Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
I think the concussion lawsuit carries more financial risk for the owners. Work comp is tied to insurance cost and injury settlements. Could be expensive, but I would take a stab its an order of magnitude lower than what they fear of the lawsuits. I could be wrong.
There is no doubt that the concussion lawsuit is the biggie. And if the NFL "loses" that one, what other class of suits will that led to? There is no shortage of lawyers ready to sue.

How does the league indemnify themselves from future lawsuits in such a violent sport and still retain the nature of the game? Goodness, with the climate in Washington D.C., if Darrell Stingley had been injured in 2008 or 2009, you would have had calls threatening to ban the sport completely if serious revisions in the rules of the games did not occur.

Standing alone, Tupa's workers comp decision is not that big a deal. However, the reasoning of Maryland's Supreme Court ("The court rejected the idea that football injuries should not be considered accidental because of the rough nature of the sport") sounds dangerous to me in terms of laying the groundwork for a host of other lawsuits in the future.