a car full of guys, everyone would throw in the change from their pockets, and you could buy enough gas to run around for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    Wow Patler, I didn't know you were already around when slavery was still accepted. You must be a Highlander of some kind.
    American Standards? No, probably twistable too!
    Welsh Cobs? - No, just as bad as Belgians!
    Georgians? - Nope, that won't work either!

How about Clydesdales?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    '74 Ford LTD - silver with black top. Heiser Ford special.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Woody's first car:

American Standards? No, probably twistable too!
    Welsh Cobs? - No, just as bad as Belgians!
    Georgians? - Nope, that won't work either!

How about Clydesdales?
    Icelandics are known as hard workers, you know. Or you could try to impress the ladies and fix youself a couple of arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

my bro & I got a 1962 covair for $350 in high school. The "Unsafe at any Speed" car.
    In the 90's I saw one in California that had a license plate of 'UNSAFE'.

My first car was an 87 Hyundai Excel POS. Despite Upnorth's statement, this car did not become a part of me.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 11-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    1970 Chevy Impala. Was my great grandmothers but she drove it like 50 miles/yr and when she couldn't drive anymore she sold it to me for $1. Thing burned oil like a MF'er. Kept a case of oil in the trunk as when I'd drive the 40 miles to Milwaukee, it would have gone through a quart of oil.

All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

My first car was a 2000 Mustang V6 Automatic, Hunter Green. I miss that car.
    A few years later I fixed up a 1969 Chevelle. I put a 454 big block in it. I repainted it. It was red with black racing stripes and had black interior. I sold it last year when we had our first child.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    In the 90's I saw one in California that had a license plate of 'UNSAFE'.

My first car was an 87 Hyundai Excel POS. Despite Upnorth's statement, this car did not become a part of me.
    That just means you didn't crash it right. I learned to drive on a 1987 Camaro Berlinetta5458849912_45745a84ca.jpg that exploded, but my first car was a 1964 Beetle. I got it and then the front half of the engine blew, and then the back half blew and left me stranded on the freeway, and then I sold it and the U joint went a week later.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings