Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greg Williams - Bounty Audio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The NFL is also trying to lay down a firewall against lawsuits related to concussions and ill effects after player's career end.

The unfortunate part is that that researchers have made a determination that so far, the players most likely to suffer from the known effects of head trauma, are among the least likely to get involved in the spectacular hits downfield (or on the QB) that scream out concussion.

The bulk of the trauma that researchers have been able to document comes on the LOS, play after play, of lineman and backers running into people at close proximity. Its some of the mildest force on the field, but the repetitive nature may be the trigger later on.

If this research were to hold up, then looking at the rules of formation might be the way to go. And High Schools might regret outlawing the A-11 offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

DeAngelo Hall thinks injuries are fair game for a hit during the game. At least publicly, when discussing a rival. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-into-focus/

LeRoy Butler sees no slippery slope when coordinators used to say "cut of the head and the body dies" instead of "Steve Young has a broken fibula". http://www.jsonline.com/sports/walki...146559685.html

From the same JSO article, Chidi Ahanotu says thier defensive turnaround in Tampa occurred when Asst Coaches Marinelli, Edwards and Smith arrived with Dungy. Their motivational techniques changed the culture to one of "[e]xactly that swag. We were trained killers. We were foaming at the mouth. We're trying to get you, brother."

He also said:

Ahanotu wanted to injure players, sure. He wanted the other team's best players out of the game - "Whatever, a broken finger, his thumb, something. That's what we had to do. I'm trying to hurt guys." And several of his coaches used the same "take the head off the snake" battle cry Williams did.

But as Ahanotu's voice speeds up, he stops himself. There is a line. ACLs and concussions are too far. On five teams, he never heard a coach tell a player to go after someone's head, someone's knee.
    By the players own admission and actions, they are trying to hurt and send players out of the game with injuries. This behavior is acceptable. But according to the press and NFL, reading from the publicly available injury list can not be done in a locker room or by a coach. No one may consider this information (except DeAngelo Hall of course).

Goodell is treating a symptom here, not the cause.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-coach-again/

Liability concerns may prevent league from allowing Williams to coach again

Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-into-focus/

Williams’ remarks brings injury reports back into focus

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...game-speeches/

LeRoy Butler thinks there’s a fine line in pregame speeches

Posted by Josh Alper on April 8, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT

Typical of the NFL to find a scapegoat (Williams) in order not to have to confront the essentially brutal nature of the game. On the one hand, the NFL goes out of its way to emphasize the hyper-masculinity of the game, featuring "bone-jarring hits" and such during "highlights" from games, but on the other hand the NFL pretends there are clear, easily-observable boundaries.

They'd like to have it both ways. And to get to that end, they need scapegoats to stand in, like scapegoats do, for the real problems, which then can remain blissfully hidden as the NFL rakes in gajillions of dollars.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Typical of the NFL to find a scapegoat (Williams) in order not to have to confront the essentially brutal nature of the game. On the one hand, the NFL goes out of its way to emphasize the hyper-masculinity of the game, featuring "bone-jarring hits" and such during "highlights" from games, but on the other hand the NFL pretends there are clear, easily-observable boundaries.

They'd like to have it both ways. And to get to that end, they need scapegoats to stand in, like scapegoats do, for the real problems, which then can remain blissfully hidden as the NFL rakes in gajillions of dollars.
    Nope ! The word 'scapegoat' does NOT apply here.

Thinking of 'Greg Williams' and the word ... 'GOAT' ... does.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

While I believe that Williams got what he deserved, there's a kernal of truth to Fritz's point. The NFL has glorified this type of "bone-jarring" play for years and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. They are now going to have to against decades of promoting this type of play and some coaches and players are going to have to pay for it.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    While I believe that Williams got what he deserved, there's a kernal of truth to Fritz's point. The NFL has glorified this type of "bone-jarring" play for years and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. They are now going to have to against decades of promoting this type of play and some coaches and players are going to have to pay for it.
    The bone jarring plays are OK, they've just imposed some restrictions. The issue here is deliberate attempts at injury, with a bounty. The two are largely non-overlapping.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

There is a fine line between applying big hits and paying players extra coin for purposely injuring players. Going after ACL's and concussions can threaten players' careers. Players do get hurt in this game but it is sick to headhunt others. Gregg Williams crossed that line and will no doubt never coach again.

Throwing Red Flags All Over McCarthy's Lawn
    Fuck...Snake would hit anyone 4 enuff cash.
    Snake's Twitter comments would be LEGENDARY.........if I was ugly or gave a shit about Twitter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...were-released/

NFLPA knew about contents of Williams audio before tapes were released

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2012, 7:34 AM EDT

"Although the fact that Fujita knew about the contents of the tape will spark speculation that Fujita was the so-called “mediator” who ultimately gave Pamphilon the green light to release the audio over the objections of former Saints special-teamer Steve Gleason,

Mortensen explains that the NFLPA was ..... “somewhat disappointed” by the fact that the tapes were released, since the fact that the league didn’t know about the tape gave the union a strategic advantage in connection with the efforts to minimize or prevent player suspensions." FR. Story

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...aking-demands/

Sean Pamphilon should tread lightly when making demands

Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...illiams-tapes/

GOODELL WON'T SUBMIT TO INTERVIEW TO GET Greg WILLIAMS TAPES.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006 View Post
    Fuck...Snake would hit anyone 4 enuff cash.
    Your own mudder, Snakey?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Throwing Red Flags All Over McCarthy's Lawn
    Your own mudder, Snakey?
    How bout Drew? She's growing on me Fritz.

The filmmaker is overplaying his hand. He's gotten enough pub for his movie, just let it go buddy.