Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The GIF That Keeps On Giving

The GIF That Keeps On Giving

I am going to try to move the continued debate over Harlan's GIF and subsequent removal here, so we can comment without wiping out another Packer thread.

In response to the abridgment of free speech claims and laments over censorship I say ...

Censorship would certainly stink if there weren't three other forums at this site dedicated to the posting of that GIF and defending Harlan's right to do so (and be mocked) to the death. To the death should be considered as modifying defend in this sentence, not mocked.

There has to be a different standard in the Packer forum as the number of people looking for Packer talk and an unfettered free speech zone with enhanced brain splatter is a pretty small demographic.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I want more brain splatter. It is my constitutional right.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

He goes through some sort of personal crisis every football season. I don't know if it's the impending holidays or the crushing loneliness that entails, but he likes to be the center of attention at least once a year. What better time here than when there is the most traffic?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I want more brain splatter. It is my constitutional right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Same strawman argument. I never disputed that websites can do what they want. Youtube chooses to set policies that balance decency standards with free speech, and they follow those standards.
    It's funny how you don't know what a strawman argument is, since you use them all the time. Both websites do what they want and have their standards that they follow. Packerrats' standard is whatever Madtown and his collection of moderators say, goes. That's it, tapiocabrain.

I did not post a snuff video. I post a .gif of the kennedy assasination, the Zapruder frames that have been seen by all hundreds of times. The purpose was as a prop for a joke related to the football topic. Nothing I did was against the policies of this website, AFAIK.
    I know what the purpose was. I've done the zapruder video too - but not a snuff video gif of the headshot. It's a snuff video HAHAHAHA!!!! You posted a snuff video
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Love the thread title.

That's more like it! Which Kennedy is that?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's more like it! Which Kennedy is that?
    He aint. Am I gonna lose points for that?

It's Teddy on a bender

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There has to be a different standard in the Packer forum as the number of people looking for Packer talk and an unfettered free speech zone with enhanced brain splatter is a pretty small demographic.
    I don't really care that much what the standard is in the Packer forum. Strict rules there are fine. The important thing is that the standard is well understood, and that censorship not be done in response to heat-of-the-moment mob rule.

I have a lot of sympathy for Muslim protests over insults to their religion. The fact that they demand censorship makes sense. Youtube does not have an admirable respect for free speech because of their broad and open standards, their standards are actually pretty restricting. Youtube is admirable because they abide by their standards rather than bending to calls for censorship from upset people.

Packerrats' standard is whatever Madtown and his collection of moderators say, goes.
    I think they believe they are operating by standards. But maybe you are right, maybe Zool deletes posts when he feels like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    He goes through some sort of personal crisis every football season. I don't know if it's the impending holidays or the crushing loneliness that entails, but he likes to be the center of attention at least once a year. What better time here than when there is the most traffic?
    you sound like a person who dealt with this situation in a fair manner, not grinding any personal axes

I think they believe they are operating by standards. But maybe you are right, maybe Zool deletes posts when he feels like it.
    I don't really care that much what the standard is in the Packer forum. Strict rules there are fine. The important thing is that the standard is well understood, and that censorship not be done in response to heat-of-the-moment mob rule.
    You make it sound like it's mob rule and capriciousness all at the same time. Perhaps it's just common sense.

How in the hell did I miss a GIF of the Zapruder film post here?
    C.H.U.D.

C.H.U.D.

You make it sound like it's mob rule and capriciousness all at the same time. Perhaps it's just common sense.
    No, not common, for instance I doubt your own sense is that the Zapruder clip needs to be banned from the eyes of the sensitive folk at Packerrats.

I agree that the Zapruder clip was somewhat offensive, and if the policy is that any image that is even remotely offensive is verbotten in packer room, that's OK with me. My issue is an arbitrary, on-the-fly censorship in response to some angry Muslims. And I didn't like Kiwon & others denigrating my character over such a thing, even if slings and arrows are fair game.

BTW, I very much am down with angry Muslims, they are my peeps. Why shouldn't people get super-pissed off at their religion being mocked in media? I think the people who put-down Muslims probably have their own intolerances over much more trivial issues. Why, see the furor over the familar Zapruder images!

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Love the thread title.

Now THAT'S funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    How in the hell did I miss a GIF of the Zapruder film post here?
    Dude. Where do we start..........

I agree that the Zapruder clip was somewhat offensive, and if the policy is that any image that is even remotely offensive is verbotten in packer room, that's OK with me. My issue is an arbitrary, on-the-fly censorship in response to some angry Muslims. And I didn't like Kiwon & others denigrating my character over such a thing, even if slings and arrows are fair game.
    So we can denigrate your character over other issues?

The Strawman (argument) is Harlan's BFF.

Dang, I remember when the "issues" at this site used to be more Drama-ish.....wasn't there something about a pregnancy scare once? lol

Carry on.....