Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Game of Thrones

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    The first 4 seasons of this show were sensational. My favorite TV of all time. 5-6 started to go downhill, but still had enough brilliant moments sprinkled in to keep me enthralled. 7-8 have been a disaster for the most part. Visually stunning, but writing has fallen off a cliff. Like if Michael Bay took over. The lets go north of the wall to capture a wight to show Cersei-oops we created an ice dragon-oops wall destroyed-but Cersei will still help us fight the zombies-oops no she won't why would she's evil and selfish-storyline is just too dumb for words. I imagine middleschoolers coming up with it. Anyway I keep watching, kind of like how I felt watching the last handful of Packer games last season. I care enough to observe how things shake out, but my hearts not in it and I know I'll end up disappointed and unfulfilled.
    I agree with all of that analysis, yet after last week I'm actually looking forward to the next one for the first time in years. HBO quality makes everything better, but ultimately you have to tell a good story. The thing that makes GoT unique is the all out rejection of "plot armor." They were willing to kill the most important characters in what was ostensibly the middle of their narrative arc. They could genuinely surprise and shock audiences. IMO if a show makes you feel anything, that's at least very close to art. Well hard to do that forever... at some point you have to be left with a story. Really the only ending I could have imagined being satisfied with was Shakespearean tragedy. Anyone who survives has to live miserably ever after.

What they did with the white walkers was the low point of the series. Turns out their only purpose was to form this coalition then be defeated in one battle. Just a plot device with the bare minimum devoted to developing it. It feels like the White Walkers were an afterthought except that they were in the first scene of the series. I hear they are making a spin-off, maybe they want to import the mystery of the white walkers right into that show. Maybe the George RR Martin ending involved Bran doing a bunch of stuff but they cast Bran as a little kid and he grew up to be a potato of an actor. Anyways post battle of Winterfell expectations are lower. There are so many problems I don't even want to complain about the physics engine of Westeros. But I think they are making lemonade. They just surprised killed a dragon with railgun fire from stage left, Dragons were nukes and now they are bottle rockets, they sowed the seeds of treason in Dany's camp, they are setting up a fight between the Clegane brothers, but most importantly they destroyed EVERY SINGLE romance in the show. I like the new direction.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    The first 4 seasons of this show were sensational. My favorite TV of all time. 5-6 started to go downhill, but still had enough brilliant moments sprinkled in to keep me enthralled. 7-8 have been a disaster for the most part. Visually stunning, but writing has fallen off a cliff. Like if Michael Bay took over. The lets go north of the wall to capture a wight to show Cersei-oops we created an ice dragon-oops wall destroyed-but Cersei will still help us fight the zombies-oops no she won't why would she's evil and selfish-storyline is just too dumb for words. I imagine middleschoolers coming up with it. Anyway I keep watching, kind of like how I felt watching the last handful of Packer games last season. I care enough to observe how things shake out, but my hearts not in it and I know I'll end up disappointed and unfulfilled.
    RELAX

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    The queen is dead, long live the queen!

The Great Arm of Butte (?):

Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 05-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Yawned my way through that whole episode. I should be a writer. I could do at least as well as these two morons.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Finale sucks! I immediately cancelled HBO Now after watching that shitty last episode.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I agree, the last episode sucked