Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

Game of Thrones

Its obvious that we all watch this show and bullshit that we haven't made a thread about it. Clearly we need ground rules though.

1. If you read the books fuck yourself and don't post anything. Keep your smug fingers of your smug keyboard in here.

2. This is an HBO show, like 5% of people have HBO and the rest download it and probably don't watch it until Monday. This makes for some sad spoiler scenarios. To circumvent this post all sensitive information in white font. To do this, highlight the text you want to change, click the capitol "A" and pick white on the bottom right.

Zool will be posting in here hopefully so maybe he can fix it if everyone screws that up.

Anyways regarding Sunday night's episode:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

1) Fuck yes I'll be posting in here so no spoilers dammit.
    2) I don't get to watch until Monday evening so see about statement about spoilers
    3) About this week's episode.....holy fucking shit about sums it up

I'm reading the 3rd book before watching any of season 3 so fuck yourselves.
    C.H.U.D.

Yikes, Starks don't seem to make lasting leaders, do they? I must admit, I got a little satisfaction when Kaitlin Stark was dropping her family names like it was going to save her. They never learn and I never liked her.

Ayria is my favorite character. She's nothing like her family. Jon too. I like/liked all of them except Kaitlin.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-04-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Yikes, Starks don't seem to make lasting leaders, do they? I must admit, I got a little satisfaction when Kaitlin Stark was dropping her family names like it was going to save her. They never learn and I never liked her.

Ayria is my favorite character. She's nothing like her family. Jon too. I like/liked all of them except Kaitlin.
    The Starks only purpose seems to be hammering home the theme that being an honorable good guy isn't going to get you as far in this gritty fantasy world as it would in Lord of the Rings. Arya is a good character and I agree she's not like her family. This show rewards being politically savy and a good tactician, she's the smartest of all the Starks. I can only assume we're gearing up for her to eventually go on an epic revenge rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The Starks only purpose seems to be hammering home the theme that being an honorable good guy isn't going to get you as far in this gritty fantasy world as it would in Lord of the Rings. Arya is a good character and I agree she's not like her family. This show rewards being politically savy and a good tactician, she's the smartest of all the Starks. I can only assume we're gearing up for her to eventually go on an epic revenge rampage.
    Was thinking the same thing. Barathian's have the ambition. Starks have the loyalty of the north. Together, they're a mean two-some. It would be fun to watch Jon and Gendry tear through Lannister armies like Robert and Ned did way back when. Starks don't seem to be able to make the smart decision. Barathians seem to be a little more realistic and ruthless. And Ayria, she's going to be on a rampage. She could easily be the one to skewer Geoffrey and fuel Gendry's ambition to get there. I don't think it will take much though. I think Gendry will want to lead, just like every other Barathian does.

I like Starks, I'd love to have Jon by my side. But I'd hate to have them making the final call. I'd trust a Barathian to do that. At least they are more likely to finish the job when it needs to be finished.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not gonna read any post in here because I am at episode 6 but want to tell you spoiler pukes to go to hell!!!

I'll post tomorrow when I'm all caught up.

I am one of the smug, book reading fuckers that 31 described in OP. finished book five a few weeks ago.

All I will say is: strap in, boys, its gonna be a wild fucking ride...........

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I have read all five books also.

Like I stated in another thread I am not sure how we get back to the book on a few of the plots.

Good series, the thing I like best is that people don't magically get healed or brought back to life but the Lightning Lord. To many series have the heroes get miracleously healed or brought back to life time after time after time. Also different that main characters get killed off.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Thank God we didn't have to see Theon Greyjoy tortured again this week. The producers were using five minutes for weeks that could have been used on other plot lines.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I have read all five books also.

Like I stated in another thread I am not sure how we get back to the book on a few of the plots.

Good series, the thing I like best is that people don't magically get healed or brought back to life but the Lightning Lord. To many series have the heroes get miracleously healed or brought back to life time after time after time. Also different that main characters get killed off.
    The author did that so people would take each moment seriously. Anything can happen.

I heard each season corresponds to a book - can the other readers confirm that?

Is anyone else watching the show after having read the books? Care to comment on what it's like, is it worth watching or does knowing roughly what is going to happen ruin it? Walking Dead departed drastically from the comics, so watching and reading didn't matter. Just half a dozen episodes in, I've already noticed some departures, but I think they're more different storytelling rather than actually changing the plot.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I heard each season corresponds to a book - can the other readers confirm that?

Is anyone else watching the show after having read the books? Care to comment on what it's like, is it worth watching or does knowing roughly what is going to happen ruin it? Walking Dead departed drastically from the comics, so watching and reading didn't matter. Just half a dozen episodes in, I've already noticed some departures, but I think they're more different storytelling rather than actually changing the plot.
    So far each season has roughly equaled one book.

I like watching the show it "fleshes" out some of the details. Fun to see what the cities look like on TV verses what I imagined in my head. I watched season one first before buying the books and finished all five before season two started.

-Tim Harmston

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh shit Red Wedding was no fucking joke! I'm not even sure where it can go from here. Shit reminded me of the end of The Godfather II

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I can't wait until the direwolves all come together to join into a huge ass-kicking robot. The books just go to a whole new level after that.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I can't wait until the direwolves all come together to join into a huge ass-kicking robot. The books just go to a whole new level after that.
    I really liked the part in the fifth book when Ned Stark's headless corpse rises from the grave, jumps behind the wheel of the Gravedigger and runs over the armies of his enemies whilst Cersei gives him road-head.

Oh shit, I forget to type "spoiler alert".

Sorry!

What'd everyone think of the finale?

Aaron Rodgers talked for 5 or 10 mins about Game of Thrones to Rich Eisen. It was a cool interview. AR is a big Kaleesi fan, and who isn't.

As a whole, the 3rd season (by far) was my least favorite season. It was slow going. Episode 1, the whole thing was pretty much catch up for people who haven't seen the first two seasons. After that, it was really slow-going. The only truly great episode was the one where Kaleesi took down Astapor. Other than that, it was a lot of lead in to potential throne battles.

I imagine season 4 is going to be epic as there are a ton of open ends that need to be tied right now.

As far as the finale, um, what even happened again? The White Walkers are coming and there is all kinds of shit up in the air right now. I have to watch season 3 again. I'm a little lost right now with there being so many side characters. I have a good feel for the long-time characters, but some of those side characters, I don't even remember all of their names.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'm a little lost right now with there being so many side characters. I have a good feel for the long-time characters, but some of those side characters, I don't even remember all of their names.
    That's the biggest problem with the books and story overall. It's so massive it's hard to keep track of who's who and what the hell they have to do with anything.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    That's the biggest problem with the books and story overall. It's so massive it's hard to keep track of who's who and what the hell they have to do with anything.
    If you look in the back of the books they have a list of everyone and who the are loyal to. They are listed by family.

-Tim Harmston