Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
you can't eat gold or government bonds either. So what are you investing in. You seem pretty well situated to buy farmland, animals, generators, fuel, guns, ammo, and other things that will have value once the crash comes. I was thinking of stockpiling fuel, generators, refrigerators and maybe perhaps insulin production equipment.
Balanced approach. Still use traditional investment tools, but I am prepared to lose 50% or more. True you can't eat gold, but gold has retained it's value for thousands of years and there's no reason to think the economic collapse of another festering civilization will change that. I don't have nearly enough to be a baron in the new world, but enough to make some critical trades if need be. Moving to the country was part of the plan, and allows us to be 80% self sufficient without any real stockpiling outside of common tools, including firearms and ammo. We also have the type of community here that would provide support and has an absolute wealth of practical knowledge for survival, which you simply can't buy. Speaking of which, I should also invest in more booze. I already do, but it tends to get used at an equal rate. In the case of threatening civil unrest, we would simply barricade the two ends of the road and carry on. Fresh water and food are in abundance, and we have some MRE type stuff squirreled away in case of emergency. Going forward, investing in a year's supply of 25 year shelf food (if nothing happens in 20 years I'll gladly eat it then and consider myself blessed), is a larger priority than any kind of market investment. Maybe a higher caliber rifle as well.

I'm not interested in any fueled device or fuel, as that resource will disappear almost immediately anyway.

I really think that the best case scenario is going to be a massive economic collapse - which at this point is all but unavoidable if you believe in math, followed by mainly urban unrest and destruction when government and basic services collapse, with bleed-out to the rural areas where the lawless will be put down like stray dogs until martial law restores a "benevolent dictator" to rule the democrats and other commies on the eastern seaboard while Texas leads a southern split for the folks who still cherish freedom, and the west is abandoned to Mexican and Chinese rule. Of course, after a couple decades of boarder confusion and mass population relocation, that will most likely lead to an internationally backed second war of northern aggression when the progressive regime mills through it's resources and continues to degrade and militarize while the limited government southern regime flourishes and renews relations with traditional allies, which won't be good for investing either.

Anyway, we've got more money than I would like invested in market based shit, but I'm also not counting on that money being there or being worth anything at the drop of a hat.