Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

BTW - I predict the TSLA share price goes down 80% next week!

Blog Entries
    I enjoy the market. I am pretty vested in my 401K and should be fine if I live long enough.

So my project has been trying to grow a new all stock Roth IRA in hopes of at least doubling it over the next 6 years and then giving it all to my kids to payoff any college debts they have.

Started a couple months ago on this project. Hit really good with AMD. Overall the value is up about 12% but over half of the funds are still in cash waiting for a correction.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky are you paying for your kids college? Or are they doing it themselves? I gotta start planning for this. My oldest is 5 but the years seem to fly by way too fast. Better to start getting ready now.
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 08-30-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Bretsky are you paying for your kids college? Or are they doing it themselves? I gotta start planning for this. My oldest is 5 but the years seem to fly by way too fast. Better to start getting ready now.

I have opened up a 529 for each kid; most gifted money goes into their college savings fund. And we've put some money in there over the years. My oldest daughter is going to the UW Madisoin.

At this point she's using the 529 and I think she'll end up with around 35,000 of student loans after she graduates
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    TORN; is it time to sell my ZOOM or keep it ?

I just got my clock cleaned today lol.

If I were you Bretsky, I would personally hold it. Zoom isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They own a growing market. They could double their prices and what, are people not going to pay? What's the alternative? Commerce stops?

Remote is going to be increasingly prevalent in the coming years and the cost of zoom is peanuts compared to a good employee so expect zoom to be on every employees computer for the next ten years.

Wish I would have dumped half of my TSLA a few days ago, but I did do it today and picked up some other "discounted" stocks so it was likely a was. Bought 1/3 of AAPL, 1/3 of ZM, and 1/3 of SHOP.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Wish I would have dumped half of my TSLA a few days ago, but I did do it today and picked up some other "discounted" stocks so it was likely a was. Bought 1/3 of AAPL, 1/3 of ZM, and 1/3 of SHOP.
    You won't be sorry, TSLA got rejected for S&P. As far as Zoom, not sure I understand the love cause the barrier for entry in this market is tiny for just about any other well funded large company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    TORN; is it time to sell my ZOOM or keep it ?
    It doesn't have to be, and really shouldn't be an all or nothing proposition. You have had this since Feb/March when you bought in the $90s. On Tuesday you had a 5x increase, and even after the drop the last few days you are sitting on a 4x increase. I assume that makes ZM a very large portion of your portfolio. Determine what % of your portfolio you are comfortable having invested in a single stock generally, and ZM specifically, then sell some to hit your range. Use the proceeds for another stock you like. I did this with NVDA. I have already "cashed out" almost a 2x profit on the entire investment, but still own half the total number of shares I bought. I was planning to sell out when it hit $600. Just missed earlier this week, so I will let the rest ride for the time being.

I have much improved my discipline in taking partial profits with fast rising stocks, and it has improved my overall performance. It seems like no matter how fast a stock goes up, it can come down even faster. Overall I have found that the upside missed by selling portions on the way up is small compared to the downside avoided by locking in some profits. Of course, I invest in a lot of small biotech that can be very volatile, but for the last few years, and 2020 in particular, it seems any stock can be quite volatile.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    As far as Zoom, not sure I understand the love cause the barrier for entry in this market is tiny for just about any other well funded large company.
    That is my concern with ZM, and they have just a single "product". Zoom is the online meeting answer right now for many, but there have been a lot of other online meeting options in the past, and I see no reason why there won't be new ones, or resurrected old ones in the future. I don't know what ZM or anyone can do to protect their market.

But so many people have tried to make the same product Zoom makes and have not been great at it. Slack, Hangouts, Skype, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc all were earlier entrants and just not nearly as good. Zoom consistently works every time. That’s the differentiator.

But so many people have tried to make the same product Zoom makes and have not been great at it. Slack, Hangouts, Skype, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc all were earlier entrants and just not nearly as good. Zoom consistently works every time. That’s the differentiator.
    That's not really much of a differentiator. In my experience, Zoom does not work consistently every time. I have used it at least 2-3 times each week since March, and have had issues with it from time to time. Others I have talked to are not committed to it either. Like me, they use it because it is the most popular right now, and probably the best right now to our knowledge, but we have no loyalty to it. I will willingly try others, because I think there is room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That's not really much of a differentiator. In my experience, Zoom does not work consistently every time. I have used it at least 2-3 times each week since March, and have had issues with it from time to time. Others I have talked to are not committed to it either. Like me, they use it because it is the most popular right now, and probably the best right now to our knowledge, but we have no loyalty to it. I will willingly try others, because I think there is room for improvement.
    Fair enough. So I've worked remotely 100% the past 5 years, and at least 50% the past 10 years. In my experience of taking at least ~3-4 hours of zoom calls per work day, Zoom is by far the best in my opinion. It is really, really good compared to the others in my opinion. In my opinion, the only thing that could sink them presently is continued flirtation with China and if they decide data needs to get be stored or routed through China is which case many US companies would jump ship.

Fair enough. So I've worked remotely 100% the past 5 years, and at least 50% the past 10 years. In my experience of taking at least ~3-4 hours of zoom calls per work day, Zoom is by far the best in my opinion. It is really, really good compared to the others in my opinion. In my opinion, the only thing that could sink them presently is continued flirtation with China and if they decide data needs to get be stored or routed through China is which case many US companies would jump ship.
    I actually started working remotely 50% of the time in 1999, when virtually no one was doing it. One week at home, next week in the office. That quickly evolved to all at home except a few days each month in the office. By 2005 or so, I went to the office a day or two just a couple times a year.

Initially we had some sort of conferencing "system" that I do not even recall the name of. It was a real pain in the ass, so I seldom used it. Some of us had clunky old cameras clamped on to our monitors; the office had a conference room with cameras. I found conference telephone calls, with concurrently transmitted emails for documents worked just as well.

At some point we used "Google Go to Meeting" (is that the right name??), also something from Microsoft I think, and then Skype. There were others, too. My work didn't require me to use it more than a few times a week. I use Zoom now much more than I ever used the others, more for family/personal reasons than for business/volunteer purposes.

What I was an early, very heavy user of was voice recognition software, probably because my typing is poor and dictating/transcription was cumbersome working remotely. For a short time I emailed audio files to my support staff for transcription, but it took forever to send even just an hour or so of dictation. I became a very early user of Dragon Naturally Speaking, when it only worked well if you paused after each word. That quickly improved. Found it to be fantastic.

Any ideas on where to stick some money? Sold MGM right before COVID at 3x what I paid, so turned that around into AMD at 52, which we dumped at 91. Bought the wife a Mercedes and putting a roof on the house, but haven't found anything interesting since to spend the leftovers. We have plenty of long term safe holdings, just looking for something fun. Maybe I should just buy more farm equipment to offset taxes.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Any ideas on where to stick some money? Sold MGM right before COVID at 3x what I paid, so turned that around into AMD at 52, which we dumped at 91. Bought the wife a Mercedes and putting a roof on the house, but haven't found anything interesting since to spend the leftovers. We have plenty of long term safe holdings, just looking for something fun. Maybe I should just buy more farm equipment to offset taxes.

CRWD= Crowdstrike I bought more the other day; they recently came out with great earnings.

SPCE is a very interesting stock; read about it. Not sure how much I love that one but long term I think CRWD will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Alaska Airlines. Gotta hold it though.
    C.H.U.D.

I bought a bunch of ConocoPhillips and other oil sector stuff when it bottomed.
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries

THANK YOU !!!

I track all of these and love seeing that on CRWD as well.

So what price should I enter Apple and MSFT at ???