Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That's the problem with index funds. My goal is to do better than the market as a whole. You can do that with market segment funds, but only if you know the segment very well.

I did fairly well with some US REITS the past year or so. while their dividends are still appealing, their prices have stagnated the last month or two, so I sold all of mine. If their prices decline, the nice dividend returns are eaten up quickly.

Gold does look like it could be an opportunity, doesn't it?
    I have been encouraging clients to move towards consistent dividend, ride out the short term insanity and use dividends to repurchase at a lower price. Or if they are really fearfull go money market for the next 30+days and get back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    I got my thumbs in all kinds of pies. And honestly, the market is the one I feel worst about, because everyone knows it can't last. Everyone knows it's artificially inflated. But outside of stocks, which are also being pushed by government policies of low interest rates, there aren't a lot of options for 401k and some other money we have, some of which is tied up by tax implications - again by government regulation. So like the rest of the sheep, I still leave a chunk there, knowing damn well I'm going to regret it when the market corrects and loses 30-50% of it's fake value. I guess I'm kind of stupid that way.
    Canada is ready for a big real estate correction, much like yours in 2008-2009 (maybe not quite so bad) which is why we sold all non argicultural real estate in April. We put it short term in the bond market, whoops, in the first 2 weeks we were up 2%, then lost 2.5% in the next 15 days. From a global perspective USA has some of the best investment stability right now, which does not say alot.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Follow @PeterGhostine. Best stock guy on the web. My advice: Buy AAPL. You're paying 50 cents for something that is worth a dollar. Peter is getting very bullish about Apple. Me? I recently bought Panera on Pete's adviec at 165 and sold at 192. Nice little flip in two or three weeks. Peter has Apple hitting 550 is the next few months and 850 before the end of 2014. Fundamentally, it's the strongest company in the world with a PEG at .5ish. PE is dirt cheap, too. Technically, trading volume is picking up and the 50 day moving average is about to jump up significantly as the 300s are falling off the trend line. I'm bullish.

FB is fricking cheap. Peter has a target of 32 on it. Not sure if that still applies as they have been getting hammered + all the privacy stuff. 32 - 23 = 9. 9/23 is 40%. 40% gain is solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I have been bullish on AAPL but I'm taking a wait and see approch now. I would personally buy FB before AAPL; I have been pondering that one for a couple months and I think it offers huge upside
    AAPL continues to fall. Two straight closes under $400.

From its high of $700 last September, AAPL's trading chart shows consistently lower highs and lower lows in the steady decline from $700. NASDAQ goes up, but AAPL goes down. At some point I will probably buy AAPL again, but not yet. No matter what the financial analysts say about a stock, ultimately, the market determines its price. AAPL has fallen from almost everyone's favorite to a stock many investors loath. People look at AAPL as a "loser" for them even though they made money on it, because they held on and ended up selling so far off it's high.

The market still dislikes AAPL. As long as it does, the stock will continue lower. I will wait.

Interesting situation now with AAPL. It will start popping up on screens for income investors. Annualized dividend yield is now above 3%.

Interesting situation now with AAPL. It will start popping up on screens for income investors. Annualized dividend yield is now above 3%.
    Is a three % yeild worth investing in a company whose core business market share is under attack while also having trouble finding new markets? I would hold off on them a bit longer until just before their next product launch.

Also I am re thinking my 1250 gold statement. It came down in another rush and I am holding off until I see more price support above 1200. Im still bullish on REITs

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Is a three % yeild worth investing in a company whose core business market share is under attack while also having trouble finding new markets? I would hold off on them a bit longer until just before their next product launch.

Also I am re thinking my 1250 gold statement. It came down in another rush and I am holding off until I see more price support above 1200. Im still bullish on REITs
    As I wrote above, I have no intention to buy AAPL now, just mentioned the dividend because some income investors arbitrarily screen for =/+3%. AAPL was never even a consideration for them before. Strictly a growth play previously. It opens up a new pool of potential buyers.
    Last edited by Patler; 06-28-2013 at 03:18 PM.

I read an article today that said many of the biggest gold mines have production costs of nearly $1200/oz. It could provide a floor for prices over a prolonged time frame.

I read an article today that said many of the biggest gold mines have production costs of nearly $1200/oz. It could provide a floor for prices over a prolonged time frame.
    That was why I want to see price support there, if there is none or little there could be a large spill over as Indians and Chinese re think there portfolio. Misunderstood you apple comment Btw before sorry.

Perception is a funny thing. Apple's market share is growing, not shrinking. The entire market in general is exploding, too, so Apple will continue to see massive growth.

My guy Pete is bearish on gold. He is long term bullish on AAPL (850 in 2014) but still waiting for it to turn around.

It's iPhone season. I would buy now. Why be greedy? It's, what, a 6 forward PE right now? That's robbing a fricking bank.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    In other words, while I'm not alarmist enough to call the money man and tell him to move our investments 100% into foreign currency, preferably Muslim, I sure as shit wouldn't be dumping additional money into this market, unless you're prepped to lose 50% or more in a heartbeat. but then again, I'm no investor.
    I disagree with you. SPX is going up. 1800 soonish. Check out Scott Redler on Twitter. He's an SPX/SPY magic man.

FB made some cash - Up like 40% since I posted that, then AAPL had a nice 10% climb in the past two weeks, too.

Blog Entries
    I sold my RDN for a profit of around 20%
    I am concerned that with the Fed not investing in Mortgage Bonds the Housing Market is going to be in pain again soon. Nothing wrong with taking a profit and trying to find another gem. I also sold off my Bank of America (I hate the company but I bottomfeeded on this one when I bought) and EMC for a profit, and my BRCM for a loss. I wanted to have some available cash for the next month when I think some opportunities will come up to buy good companies at somewhat discounted prices on days the market tanks.

I've invested some money in ECOM; this one might be a Partial Special. It IPO'd this year and first earnings report really impressed me. It's highly speculative; a Bretsky specialty.....high risk...high reward.....who knows. I put money in about half my position.....plan on buying more by end of year

I am confident I want to invest in the following stocks over the next few months. Yahoo....new management is turning this company around, Facebook.....I am pissed at myself for not jumping in when I told me dad I was going to in mid 20's, EBAY (I think this one is fairly valued but I think they will spin off Pay Pal down the road and that IMO may be the future of billing, WWAV (food company who just had nice earnings and is in stage one of growth), and maybe MU (Micron Technologies)

I am intrigued by and still reading about ZNGA as a turnaround play now that they hired the Micrsoft Exec and he's cleaning some house and restructuring, but this one has been a dog.

KEEP IN MIND: this is kind of my play money and my investing style often leads to stocks that are home runs or strikeouts. I've got kids to put through college so my dream is these investments.....which function as my play money......I find one or two home runs. I am heavily vested in IRA's and 401K's so what I get out of my small stocks are a bonus.
    At this point those are the birds I want to own by end of 2013 along with LULU, UA...UNDER ARMOUR , and AMAT...APPLIED MATERIALS...AND ECOM 9ChannelAdvisor.com).....whiich I will probably buy more soon).

I do think there are some great values out there, such as CSCO and even AAPL. But I'm not looking for a CSCO that will get you 20%. And while I'm confident AAPL will get you twenty percent over the next year.......this little portfolio is my lottery and I think it may take a while to double.

ANY IDEAS...............WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM !!!!!!
    Last edited by Bretsky; 08-17-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    BTW.....>VERY PISSED AT MYSELF for not putting my money where my mouth was (I touted the company to investing friends and jumping in Z (Zillow) while in the 20's. Since I'm in that industry, not showing balls with that stock will probably haunt me forever ((((
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Long with 155 shares of AAPL right now. Very confident in 650 and SOON. It's forming a gigantic cup on the chart. Technically, it is incredibly solid. Fundamentally, my opinion is it's very solid (low PE, high PEG though growth has slowed)

401Ks are the shit, man. I have been maxing mine out for 4 years, so inserted a total of 66K with like 3% of that coming from my employer. It's now valued at 98K. Baller as shit! I have put in zero effort managing this and it just grows and grows and grows!

I firmly believe that the 20s are the most important years of a person's life financially due to compound interest. Wife and I are both earning big bucks right now and pumping cash into the bank and house like mad. Goal is to pay off the 400K house by 32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Long with 155 shares of AAPL right now. Very confident in 650 and SOON. It's forming a gigantic cup on the chart. Technically, it is incredibly solid. Fundamentally, my opinion is it's very solid (low PE, high PEG though growth has slowed)

I agree AAPL is going up ...to the 600's....I'm just looking for multi baggers so I'm looking for the more gems

Blog Entries
    OK HOMIIEEEEES

What's hot and not with stocks ? I want to meet and have drinks with Patler. His last stock analysis in the Packer thread really impressed me. I thought he was going to just be a low risk value only guy. I was deal wrong

I HIT ONE and MISSED ONE by NOT SWINGING

UA...............DA HOODY GENIUS OF APPAREL.......BOOM.........UNDER ARMOUR
    Have owned this one for a year; crushed estimates and up $20 bucks today. Not much to dislike about this stock

I told me dad he HAS TO BUY DAM FACEBOOK early summer; then when they crused earnings estimates the first time he asked if I was in cause it went up $8 that day
    Now it's about $30 more and I keep waiting for pullbacks that just aren't FRICKING COMING............I was a LOSER on this one by not swinging

Any views on Facebook here ?

If Partial is still reading, I hope he sold his Apple and rolled it to Facebook or other stocks.........lots of nice profits lately

any BIOTECH GUYS ???

Views on ISIS Pharmaceuticals ????? It is on my hitlist.

Also closely watching YELP and WDAY.

Would love to hear what others are doing

Blog Entries
    REVOLUTIONARY TECHNOLOGY ALERT

THE CLOUD

Anybody following Cloud Stocks ? Concur blew estimates away today. CNQR. Facebook as well. I've been watching WDAY (Workday) and YELP lately.

Any pimping ?

AAPL is going to 900 in 2014. Allegedly, it will bottom at 425 first. I'd get long soon. I told you FB was gonna double. I sold it too early.

I've been too busy with other stuff to trade a lot lately.

Blog Entries
    Partial.....I think you need to get back into the research game SOON
    I'm a bit disappointed....with you being a techie...that you dont have your list of the BEST CLOUD STOCKS

I'm also surprised you are still pimping Apple; it's just not the stock it used to be. Their price is about where it should be.

New innovative technogies are coming out where you can hit multibaggers IMO; I'd much rather Chase those than throw my money at Apple right now; the evidence out there is things are just slowing there. It's a few great quarters away from being a 900 stock IMO