Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bobble what do you think of SQ from the outside? I am torn on selling on vest vs holding. My stock grant is at 67 a share so I am down about 10% right now, but I would be okay with that if I didn't think there was a reasonable chance that Square improves fundamentals and goes up 20-30% in the next couple years. I don't really need the money so no need to sell right now. I am also presently holding as a hedge against getting laid off. If SQ does a layoff that impacts me, the stock will shoot up 20% probably so I am offset lost wages that way.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Bobble what do you think of SQ from the outside? I am torn on selling on vest vs holding. My stock grant is at 67 a share so I am down about 10% right now, but I would be okay with that if I didn't think there was a reasonable chance that Square improves fundamentals and goes up 20-30% in the next couple years. I don't really need the money so no need to sell right now. I am also presently holding as a hedge against getting laid off. If SQ does a layoff that impacts me, the stock will shoot up 20% probably so I am offset lost wages that way.
    Hard to say with such a small player. You SHOULD have way better insight than anything I can come up with since you are on the inside (if you can be unbiased). Do you see anything to make you think that a small company can overcome headwinds placed in front of it by large competitors? Some proprietary advantage? I simply don't invest in any company that small. I also don't have enough idea of what they are all about to have a clue if they are a buyout candidate. My advice to you would go like this. If the stock option is worth less than 3% of your net worth you should hold it IF you believe the company will become a player or be bought out. If its more than 3% then I think you should liquidate down to 3% no matter what then return to my first option. I just think there are so many safe options that will almost (depending on overall economy and market) certainly get you 30% + over the next few years that I wouldn't tie up capital in such a small and risky company.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.