Thread: Did you hear Larry McCarren's pregame comment?

Did you hear Larry McCarren's pregame comment?

Talking about Moll, McCarren said something like:

"People don't realize this, but as you move inward along the offensive line, the I.Q. goes up. Moll was a tight end, he moved in to tackle, and now in to guard, so he must be pretty smart!"

I cracked up at that comment, coming from McCarren, a long time center!

It's true. There is alot to digest inside. But yeah, it's funny that McCarren said that considering where he came from. He knows that he wasn't too physically gifted either. I think McCarren has a reasonable self image and while that may have seemed boastfull, it was a true statement.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

It was the TV pregame show, and from the look on his face you could tell he was kidding. Who knows, there might have been an ex-tackle standing off camera!

The Center has to be bright and have strong leadership skills.

I'd also expect that tackles and guards are not the dullest utensils in the drawer.

People on the OL generally, must be bright and very hard working. A huge resonsibility, they have.

PACKERS FAITH !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    I've really come to like McCarren as an announcer. At first, I was put off by what I perceived as the big dumb rockhead from up nort' schtick, but I think he's a bright guy, doesn't take himself too seriously, and has some pretty good insights.

I did see the pre-game comment and busted up. My old man was a guard in college, so he agreed big time.

But, you know, there's something to it. WRs are supposed to score the lowest as a group on the Wunderlick, and OL the highest, though I haven't seen a break down by OTs, OGs, and OCs.

Re: Did you hear Larry McCarren's pregame comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Talking about Moll, McCarren said something like:

"People don't realize this, but as you move inward along the offensive line, the I.Q. goes up. Moll was a tight end, he moved in to tackle, and now in to guard, so he must be pretty smart!"

I cracked up at that comment, coming from McCarren, a long time center!
    spoken like a true former center lol

BOMNF!

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    I've really come to like McCarren as an announcer. At first, I was put off by what I perceived as the big dumb rockhead from up nort' schtick, but I think he's a bright guy, doesn't take himself too seriously, and has some pretty good insights.

I did see the pre-game comment and busted up. My old man was a guard in college, so he agreed big time.

But, you know, there's something to it. WRs are supposed to score the lowest as a group on the Wunderlick, and OL the highest, though I haven't seen a break down by OTs, OGs, and OCs.
    We'll try to get that for you soon Noodle.

RIGHT HERE and exclusively - ON PACKERRATS.

Patler eats that stuff up.

GO PACKERS ! PACKER FAN FAITH in 2006 !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    BOMNF!
    Alright, Tarlem!, or someone please help...

What in God's name does this stand for?

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    I have not seen the stats for 2006 but for 2005 the position with the highest average Wonderlic score at the Combine was Center.

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    BOMNF!
    Alright, Tarlem!, or someone please help...

What in God's name does this stand for?
    Beer Out My Nose Funny, I believe.
    </delurk>

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez
    I have not seen the stats for 2006 but for 2005 the position with the highest average Wonderlic score at the Combine was Center.
    I remember the QB for the Rams last year scored perfect on the Wonderlic.

I recall Mike Flanagan having a very high Wonderlic - might have been the highest on the team.

Edited to add: yes, he did. Score of 35.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    All I remember was hearing Wayne Lervee talking about how this team looks to improve in the 2005 season, and how 2004 was a disaster. He didn't realize he was a year off.

Anyone catch the great strory how Noah Herron went down to practice with Favre at the high school, and he didn't bring the right cleats? This was the dumbest story I had ever heard reported during an actual NFL football game. I was like, gee great, where was the punch line?

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    All I remember was hearing Wayne Lervee talking about how this team looks to improve in the 2005 season, and how 2004 was a disaster. He didn't realize he was a year off.

Anyone catch the great strory how Noah Herron went down to practice with Favre at the high school, and he didn't bring the right cleats? This was the dumbest story I had ever heard reported during an actual NFL football game. I was like, gee great, where was the punch line?
    that was a horrible story. everyone i was watching the game with just looked at each other like WTF was the point of that?

Maybe some truth to that. I know Matt Birk is probably one of the sharpest guys in the NFL. One of the few Viking players I admire not only for his skills at the position, but for being a stand up guy. Seem to remember reading something about him telling Randy Moss he was going to club him over the head if he ever walked out on the team again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TPF
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCheez
    I remember the QB for the Rams last year scored perfect on the Wonderlic.
    I don't think that's right.

The upcoming opponents have the two most extreme scores in wonderlic history:

Former WR/P Pat McInally scored a 50, the only perfect score I'm aware of.

S Ricky Dixon scored a 2. That's the lowest score from anybody who actually tried to take the test. Just random picking should get you a 12 or so. Plenty have scored zero, by not taking the test, but it's actually hard to get a two.