Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shea McClellin

Shea McClellin

this is a guy that is starting to pop up in the first round of a few mock drafts i've seen lately. he sounds like a perfect TT draft pick

from draft ace http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/03/...outing-report/

Shea McClellin OLB Boise State #92
    Ht: 6’3″ Wt: 260

Strengths: Prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. High energy, high effort player. Experience lining up at end and linebacker. Reliable wrap-up tackler. Impressive agility for a guy his size. Has the speed to make plays in pursuit. Strong pass rusher off the edge; has the speed to blow past slower offensive tackles, especially when lining up with his hand off the ground. Does a nice job fighting through traffic when blitzing inside. Strong enough to shed blocks fairly consistently. Weaknesses

:
    Inconsistent explosion of the snap; seems to guess at the snap count a lot, occasionally explodes out of his stance but other times will be the step behind the rest of the linemen. Overaggressive in pursuit; gives a great effort, but often inefficient with the angles he takes which results in missed opportunities. Needs to do a better job keeping his eyes on the quarterback when blitzes; often misses opportunities due to his inability to adjust. Missed time with a leg injury as a freshman. Comments

:
    McClellin may not be a great fit for every defense, but he’s a perfect fit at outside linebacker a 3-4 system. At this stage of his career, he’s overaggressive and inconsistent but he possesses all the physical tools necessary to develop into a quality starter.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...CCLELIN...INFO Already have a McClellin thread, but what the heck!

I'm starting to wonder if TT can trade down and still get him in the 2nd. Pats pick at 31 and he's be a good fit for them. I'd be okay with him being TT's pick at 28, but people shouldn't expect him to be Clay 2.0

I'd be pissed if we drafted this guy with our first pick, sorry but he didn't do much in college playing against shitty schools. I'm hoping Upshaw from Alabama drops down to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I'd be pissed if we drafted this guy with our first pick, sorry but he didn't do much in college playing against shitty schools. I'm hoping Upshaw from Alabama drops down to us.
    I felt that way too, earlier. Recently, I'm not so sure about Upshaw. An awful lot of luke-warm comments from his pro-day, including that he was significantly over his expected weight, and then ran poorly. I'm afraid he might wind up being one of those great college players who just doesn't have a position in the pros.

Many years there are a few guys I hope are available when the Packers pick, even if they don't take one. At least they were options. Right now there aren't any for me in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...CCLELIN...INFO Already have a McClellin thread, but what the heck!
    of course that no talent assclown already started a thread about him

hell for all i know, that's where i first heard of the guy

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    this is a guy that is starting to pop up in the first round of a few mock drafts i've seen lately. he sounds like a perfect TT draft pick

from draft ace http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/03/...outing-report/

Shea McClellin OLB Boise State #92
    Ht: 6’3″ Wt: 260

Strengths: Prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. High energy, high effort player. Experience lining up at end and linebacker. Reliable wrap-up tackler. Impressive agility for a guy his size. Has the speed to make plays in pursuit. Strong pass rusher off the edge; has the speed to blow past slower offensive tackles, especially when lining up with his hand off the ground. Does a nice job fighting through traffic when blitzing inside. Strong enough to shed blocks fairly consistently. Weaknesses

:
    Inconsistent explosion of the snap; seems to guess at the snap count a lot, occasionally explodes out of his stance but other times will be the step behind the rest of the linemen. Overaggressive in pursuit; gives a great effort, but often inefficient with the angles he takes which results in missed opportunities. Needs to do a better job keeping his eyes on the quarterback when blitzes; often misses opportunities due to his inability to adjust. Missed time with a leg injury as a freshman. Comments

:
    McClellin may not be a great fit for every defense, but he’s a perfect fit at outside linebacker a 3-4 system. At this stage of his career, he’s overaggressive and inconsistent but he possesses all the physical tools necessary to develop into a quality starter.
    McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
    Weight 260 263
    40 4.63 4.65
    Bench 19 30
    Vertical 31.5 30.5
    Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
    3-Cone 7.07 7.11
    Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYD

16 45 31 14 6.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 8 0

Would you trade #28 for Reed? TT passed on him at 32 last year. On the hoof they appear to be similar athletes. On film McClellin looks more comfortable in space and in pass drops. I'd prefer to see him in the 35-45 range but wouldn't be too big a reach at 28. He'd fill a need but at 28 I don't know if he'd be BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley Face View Post
    McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
    Weight 260 263
    40 4.63 4.65
    Bench 19 30
    Vertical 31.5 30.5
    Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
    3-Cone 7.07 7.11
    Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYD

16 45 31 14 6.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 8 0

Would you trade #28 for Reed? TT passed on him at 32 last year. On the hoof they appear to be similar athletes. On film McClellin looks more comfortable in space and in pass drops. I'd prefer to see him in the 35-45 range but wouldn't be too big a reach at 28. He'd fill a need but at 28 I don't know if he'd be BPA.
    Sorry the spacing of my post is all funky.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley Face View Post
    Code:
    		McClellin	Brooks Reed

Height		6-3 3/8		6-3
    Weight		260		263
    40		4.63		4.65
    Bench		19		30
    Vertical	31.5		30.5
    Broad Jump	9'08"		9'05"
    3-Cone		7.07		7.11
    Arms		32 3/4		32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

GP	TACK	SOLO	AST	SACK	FF	FR	YDS	INT	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	PD	STF	STFYD

16	45	31	14	6.0	0	2	0	0	0	0	0	0	3	1	8
    Fixed
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Fixed

How do you do that?
    I need to know how to post stats.

I actually think McClellin is a better version of Brooks Reed. I wouldn't be super-pumped if we took him at #28, but I wouldn't be disappointed either. It's the sort of safe/productive pick that would be a good option at the other OLB spot, since we've already got "that guy" at the other OLB spot.

The thing to keep in mind about McClellin is that they played him *everywhere* at Boise: DT, DE, OLB, ILB and he didn't really have the time to master any specific craft like he'll be able to in the NFL, and I think he's a really good fit with KG coaching him up.

Really the only deficient area of his game can be pinned to the fact that Boise really doesn't have a very good weight-training program, and it shows on pretty much all of their guys.
    </delurk>

Friend of mine lives in Houson....said tonight on his ride home on their sports show, Houston officials discussed GB has talked to the, about swapping picks to ensure New England doesn't take Shea ahead of them. IF true, Thompson would be pissed to know word was leaked.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    Friend of mine lives in Houson....said tonight on his ride home on their sports show, Houston officials discussed GB has talked to the, about swapping picks to ensure New England doesn't take Shea ahead of them. IF true, Thompson would be pissed to know word was leaked.
    If this is true, the points chart suggests the trade would be something like

#28 (660) + #123 (49) for #26 (700) with maybe 9 points of late round picks thrown in to make the math work out (Green Bay and Houston swap picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th or something.)

That would be fine, since we've got three picks in the fourth round anyway.
    Last edited by Lurker64; 04-13-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    </delurk>

Ah, Draft time! This is where zeros can be heros in a matter of weeks, days, sometimes even as fast as minutes.

Gotta love when a player comes from just about nowhere and sky rockets up the draft boards.

I'll admit, I didn't have McClellin on my radar two weeks ago, but now, I'll be upset if we don't get this guy. I don't care, nor do I really have any clue as to where he will go in the draft, but I want this guy in Green and Gold.

Ah, Draft time!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    How do you do that?
    I need to know how to post stats.
    In the advanced reply the "#" button is the 3rd from the right just above the text box. For some reason when you highlight the numbers and put the "code" tags around the numbers, they format better.

So where this crappy and hard to read

ht lbs speed
    5'3" 156 4.6

If you wrap it in the code tags, it is a lot easier to read.

Code:
    ht   lbs speed
    5'3" 156 4.6

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    Well that pretty much guarantees that we will not be picking this guy, you think Ted is going to let info like that get out.

I started watching his games. At first, I didn't love him. He doesn't explode off the screen or anything. The more I watched though, the more I liked him.

He's a very, very smart player. He does a great job setting the edge, forcing runners inside, and he does it without getting tied up. Once the runner commits back inside, McClellin has a way about his game where the blocker just can't get their hands on him and McClellin turns it inside to make big play after big play in the run game. As a pass rusher, he's more clever than purely dominant, but boy oh boy is he clever. On 3rd down, the guys blocking him look lost. He gets the blocking scheme to commit, then pulls some kind of trick on them. His stunts and delays are a thing of beauty.

I'm a big fan of how well he stays home, yet how well he makes plays while doing it.

I put McClellin over Upshaw because he's a far more natural player. He hides his intentions really well, plays within the defense really well, handles blockers really well, takes great angles. . . . He'd be a beautiful fit in our defense. He's the type of player who can confuse the shit out of the opposition. He'll be a real reliable 1st and 2nd down player and a friggin nightmare on 3rd down. Blockers are just lost with this guy.

He'll get engulfed at times by stud NFL OT's, all OLBs do, but he can hunker down and whether or not he can beat that blocker to make that many big plays in the run game, he always has his edge locked down before he does anything else and he'll funnel it inside.

Put me in the McClellin camp. He's sneaky good. Jennings had that sneaky good way about him. I think McClellin does too. Some guys just know what they're doing and how to hide what they're doing from the guy across from them.

He looks a lot like a Patriot type of defender to me. He'd look great in Green and Yellow too.

Fuckin stud. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 04-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    of course that no talent assclown already started a thread about him

hell for all i know, that's where i first heard of the guy
    Frickin wannabe..........lol......just consider me your Hoody Genius )

of course now that you and I endorse the same player we are absolutely SCREWED
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Call me old fashioned though, but I'd prefer a stud DE over a stud OLB any day of the week. Problem is, the stud DL go like hot cakes in the top 15 picks. You can nab a stud OLB in the end of the first round.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    How many stud DE's are their in the NFL ? You honestly can't count too many. The miss ratio is incredibly high in the draft.

Lots of stud OLB's though and one will come between pick 28 and 40. You might get the 6th or 7th DL or the 2nd best OLB.

In Green Bay's Defense I don't think the DE is a shining star. The OLB's can be though.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Well that pretty much guarantees that we will not be picking this guy, you think Ted is going to let info like that get out.
    It's also possible that this is just "reasonable speculation" not based on a leak or anything, and since this trade will be easy to consummate based on the math (the difference between #28 and #26 is GB's fourth round pick less nine points) that if it makes sense, then Ted can pull the trigger.

I don't think this sort of thing will happen before the draft, since it's entirely possible there are three players Ted loves on the board at #26, so he'll let Houston take one, New England take the other, and whichever third player is there he still loves, but it wouldn't be surprising if they discussed it.
    </delurk>