Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Greg Williams - Bounty Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Nah. If Michael Vick can be rehabilitated, so can Gregg Williams. Let him look for a job after a year on the outside looking in. Let some team hire him as a linebackers coach, and he can start anew. I expect he will see the error of his ways after such a thorough public shaming. His behavior was indefensible and has embarassed himself and his family.
    Dam ! There now...I'm toast.

I cannot help but 'soften'... seeing my long lost brother post such compassion. Are you going to check out Fred Couples at the MASTERS today?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The NFL has been this way for a long time. Like Smeefers said, it's not all too uncommon for coaches to promote brutality. The Packers have been giving game balls for the big hit of the day for a long time.

The difference now is the NFL wants an 18 game season and they're doing everything they can to show players it's going to be a safer league and that they can handle the extra games. I truly believe the NFL is cracking down on brutality so they can get more games and more money.

Clay Matthews is our most brutal player and he's also our favorite defensive player in a long time. Whether they say it out loud or not, the great defensive players play to destroy the opponent.

Greg Williams would not be in trouble 10 years ago. He'd be one of the most highly sought after defensive coaches in the game. Today, with the NFL money hungry for extra games, it's a travesty.

I'm softening up in my old age. I'm not as big of a fan of the brutality as I was, but if there comes a day when it's too much for me, I'm not going to blame football. I'll find another sport to follow.

Gladiator sports have been going on for a long, long time. Unfortunately a lot of people like it and a lot of people like to do it. It is what it is.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Comments from some former Packers on the Williams situation. Williams is not getting support.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146536215.html

DT Gilbert Brown (Packers 1993-99, 2001-03) --- “Obviously our guys were not that way. We had guys who tried to motivate in a positive way. In the heat of the battle, in the heat of conversation, when they’re trying to motivate, it was nothing compared to what this guy was doing. …There never was a bounty or something trying to hurt you. Our terminology was every time the quarterback’s standing there, you’re going to hit him. Let him know that you’re there. You have to get hits on the quarterback but we never talked about taking out his ACL or taking heads off. Our job was just to get hits on the quarterback.”

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Are you going to check out Fred Couples at the MASTERS today?
    I'm not much of a tennis fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    Clay Matthews is our most brutal player and he's also our favorite defensive player in a long time.
    I'd have to with Eric Walden, particularly playing in space. Brutal.

The NFL is also trying to lay down a firewall against lawsuits related to concussions and ill effects after player's career end.

The unfortunate part is that that researchers have made a determination that so far, the players most likely to suffer from the known effects of head trauma, are among the least likely to get involved in the spectacular hits downfield (or on the QB) that scream out concussion.

The bulk of the trauma that researchers have been able to document comes on the LOS, play after play, of lineman and backers running into people at close proximity. Its some of the mildest force on the field, but the repetitive nature may be the trigger later on.

If this research were to hold up, then looking at the rules of formation might be the way to go. And High Schools might regret outlawing the A-11 offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I'm not much of a tennis fan.
    Ohh Boy !

Antway it was too good... 'the drama' and Bubba Watson taking the Green Jacket.

In tennis the Champs take home crystal serving platters. Golf 'Jackets' Tennis 'serving platters'.

Harlan? Are you a fan of: Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that robbing someones house is not a scumbag move and wrong?
    Are you saying someone who advertises that their stuff is unguarded and there for the taking is responsible behavior? My problem is that there's a general feeling out there that there's only one side responsible for these actions. I agree that it's a scumbag move, but I disagree with the premise that going after injured players is unexpected or wrong. Most people speed. It's almost accepted here in Wisconsin that you can go 5 miles over the limit without getting pulled over. Everyone also knows that the faster you drive, the more likely accidents are. The difference between going 25 and 30 can be the difference between clipping a dude who walks out between a pair of cars and not. Sure, it's a scumbag move to speed in a residential neighborhood, but it's also the dude who walks out from between some cars' fault as well.

My problem is the bounty, the cash portion involved. That's like driving down the side walk, swerving to hit specific pedestrians.

DeAngelo Hall thinks injuries are fair game for a hit during the game. At least publicly, when discussing a rival. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-into-focus/

LeRoy Butler sees no slippery slope when coordinators used to say "cut of the head and the body dies" instead of "Steve Young has a broken fibula". http://www.jsonline.com/sports/walki...146559685.html

From the same JSO article, Chidi Ahanotu says thier defensive turnaround in Tampa occurred when Asst Coaches Marinelli, Edwards and Smith arrived with Dungy. Their motivational techniques changed the culture to one of "[e]xactly that swag. We were trained killers. We were foaming at the mouth. We're trying to get you, brother."

He also said:

Ahanotu wanted to injure players, sure. He wanted the other team's best players out of the game - "Whatever, a broken finger, his thumb, something. That's what we had to do. I'm trying to hurt guys." And several of his coaches used the same "take the head off the snake" battle cry Williams did.

But as Ahanotu's voice speeds up, he stops himself. There is a line. ACLs and concussions are too far. On five teams, he never heard a coach tell a player to go after someone's head, someone's knee.
    By the players own admission and actions, they are trying to hurt and send players out of the game with injuries. This behavior is acceptable. But according to the press and NFL, reading from the publicly available injury list can not be done in a locker room or by a coach. No one may consider this information (except DeAngelo Hall of course).

Goodell is treating a symptom here, not the cause.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-coach-again/

Liability concerns may prevent league from allowing Williams to coach again

Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-into-focus/

Williams’ remarks brings injury reports back into focus

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...game-speeches/

LeRoy Butler thinks there’s a fine line in pregame speeches

Posted by Josh Alper on April 8, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT

Typical of the NFL to find a scapegoat (Williams) in order not to have to confront the essentially brutal nature of the game. On the one hand, the NFL goes out of its way to emphasize the hyper-masculinity of the game, featuring "bone-jarring hits" and such during "highlights" from games, but on the other hand the NFL pretends there are clear, easily-observable boundaries.

They'd like to have it both ways. And to get to that end, they need scapegoats to stand in, like scapegoats do, for the real problems, which then can remain blissfully hidden as the NFL rakes in gajillions of dollars.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

There is a fine line between applying big hits and paying players extra coin for purposely injuring players. Going after ACL's and concussions can threaten players' careers. Players do get hurt in this game but it is sick to headhunt others. Gregg Williams crossed that line and will no doubt never coach again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    Are you saying someone who advertises that their stuff is unguarded and there for the taking is responsible behavior?
    No.

My problem is that there's a general feeling out there that there's only one side responsible for these actions. I agree that it's a scumbag move, but I disagree with the premise that going after injured players is unexpected or wrong.
    So scumbag moves are not wrong? I think you're splitting hairs pretty damn thin. I said nothing about it being unexpected.

Most people speed. It's almost accepted here in Wisconsin that you can go 5 miles over the limit without getting pulled over. Everyone also knows that the faster you drive, the more likely accidents are. The difference between going 25 and 30 can be the difference between clipping a dude who walks out between a pair of cars and not. Sure, it's a scumbag move to speed in a residential neighborhood, but it's also the dude who walks out from between some cars' fault as well.
    I don't really equate driving 5 miles over the speed limit to intentionally trying to injure someone. Driving 5 miles over the speed limit might increase likelihood of accidents, but they are still accidents, not intentional acts. Now if your driving instructor taught you to swerve to hit pedestrians, your analogy might be a little closer.

End of the day, I don't think a coach should be excused for teaching players to injure other players. I don't give a damn if the opposing player is somewhat injured. It is wrong in, my opinion. You disagree. I think your an unethical bastard for disagreeing, but that's just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Typical of the NFL to find a scapegoat (Williams) in order not to have to confront the essentially brutal nature of the game. On the one hand, the NFL goes out of its way to emphasize the hyper-masculinity of the game, featuring "bone-jarring hits" and such during "highlights" from games, but on the other hand the NFL pretends there are clear, easily-observable boundaries.

They'd like to have it both ways. And to get to that end, they need scapegoats to stand in, like scapegoats do, for the real problems, which then can remain blissfully hidden as the NFL rakes in gajillions of dollars.
    Nope ! The word 'scapegoat' does NOT apply here.

Thinking of 'Greg Williams' and the word ... 'GOAT' ... does.

No.

So scumbag moves are not wrong? I think you're splitting hairs pretty damn thin. I said nothing about it being unexpected.

I don't really equate driving 5 miles over the speed limit to intentionally trying to injure someone. Driving 5 miles over the speed limit might increase likelihood of accidents, but they are still accidents, not intentional acts. Now if your driving instructor taught you to swerve to hit pedestrians, your analogy might be a little closer.

End of the day, I don't think a coach should be excused for teaching players to injure other players. I don't give a damn if the opposing player is somewhat injured. It is wrong in, my opinion. You disagree. I think your an unethical bastard for disagreeing, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Whoa ! Calm down men. It's being taken care of ..... PROPERLY.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Whoa ! Calm down men. It's being taken care of ..... PROPERLY.
    I am calm. Lighten up Francis.

I am calm. Lighten up Francis.
    Your going on the list Winger.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

While I believe that Williams got what he deserved, there's a kernal of truth to Fritz's point. The NFL has glorified this type of "bone-jarring" play for years and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. They are now going to have to against decades of promoting this type of play and some coaches and players are going to have to pay for it.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!