Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Am I the only one watching?

Now it gets interesting. The 4 teams left are the last 4 Stanley Cup Champions. Chicago (2010) vs. Los Angeles (2012). Pittsburgh (2009) vs. Boston (2011).

An interesting Olympics related note: Blackhawks just defeated goalie Jimmy Howard of Detroit. They now face Jonathan Quick of Los Angeles. Really good chance that Howard and Quick will be the goalies for USA in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

that whistle at the end of regulation the other night that dissallowed the winning goal for the hawks was one of the most mind numbing things i have ever seen in my life

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    that whistle at the end of regulation the other night that dissallowed the winning goal for the hawks was one of the most mind numbing things i have ever seen in my life
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Why?
    did you see it?

game 7, score tied, with like a couple minutes left.

detroit player drills a blackhawks player and launches him into one of the benches, the pulls the guy out and down onto the ice.

while that is going on, the blackhawks go on a massive break

wings player just stands over the hawks player, doing nothing, no punches being thrown. line judge deems that there is too much going on and decides to fly in and blow the play dead to stop the fight, which isn't happening

right about the same time the whistle is being blown for no reason, a hawks player winds up and fires a shot that beats the wings goalie high

stadium erupts, everyone celebrates, and then it is announced that the goal didn't count because the ref blew a whistle way behind the play for something that happens all the time without getting a whistle

and to add insult to injury. they called penalties on both players. even on the blackhawks player for basically getting his ass kicked and not fighting back

Last edited by red; 06-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.

I didn't see it live, but I have seen replays from various angles. I don't mind that he made the call, and I wouldn't have thought it wrong if he didn't. Could have gone either way.

I think people get upset because it negated a goal. Had the goalie made the save, probably no one would have objected. But the fact the shot went in doesn't change the call from right to wrong. For me, the fact it was with less than 2:00 remaining doesn't matter either. I wanted the calls to stay the same until the very end. otherwise, it just becomes a free for all.

Doesn't seem to be any dispute that the whistle was blown before the shot. If you watch the trailing official, his hand goes to his mouth to blow the whistle even before the final pass is made.

I don't think the Hawk was blameless. He grabbed the Wing by the head and pulled his helmet off, then wrapped his legs around the Wing's legs. The Wing was no more and no less to blame, maybe the hit was high, maybe roughing as the Hawk came down on the ice, but not egregious either. Coincidental was probably the best call, if a call was to be made.

Not the greatest whistle, but not atrocious, in my opinion. I couldn't have cared less who won the game, so I think I am objective, but then again it involved a Chicago team so I might be inherently prejudicial in favor of whoever is playing them!

B's beat pit 6-1...and it wasn't that close. lead series 2-0.

Pittsburgh was truly horrible. Don't see how they can bounce back from this, with how well Boston is playing. I've been wanting to see a Blackhawks/Bruins final for a few years now. Looks like this might be the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pittsburgh was truly horrible. Don't see how they can bounce back from this, with how well Boston is playing. I've been wanting to see a Blackhawks/Bruins final for a few years now. Looks like this might be the year.
    maybe...just maybe.

The Blackhawks looked all but done 10 days ago. I know a couple fans that were looking for tall buildings to jump off of. Nice regroup and focus to come back in that series and take command of this one.

The Blackhawks looked all but done 10 days ago. I know a couple fans that were looking for tall buildings to jump off of. Nice regroup and focus to come back in that series and take command of this one.
    Joel Quenneville made some nice adjustments starting in Game 5, most importantly reuniting the defensive pairing Duncan Keith and Brett Seabrook. He needed to because Mike Babcock is a hell of a coach who really had the Blackhawks frustrated.

Not sure I would say the Blackhawks have command of this series yet. Kings have won 14 straight at home, so tonight should be interesting. Not having Mike Richards in the lineup hurts them though.

Pretty ridiculous that the NHL is making these 2 teams play 3 games in 4 nights this deep in the playoffs. The Blackhawks depth might give them an advantage there, especially if it goes OT.

Blackhawks and Bruins one win away from Finals.

SAAAWEEEEEEP!

I would just like to point out that the last time the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, the Packers won the next Super Bowl. So everyone here should be cheering for the Blackhawks!

I would just like to point out that the last time the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, the Packers won the next Super Bowl. So everyone here should be cheering for the Blackhawks!
    But the Blackhawks hail from CHICAGO. I think that is in ILLINOIS.
    You are asking for an awful lot from a life-long cheesehead.

They're playing the Bruins. A bruin is a bear. What Packer fan doesn't want to cheer against the Bears?

i love all chicago teams except for the bears

fuck the bears

They're playing the Bruins. A bruin is a bear. What Packer fan doesn't want to cheer against the Bears?
    Excellent!

There are few teams I dislike more than the blackhawks, but there are only three teams I hate. Go hawks ( I think I threw up a bit)

SHIT! lost in triple ot at the strike of midnight 4-3.

I was not expecting that outta game one. 2 goals in the last few minutes to tie it up, then three ot's. Get outta here