Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: packerrats by subscription

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If you like the site, but are unwilling to pay $5/year, you're an incredible skinflint. I accept your other reasons as legitimate for not liking aspects of the site or mistrusting the management, but seriously, are you really 'risking' $5? If you like other sites better, I totally understand. more power to you.
    I like and have read a lot of newspaper sites, but when they start asking for subscriptions (some are just $3.99/mo) I don't automatically pay it just because I "liked" them for a while.

I like this site.
    I don't necessarily like other sites "better".
    I don't trust this site.
    I probably trust other sites more right now.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I like and have read a lot of newspaper sites, but when they start asking for subscriptions (some are just $3.99/mo) I don't automatically pay it just because I "liked" them for a while.

What kind of argument is this? If you 'like' the site, it means you use it (if you're going to parse this, I'm finished with this). If you use it, it should be worth something to you. Certainly Packerrats is worth more to you than the first people in chain letter. That just sounded flat out stupid. $5 is nothing.

Plus, you are probably one of the people who could get paid something for a regular contribution.

Maybe Harlan could actually make a go of this site. But not with skinflints unwilling to give up $5.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

What kind of argument is this? If you 'like' the site, it means you use it (if you're going to parse this, I'm finished with this). If you use it, it should be worth something to you. Certainly Packerrats is worth more to you than the first people in chain letter. That just sounded flat out stupid. $5 is nothing.

Plus, you are probably one of the people who could get paid something for a regular contribution.

Maybe Harlan could actually make a go of this site. But not with skinflints unwilling to give up $5.
    What did I parse of yours? Your "warning" makes no sense to me.

Why is it so hard to understand that some things are of mild interest, but not so much that I would pay for it?

Why would I even be interested in writing articles when I don't even start threads here any more? I've learned my lesson on that, as well as a few other things. Even if I was interested in writing an article for pay, why should I believe it would actually happen? Would the check come from "Joe II"? (As I said, "fool me once....")

By the way, wasn't "Joe" investing in software, hit tracking and a bunch of things to take this site to a new level? Weren't there talks of contributions, advertising, selling t-shirts or some such nonsense under the illustrious new ownership? This all sounds vaguely familiar.

I dislike being taken advantage of even when there is no money involved. I give readily of my time, assets and money for many, many charitable things, yet I do not respond to a telephone solicitation of any type. I have an inherent mistrust for them as well as for any "pay" website. I am very careful about where and how I send personal information, so when a payment is involved I stay away if there is any nagging feeling of mistrust at all.

I suspect a new "sale" of the website is in the wind.......

To me it would be almost like sending the $1 bill to the first five names on the list included with a chain letter.
    Can you get me in on that deal?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

My joke has turned into a Festivus celebration. I'm going to pin nutz after the airing of grievances is through.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    My joke has turned into a Festivus celebration. I'm going to pin nutz after the airing of grievances is through.

Which is mostly what you hoped for and intended, isn't it?

right, it's my fault that mommy got drunk and hit daddy with an iron pan

What did I parse of yours? Your "warning" makes no sense to me.

Why is it so hard to understand that some things are of mild interest, but not so much that I would pay for it?

Why would I even be interested in writing articles when I don't even start threads here any more? I've learned my lesson on that, as well as a few other things. Even if I was interested in writing an article for pay, why should I believe it would actually happen? Would the check come from "Joe II"? (As I said, "fool me once....")

By the way, wasn't "Joe" investing in software, hit tracking and a bunch of things to take this site to a new level? Weren't there talks of contributions, advertising, selling t-shirts or some such nonsense under the illustrious new ownership? This all sounds vaguely familiar.

I dislike being taken advantage of even when there is no money involved. I give readily of my time, assets and money for many, many charitable things, yet I do not respond to a telephone solicitation of any type. I have an inherent mistrust for them as well as for any "pay" website. I am very careful about where and how I send personal information, so when a payment is involved I stay away if there is any nagging feeling of mistrust at all.

I suspect a new "sale" of the website is in the wind.......
    Not sure if this is directed at me, or madtown, or Joe, or whomever. But I'll respond.

The only reason that "Joe" came about was that Madtown was burned out, and didn't want me to take over, fearing a mass exodus that in retrospect probably wouldn't have happened. There was no scam to take your money. Or anything else.

I did have plans to bring some revenue to this site. But that takes several things, some that I could do, others that I needed help for. Compounding the difficulty with that, there is a sarcastic bent to the poster population here, with an "expert" mentality that would be too preoccupied with telling me how to do it right, that they'd forget to buy the tshirt. Tshirts were never a money making proposal, I just thought it'd be cool to find someone else at a home or away game by tshirt alone. My plans had them for sale at cost + shipping actually.

Anyhow, sorry you distrust me. That's OK with me, I guess, I'm now just a regular poster with a PM box that's full. (All my great intentions didn't work out so well) So, all those plans are down the drain, but FWIW, I was very interested in having you contribute to the site when I was in charge. I felt that your knowledge would've drawn more folks here, and that would've given the site an opportunity to grow, and you to have more points of view to read, and more knowledgeable debate partners to discuss issues with. Most of those folks are gone, I believe.

Cue some sarcastic mraynrand comment, or another tangent "discussion" by Harlan to create dissention. Par for the course.... (back to your regularly scheduled programming)

Joe, I had zero intention of creating dissention and was surprised anybody took things seriously. I understand people get angry over this and that, but didn't realize there were grudges lingering. Madtown doesn't owe anybody anything, not even openness. I appreciate his gift of the forum maintenance and forgive his many crimes against myself and human decency.

Does this mean you don't want my $5.00?

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    Not sure if this is directed at me, or madtown, or Joe, or whomever. But I'll respond.

The only reason that "Joe" came about was that Madtown was burned out, and didn't want me to take over, fearing a mass exodus that in retrospect probably wouldn't have happened. There was no scam to take your money. Or anything else.

I did have plans to bring some revenue to this site. But that takes several things, some that I could do, others that I needed help for. Compounding the difficulty with that, there is a sarcastic bent to the poster population here, with an "expert" mentality that would be too preoccupied with telling me how to do it right, that they'd forget to buy the tshirt. Tshirts were never a money making proposal, I just thought it'd be cool to find someone else at a home or away game by tshirt alone. My plans had them for sale at cost + shipping actually.

Anyhow, sorry you distrust me. That's OK with me, I guess, I'm now just a regular poster with a PM box that's full. (All my great intentions didn't work out so well) So, all those plans are down the drain, but FWIW, I was very interested in having you contribute to the site when I was in charge. I felt that your knowledge would've drawn more folks here, and that would've given the site an opportunity to grow, and you to have more points of view to read, and more knowledgeable debate partners to discuss issues with. Most of those folks are gone, I believe.

Cue some sarcastic mraynrand comment, or another tangent "discussion" by Harlan to create dissention. Par for the course.... (back to your regularly scheduled programming)
    Actually, my distrust is not directed at you, nor any one in particular. It is an overall quality that the site has earned, of which the "Joe" saga is just a very recognizable part.

I was willing to go along with the "joke" of this thread, and suggested the more credible fee of $19.95/mo as fair since, I wouldn't pay it anyway. However, when seriously accused of being a skinflint for not being willing to pay even $5/yr., I became serious in expressing my opinions.

Rest assured, it goes way beyond "Joe". I had mostly gotten past that and was still posting regularly, as I always had. For completely other reasons, I no longer do. I rarely if ever start a thread, haven't for a few months, and I limit myself to a single reply or two in the football threads, for the most part. My reasons for backing away from the Packer board are not "Joe" related at all, but do factor into why I would not pay to continue on this site. My new thoughts and opinions I use to start threads elsewhere. I still read here and comment only about things of interest not being discussed on other sites.

At Packerrats I find myself more interested in the ancillary boards right now, the Packer board not so much.

I was willing to go along with the "joke" of this thread
    sorry my "joke" was not more "funny"

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Does this mean you don't want my $5.00?
    it seems the plan is falling apart

sorry my "joke" was not more "funny"
    "it" is what "it" is.

it seems the plan is falling apart

Yes, but it sure exposed what some people think of this place. I'd give you five bucks. I guess I'm a cheap date. (Don't take that literally Harlan)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

well, I'm not going to let this setback spoil my christmas cheer. there will be more scams & schemes to work.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but it sure exposed what some people think of this place.
    Guess I would have to agree with that.

Patler - What can I say, wow, Im blown away. I guess I will just be totally open with you and hope you can feel me on this.

Let me start by saying I didnt have anything to do with this thread or its topic. I have zero intentions of charging to visit. If you didnt notice I dont even run ads. I have never asked for one cent even if I needed it and guess what I dont need it now. Part of what RG says is true, I was not up to the task of running the forum. You know that but what you dont know why. PackerRats, Retail, "Joe" or I have done nothing that has damaged or cost you anything other than your time which is your choice. If I didnt care about this place Im sure I could have dumped it off somehow. I was just at a time in my life when a family member was ill and my mind and time was elsewhere.

Retailguy was my friend still and someone I trusted enough to ask such a favor. Yeah what I did which was deceptive but really was it that big of a crime? At no point was this forum in any danger of not existing. I figured why not let the place have a different driver for a while. I never really did anything as "Joe" outside of a few things RG wasnt familiar with. RG was the one that handled the persona. We would talk about stuff on the phone some forum some personal. He is a good friend and a good guy. I truly did him wrong with all this and for that Im sorry. He is really the only person I owe an apology to in regard to all that mess.

If any issue is with me for not providing you the examples I said regarding your post I apologize. It was not a big deal to me but maybe it was to you. I meant nothing by it and I had just noticed things like words or grammar I had rarely seen in your post. You have always been a revered poster so it is disappointing that you no longer feel this place is worthy of your time. I wish you would reconsider but either way the show must go on and admission is always free.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RG - I am sorry man. I put you in a bad spot and was messed up to someone who did nothing to deserve it. I know there is a way we can work together but I cant let you deal with personnel things man. I dont care about making $$ I just want this place to become the best it can and I really want you to be part of it.

I enjoy making the sarcastic remark here and there. At times you need it, but that doesn't absolve me for being a jerk. Mostly you've been a great Packerrats member and are well-intentioned.

The 'bad' stuff about this site is far outweighed by the good and great stuff. That's why I said - and meant - that I would gladly pay $5. So sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    RG - I am sorry man. I put you in a bad spot and was messed up to someone who did nothing to deserve it. I know there is a way we can work together but I cant let you deal with personnel things man. I dont care about making $$ I just want this place to become the best it can and I really want you to be part of it.

(sigh). One day I'll learn to communicate around here. Funny thing, I post on a couple of other sites and don't have this much trouble communicating. It must be me. I keep joking about an "Outlaw" forum, but I really don't know why folks can't read what I write and interpret what I meant. I'm really clueless.

I'm not pissed at anyone. I don't care where this site goes. Honestly. If it grows, it grows. If it doesn't, it doesn't. What my earlier comment meant is that I'm clueless how to get this psycho group to band together to do ANYTHING, except maybe fight and argue. My plans are useless, and my input is really not wanted by a bunch of folks here. I'm OK, with that. Well, as "OK" as one can be with that.

No hard feelings and stop apologizing. What happened was my fault. My plans were not the direction that the membership wanted, so no one supported it. Tell us what you want, and let's do that. Or lets do nothing. I don't care any more. (I mean that for what it is, it isn't some kind of pouting shot....)

Apparently when you're a moderator, you don't have the same limits on PM inboxes. When you gave me upload rights for the photos I was going to post, it took away the moderator rights I had. Now I can't respond to your PM's but can still receive them. This software rocks, for the most part, but like anything it isn't perfect. The PM stuff really sucks and I'm too lazy to do anything with it. There are some PM's that I don't want to delete and most I don't give a shit about. But you've got to go through them one at a time, and I really don't care that much to deal with it. In the meantime, I'll try to remember to email you.