Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shea McClellin

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I felt that way too, earlier. Recently, I'm not so sure about Upshaw. An awful lot of luke-warm comments from his pro-day, including that he was significantly over his expected weight, and then ran poorly. I'm afraid he might wind up being one of those great college players who just doesn't have a position in the pros.

Many years there are a few guys I hope are available when the Packers pick, even if they don't take one. At least they were options. Right now there aren't any for me in this draft.
    Given OUR needs this draft is no picnik.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    How do you do that?
    I need to know how to post stats.
    Yes ! Without alot of these:

** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I'm sorry but with the level of competition this guy played against last season he should have had more than 7 sacks especially with the talent he was surrounded with at Boise State. If we trade down to the 2nd round and pick him I wouldn't mind but this guy is just not worth a 1st round pick IMHO. Perry on the other hand has been compared to Steelers OLB Lamar Woodley and has put up better combine numbers than DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller. He was also the Pac-10 defensive player of the year with 9.5 sacks. I know McClellin is this years fan favorite like Brooks Reed last year but the simple fact of the matter they are nothing alike.
    and i suppose if the guy had a little better tan you would be calling him a great choice

No one else concerned with his 19 bench reps?
    Boise's weight training program is terrible. Everybody who comes out of that program needs work in the weight room, but the flip side is that is when a Boise guy disappoints on the bench it's less because the kid's just weak, and more because BSU doesn't emphasize that and the latter is fixable whereas the former is not.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and i suppose if the guy had a little better tan you would be calling him a great choice
    No I would not but I would bet he wouldn't be such a fan favorite though.

Why is that? and why would Shea McClellin fit in a 3-4?
    At Boise State McClellin played four positions: DE, OLB, ILB, and DT. He had a ton of responsibilities and played extensively on his feet. Perry is a guy who pretty much exclusively went up field and got after the QB. McClellin held the point, handled outside contain, dropped into coverage, and rushed the passer extensively. You can't just look at stats when you're comparing the two guys.

Though, my objection to Perry is largely that I don't think he *can* do the things that I've already seen McClellin do effectively (e.g. drop into coverage.)

Perry's great if you want a guy who can get after the passer and you don't ask him to do anything else. We're not looking for that guy. Perry's a 4-3 end exclusively IMO, unless you're a 3-4 team who wants to make an exception for an OLB who almost never drops into coverage (like Ware in Dallas). But the thing is, if we were going to have one of our OLBs go on every play, it would be Matthews not "the guy opposite Matthews." One of the two OLBs has coverage responsibilities on virtually every play. So Perry actually makes Matthews less effective as a pass rusher, whereas McClellin does not.

There's also the little issue that Perry said at the combine that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the Packers' board for that reason.
    </delurk>

No I would not but I would bet he wouldn't be such a fan favorite though.
    michael brockers also did 19 reps. to me thats much more of a worry then an OLB that does the same amount

clay did 23, that isn't that much better. now if the guy only did 4 or 5 reps, then i would be worried, but 19? its not all world mr. olympic, but it isn't horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    At Boise State McClellin played four positions: DE, OLB, ILB, and DT. He had a ton of responsibilities and played extensively on his feet. Perry is a guy who pretty much exclusively went up field and got after the QB. McClellin held the point, handled outside contain, dropped into coverage, and rushed the passer extensively. You can't just look at stats when you're comparing the two guys.

Though, my objection to Perry is largely that I don't think he *can* do the things that I've already seen McClellin do effectively (e.g. drop into coverage.)

Perry's great if you want a guy who can get after the passer and you don't ask him to do anything else. We're not looking for that guy. Perry's a 4-3 end exclusively IMO, unless you're a 3-4 team who wants to make an exception for an OLB who almost never drops into coverage (like Ware in Dallas). But the thing is, if we were going to have one of our OLBs go on every play, it would be Matthews not "the guy opposite Matthews." One of the two OLBs has coverage responsibilities on virtually every play. So Perry actually makes Matthews less effective as a pass rusher, whereas McClellin does not.

There's also the little issue that Perry said at the combine that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the Packers' board for that reason.
    I disagree but like I said earlier who really knows until they step out on the field. Your completely dismissing Perry's athletic ability and he dropped into zone coverage at USC as well. You look at the Steelers defense who I believe have the best pass rushing defense in the league. Both their OLBs Harrison and Woodley aren't that great at coverage either but they get pressure on the QB. McClellin did have a lot of responsibilities at Boise St but did not dominate against lesser talent. I'm not saying that guy isn't a good player or that he will fail in the NFL but if I had to choose between the two I would rather have Perry. I believe Perry will be taken before our pick anyway so maybe we will end up with McClellin.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 04-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.

i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft, and it sounds like he has more than enough athletic ability to be able to transition to a 3-4 olb

i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft...
    IMO, there's nobody who has higher upside in this draft as a pass rusher than Mercilus, you just have to have a lot of confidence in your coaching staff in order to pick him high. But he's got JPP upside.
    </delurk>

I'd take either Shea or Perry...I also think Perry is the more likely of the two to be drafted first (and before us). I think Greene would be able to work some magic with either of those kids.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft, and it sounds like he has more than enough athletic ability to be able to transition to a 3-4 olb
    I believe Nick Perry can play 3-4 defense from what i read. I'll bet that he goes off the board before our pick and certainly before Shea McClellin. I like Nick Perry's Strength. i like Shea McClellin's upside but I think he's getting alot of media hype to move him up the board.

If TT had to pick between NP and SM who would he pick?

We won't know as Nick Perry will not slip past the NE Patriots, if he falls that far.

I'm not sure that Shea McClellin isn't a reach but if TT picks him there will be alot of very happy Packer fans. That's moot as Ted Thompson doesn't think in those terms as i observe him.

Shea McClellin would be a populat pick. At #28 mmmm ...... NOT feeling that yet.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I like the Brooks Reed comparison, same type of athlete and player. I'd pass on him for the same reason I didn't want Reed last year. Lacked production, not a first round caliber of athlete for the position either. Top-notch motor isn't enough for me, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Bruce Irvin who can be as good as he wants rather than a guy like McClellin who can't.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I like the Brooks Reed comparison, same type of athlete and player. I'd pass on him for the same reason I didn't want Reed last year. Lacked production, not a first round caliber of athlete for the position either. Top-notch motor isn't enough for me, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Bruce Irvin who can be as good as he wants rather than a guy like McClellin who can't.

I'll take a Brooks Reed or Conner Barwin type player any day as my #2 OLB over a guy who most project to be a situational pass rusher....one who could be an excellent one...but whose versatility seems very minimized
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'll take a Brooks Reed or Conner Barwin type player any day as my #2 OLB over a guy who most project to be a situational pass rusher....one who could be an excellent one...but whose versatility seems very minimized
    Conner Barwin is not the same type of player as Brooks Reed. Barwin is among the most physically gifted athletes in all of football. The only reason he wasn't a first round pick was because he was a converted TE with very little experience.

Blog Entries
    Conner Barwin is not the same type of player as Brooks Reed. Barwin is among the most physically gifted athletes in all of football. The only reason he wasn't a first round pick was because he was a converted TE with very little experience.

It seems like nearly all of the mock's lately have us taking Merciles, Upshaw, Branch, .Perry or Mcclelin.

In the end that probably means we'll take Peter Konz, the C from Wisconsin

I'd honestly be happy with any of the above if they use the 2nd round pick on a DL like Crick or Wolfe.

I'm also fine with Bruce Irvin as long as our scouts don't project him to be a one trick pass rushing pony

Add Russell Wilson at the end of round four and the rest would be icing on the cake.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

This is the least of followed the draft in a long time.

The guys I've watched. . . . .

I don't like Perry or Reyes. I especially don't like Perry.

I do like McClellin A LOT. I like Crick and Wolfe a lot too.

McClellin is a very safe bet at OLB. I can't imagine him being anything but damn good. Every play I watched (and it wasn't just highlights) he was in his spot and made plays from his spot without gambling by getting out of position. He sets up the guys blocking him masterfully. He's not just a sack guy. He's an everything guy. And he's a big guy. You could play a smaller DE in front of him, like Crick or Wolfe. Double your pleasure. Two guys on the right side who can get after it and still play the run on that side.

The Pickett/Matthews combo is nice on the left side. The run stopper and the pass rusher. . . . Together, they can do it all. The other side, if you have a better pass rusher DE and a guy like McClellin behind him. . . . That's another nice combo. And come 3rd down, McClellin is a guy you can do a lot of things with. He masks what he's doing very well. He's a guy who will stunt, delay and rush straight up. He brings a lot to the table. He's my favorite of the OLB prospects. . . . I said it earlier, but over and over, the pass protection ended up confused by him. He ran a lot of deception type blitzes and was great at it. His timing, the way he sets things up. . . He has a special knack.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 04-15-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Any of these defensive kids will be an upgrade over some of the guys we had to send out there last season...

you deo NOT go for Bruce Irvin at #28. That #28 pick is tough to assess doing a MOCK. It's looking more and more like TT might have to go to the trenches pick. Go either LT ie Mike Adams if he falls to him or DT and Jerel Worthy. Maybe TT goes RB andpicks LaMar Miller fr. Miami.

If TT elects to select one of those and pass's on 'a falling CB Janoris Jenkins' (please do) at Pick #28. Then he's almost 'forced to trade up' from his second round pick at #59 if he likes ** OLB's Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis or OLB/DE Shea McClellin or DT's Brandon Thompson and Kendall Reyes might have his eye.

He might be all over SS Harrison Smith; but as with these mentioned prospects need to trade up 'alot' to secure him.

Any of these above prospects will cost TT his 3rd and 4th round picks and the #59 pick.

As I study it...** one of these prospects may fall to TT; and one of these fellas should be available if he sits on Pick #59:

DE Chandler Jones or DT Alameda Ta'amu or CB Jamell Fleming.

OT's Zebrie Sanders or Michael Schwartz or Bobbie Masse

FS Markele Martin

GO Ted Thompson !

GO PACKERS !

Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-16-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    you deo NOT go for Bruce Irvin at #28. That #28 pick is tough to assess doing a MOCK. It's looking more and more like TT might have to go to the trenches pick. Go either LT ie Mike Adams if he falls to him or DT and Jerel Worthy. Maybe TT goes RB andpicks LaMar Miller fr. Miami.

If TT elects to select one of those and pass's on 'a falling CB Janoris Jenkins' (please do) at Pick #28. Then he's almost 'forced to trade up' from his second round pick at #59 if he likes ** OLB's Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis or OLB/DE Shea McClellin or DT's Brandon Thompson and Kendall Reyes might have his eye.

He might be all over SS Harrison Smith; but as with these mentioned prospects need to trade up 'alot' to secure him.

Any of these above prospects will cost TT his 3rd and 4th round picks and the #59 pick.

As I study it...** one of these prospects may fall to TT; and one of these fellas should be available if he sits on Pick #59:

DE Chandler Jones or DT Alameda Ta'amu or CB Jamell Fleming.

OT's Zebrie Sanders or Michael Schwartz or Bobbie Masse

FS Markele Martin

GO Ted Thompson !

GO PACKERS !

No Irvin at 28 is a reach. But I like Irvin at 60 more than McClellin at 28.

I like Bobby Wagner a lot more than McClellin too for us.