Late 2013 was a pretty easy time to make money, so I don't claim any great investing acumen for having done so. More winners than loser, and some up big. I made a few blunders too. Some of the stocks I own right now:

I bought FB in late October under $50, so I am up about 30%.
UBNT bought twice, sold half when I was up 20%. it rose more, then fell. Up 4% on what I have left.
MPAA in November, up 18%.
Z in September, down 6%

Biggest mistake in 2013 - CRUS - stubbornly held on as it fell, lost nearly 35% before I came to my senses. The only thing that makes me feel "better" is that it fell even more and is still lower today than when I sold.

Been playing with Biotechs a lot the last year. Very mixed results so far. Currently own MDVN (prostate cancer drug) that just released some very good clinical study reports. Jumped about 13% early last week. I'm up 32%. I own PCYC, which hasn't made any $ for me.

Owned a couple that had some interesting drugs in clinical trials, which ended up inconclusive, or worse. Lost $ on THLD.

Bought QCOR in 2012. Held for a long time waiting for FDA approvals and final clinical reports. FDA came back with questions and the stock fell. There seemed to be more than normal publicized back & forths between the company and the FDA. I held through a lot of ups and downs, some analyst turned sour on them, which confused me because I thought things seemed to be in a hold rather than negative with the FDA. But, as more experts turned negative I figured I wasn't knowwledgeable about the procedures, so I waited for a good point, got out losing just a little. It dropped a bit again. then turned around and has climbed ever since. I bought and ultimately sold at around $32. It's gotten into the $70's since I sold, so I missed a 100%+ gain. Oh well.........

I wanted to buy AAPL last spring/summer when it was hanging around $400, because that was...ridiculous. But, I was fully invested and didn't have anything I wanted to sell. Right now, investors really have no patience with AAPL