Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McGinn- Packers DL Failing to Step Up

Blog Entries

McGinn- Packers DL Failing to Step Up

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Paragraph #2 dedicated to pb

Training camp is 3½ weeks old and none of the above six players has looked anything close to the second coming of Cullen Jenkins as an inside pass rusher.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Merriman to the rescue! LOL

He is a linebacker... ?

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    He is a linebacker... ?
    Oh really? Where are the ditto heads to correct me?

I really suspect the defense is going to be a work in progress this year. There really aren't any quick fixes in the NFL. You can't sign or draft a player that will turn a bad unit into a good one. We just need to hope that the defense puts it all together in time for the playoffs. The offense should be good enough to get this team to the playoffs (barring injury) regardless of how bad the defense plays.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    I really suspect the defense is going to be a work in progress this year. There really aren't any quick fixes in the NFL. You can't sign or draft a player that will turn a bad unit into a good one. We just need to hope that the defense puts it all together in time for the playoffs. The offense should be good enough to get this team to the playoffs (barring injury) regardless of how bad the defense plays.
    Because of the youth, I'm expecting this to be a year where we start out sluggish and get a few sky is falling theories, only to see it come together for a strong playoff run. Opposite of last year.

Not if the defense plays as bad as it did last season and has less turnovers. The offense last year was record setting and the defense produced an insane amount of turnovers. Those two things together produced 15 wins. Lets hope the D still produces a lot of turnovers otherwise games against the Bears, Lions, 49ers, Saints, Gaints, and Texans could be very high scoring.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Well, there's the worst case scenario. Nobody pans out.

McGinn's thesis statement to that article was that nobody looks remotely close the the 2nd coming of Cullen Jenkins. In that few hundred word article, he did mix in an 11 or 12 word sentence saying there is no telling how the players might pan out, but it read more like a "yeah, and pigs could fly" line than anything else.

McGinn brings some good stuff to the table. He seems to always want to drive a point home, but sometimes it's far too early to draw any conclusions.

I do think there is a lot of evidence that the Packers defense is going to be a work in progress. They are relying on a lot of young guys, but it's not like they're relying on any one guy. They have about 10 young guys between the DL, secondary and Perry, any of which have a chance to be good players. Last I checked, Thompson has a high success rate at finding players.

It woudln't be a very interesting article if all he said was, "we'll have to see how the season goes." He took what's happened to date, projected it out as if it wasn't going to change, phrased it in a very interesting and convincing style and now we'll all discuss it for the next couple weeks. That's his bag, baby. He's interesting and willing to take a stance.

We'll see how it goes. Every year the sky is falling about something. More often than not, the Packers don't win the super bowl, so at the end of the year, the sky did fall for one reason or another.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Packers pass rush is improved, as well as the secondary. I think it will show up more and more as the season goes on. For these first few weeks, I'm with McGinn. The young defense has to grow together, but they have talent and good coaching. Whether they're world beaters or not, I do think they'll grow as a unit and be better at the end of the year this year than they were last year.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 08-22-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

In fairness to this years rookies, Cullen Jenkins didn't play like Cullen Jenkins his first year either. In fact, he didn't play at all because he sat out the year after being waived by the Packers.

I'm a fan, sitting on the couch behind my computer, so take this for what it's worth. . . . .

I do think Capers does his DL a disservice by not giving them more opportunities to shoot up field. Raji has said it, those other DT's with the sacks, they don't have nearly the responsibility the Packers DL have. The 2-4 defense is a very small defense. 4-2 defenses have two DTs and two legitimate DEs. The Packers put a lot of pressure on those two inside guys to limit the wide openings in the pocket.

I still think you can let them go up field more often, especially if you have a guy like Raji who can really wreak havoc when he's let loose. Worthy too. He can shoot a gap. Hey, if your DL are better at getting pressure than your idiot inside LB's, why not have one of the inside guys play more of a spy/pocket contain role instead of blitzing. Sure, you're taking him out of coverage, just like you would on a blitz, but let Raji pin his ears back. I like Raji's chances of splitting the G/C gap better than I do Hawks chances of doing anything on one of those inside bltizes.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

This.

It's silly to think that the DL would suddenly look like the Giants by adding a couple of draft picks and some bargain vets. I think Worthy and Daniels are probably a year out from being truly effective, although one of them could start clicking by year's end. And if any of these guys keeps Raji fresh for the stretch and playoffs, the line will look better for it.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I still think you can let them go up field more often, especially if you have a guy like Raji who can really wreak havoc when he's let loose. Worthy too. He can shoot a gap. Hey, if your DL are better at getting pressure than your idiot inside LB's, why not have one of the inside guys play more of a spy/pocket contain role instead of blitzing. Sure, you're taking him out of coverage, just like you would on a blitz, but let Raji pin his ears back. I like Raji's chances of splitting the G/C gap better than I do Hawks chances of doing anything on one of those inside bltizes.
    I agree with this, with the qualification that I don't exactly understand what you leave open in this scheme. If it's the underneath passing routes, then maybe you go with Francois more than Hawk for example. But it seems manageable. I also wonder about the temperament of Raji - I think he operates on a pretty emotional level. If he's playing mostly two-gap, I bet that knocks the spirit right out of him. Turn him loose! (I say that with the qualification that I don't know for certain what percentage of times he's been allowed to rush upfield; it's possible he's been set free - last year - and just didn't perform all that well...)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'm a fan, sitting on the couch behind my computer, so take this for what it's worth. . . . .

I do think Capers does his DL a disservice by not giving them more opportunities to shoot up field. Raji has said it, those other DT's with the sacks, they don't have nearly the responsibility the Packers DL have. The 2-4 defense is a very small defense. 4-2 defenses have two DTs and two legitimate DEs. The Packers put a lot of pressure on those two inside guys to limit the wide openings in the pocket.

Problem is that those charging pass rushers/lineman leave gaps and you need LBs and safeties who can fill those gaps when you get a run, draw or shovel pass. I am not sure those players are on the Packers roster.

One thing that is odd about the Packer D is that if you two gap the D line you usually go smaller, speedier and deadlier elsewhere. But the Packers speed in the middle of the field is pretty average (except maybe Burnett) and their tackling is horrible. Sometimes it seems like a bad fit.

In other words, I still don't think this is all Cullen Jenkins fault
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

How can anyone tell how good or bad this defense is gonna be after the starters have played snippets in 2 preseason games? Capers in notorious for having his defenders play vanilla in the preseason too. I think we need to see more evidence before making any declaration here. The defense will be better if only because they couldn't have played much worse last year besides getting turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    How can anyone tell how good or bad this defense is gonna be after the starters have played snippets in 2 preseason games? Capers in notorious for having his defenders play vanilla in the preseason too. I think we need to see more evidence before making any declaration here. The defense will be better if only because they couldn't have played much worse last year besides getting turnovers.
    Capers is also notorious for his defenses dropping off in effectiveness after his first year as DC. In GB, that happened to be their best year, but it's a trend. I hope the D gets back to good though and stays there.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    In fairness to this years rookies, Cullen Jenkins didn't play like Cullen Jenkins his first year either. In fact, he didn't play at all because he sat out the year after being waived by the Packers.
    True like dat.

I like how the young guys have looked - even if the early results look shaky.

I absolutely do not trust Capers to pull it al together though. He's as likely to go to a 1-10 half dollar defense as he is to put 3-4 DL on the field at the same time.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Capers is also notorious for his defenses dropping off in effectiveness after his first year as DC. In GB, that happened to be their best year, but it's a trend. I hope the D gets back to good though and stays there.
    They had their best year in his second year as DC with Green Bay. Which had been his worst year in other towns. A change in scheme is going to result in weird first year results as no one has film on that team playing that defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They had their best year in his second year as DC with Green Bay. Which had been his worst year in other towns. A change in scheme is going to result in weird first year results as no one has film on that team playing that defense.
    So was year 3 DC's year 2 at other stops? Has he ever had a defense that's perpetually in the Top 10?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.