Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

I know all about Bitcoin, but you're looking with too rose colored of glasses right now. It's been like ~15 years (I bought my first coins 9 years ago) and it hasn't happened yet. Institutions will do everything they can do prevent it and control the currency. China, for example, could easily kill BTC entirely if they wanted since so much commerce flows through China. They block the ports and it's game ova.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I know all about Bitcoin, but you're looking with too rose colored of glasses right now. It's been like ~15 years (I bought my first coins 9 years ago) and it hasn't happened yet. Institutions will do everything they can do prevent it and control the currency. China, for example, could easily kill BTC entirely if they wanted since so much commerce flows through China. They block the ports and it's game ova.
    Factually innacurate with the China fears. You're referring to the idea of a 51% attack on network. Not possible because the mining has become decentralised. At one point almost 60% of the network was in China, due to cheap electricity. Bitcoin mining was banned in 2021 in China, so now the current estimates range between 15-25%. Even when it was high it never happened because destroying the protocol wasn't in anyone's financial interests. So your China fears aren't accurate.

Im an optimist and an idealist, but it hasn't been 15 years. It's been almost 13. Like I stated above. It's not going to happen for the majority of westerners because they live in a system that caters to them. Ask somebody in Venezuela, central Africa, India, how easy it is for them to get a bank account and loan. If you were living in these circumstances and you could get a bank account on your phone that only you controlled and nothing else, your opinion would be 180 from what it is. Your western comfort and ease of being monetised dilutes the reality, and the lens which you see the bitcoin story through. These days anyone with a smartphone can plug into a global monetary network controlled by nobody. We take it for granted because we can get loans, credit cards and the system works for us. Doesnt work for 3b people though. Which is ironically why the western countries will be the slowest to understand and adopt it, because of convenience, and lack of necessity.

Im always filled with hopium. It's a better buzz..��

Quote Originally Posted by australianpackerbacker View Post
    Factually innacurate with the China fears. You're referring to the idea of a 51% attack on network. Not possible because the mining has become decentralised. At one point almost 60% of the network was in China, due to cheap electricity. Bitcoin mining was banned in 2021 in China, so now the current estimates range between 15-25%. Even when it was high it never happened because destroying the protocol wasn't in anyone's financial interests. So your China fears aren't accurate.

Im an optimist and an idealist, but it hasn't been 15 years. It's been almost 13. Like I stated above. It's not going to happen for the majority of westerners because they live in a system that caters to them. Ask somebody in Venezuela, central Africa, India, how easy it is for them to get a bank account and loan. If you were living in these circumstances and you could get a bank account on your phone that only you controlled and nothing else, your opinion would be 180 from what it is. Your western comfort and ease of being monetised dilutes the reality, and the lens which you see the bitcoin story through. These days anyone with a smartphone can plug into a global monetary network controlled by nobody. We take it for granted because we can get loans, credit cards and the system works for us. Doesnt work for 3b people though. Which is ironically why the western countries will be the slowest to understand and adopt it, because of convenience, and lack of necessity.

Im always filled with hopium. It's a better buzz..��
    No, I'm referring to them shutting down the network all together. The chain needs to sync across all distributed nodes - what if China shuts down access? They "banned" it but made it easy to get around. If they totally lock it down on the firewall? Balaji and others hypothesize it kills BTC.

No, I'm referring to them shutting down the network all together. The chain needs to sync across all distributed nodes - what if China shuts down access? They "banned" it but made it easy to get around. If they totally lock it down on the firewall? Balaji and others hypothesize it kills BTC.
    What you're referring to isn't possible. The chain doesn't need to sync across anything, you could blow up 12 countries with the highest hash rate, some dude in Africa can recover the latest confirmed block. That's its power

China can't do fuck all

tsla has been all elons doing with stock sales. see this as a great time to buy. nothing fundamental changed about company.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpopp11 View Post
    tsla has been all elons doing with stock sales. see this as a great time to buy. nothing fundamental changed about company.
    Money has already been made in TSLA. Competition is growing by leaps and bounds..

Meh, I'm not so sure about that. Who's the competition? Lots of people have tried to make autos in America, it is _very_ tough to do. Elon succeeded because he is brilliant and an actual slave driver. Trust me, I have first hand experience on the latter.

Meh, I'm not so sure about that. Who's the competition? Lots of people have tried to make autos in America, it is _very_ tough to do. Elon succeeded because he is brilliant and an actual slave driver. Trust me, I have first hand experience on the latter.
    Ford, GM, Stellantes, almsot all of the ww automakers are moving to electric. Toyota too but they are still hedging their bets on fuel cell technology..

Tesla is a battery company IMO and they are starting to figure out that they're also an AI company. I think it's still pretty early for Tesla because Elon is an such an exceptional engineer and works insanely hard.

Tesla is a battery company IMO ...
    What makes you think that? What battery technology does Tesla have? What battery technology has Tesla developed? Tesla uses Panasonic cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    What makes you think that? What battery technology does Tesla have? What battery technology has Tesla developed? Tesla uses Panasonic cells.
    Batteries are their business. I believe that they will extend far beyond cars. I think the solar roof and wall battery are just the beginning.

I also don't think GM or Toyota or any of those car companies can compete with the software that Tesla will produce. They don't have the engineering talent.

Batteries are their business. I believe that they will extend far beyond cars. I think the solar roof and wall battery are just the beginning.

I also don't think GM or Toyota or any of those car companies can compete with the software that Tesla will produce. They don't have the engineering talent.
    They may sell things that use batteries, but that doesn't make them a battery company anymore than Seiko, Mattel or any other seller of goods that use batteries. Musk is an opportunist, always has been, and I mean that in a good way. He has recognized opportunities others downplayed and has acquired the technology and people necessary to advance them.

You do know that Musk did not start Tesla, don't you?

Those companies do not have the software talent? Seriously?

Well, not sure I agree there is still money to be made in TSLA, but if that is what you believe, invest in TSLA, that is the American way..

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    They may sell things that use batteries, but that doesn't make them a battery company anymore than Seiko, Mattel or any other seller of goods that use batteries. Musk is an opportunist, always has been, and I mean that in a good way. He has recognized opportunities others downplayed and has acquired the technology and people necessary to advance them.

You do know that Musk did not start Tesla, don't you?
    Of course I do Patler. I recall you ripping on me for AAPL and TSLA and I went on to make a killing on 'em. You know know that, don't you?

Yes, I do feel that GM and Ford, etc do not have top tech talent. Where are they getting it? Look at the salaries they pay. How would they get top tech talent at the prices they pay? Who that is good enough that they can work anywhere would choose to work at GM for 250K when they could go get 1M or more at other places? Check out levels.fyi and compare say... Cruise or Telsa or something to Ford or GM. Stark differences.

I don't personally own very much TSLA anymore. I diversified near the top. I think I have 40K or so left. Took a 30K investment into several hundred thousand dollars though. 28x returns from initial investment but I cut my TSLA holdings in half several times during the rise so I didn't actually net the total 28x.

Of course I do Patler. I recall you ripping on me for AAPL and TSLA and I went on to make a killing on 'em. You know know that, don't you?

Yes, I do feel that GM and Ford, etc do not have top tech talent. Where are they getting it? Look at the salaries they pay. How would they get top tech talent at the prices they pay? Who that is good enough that they can work anywhere would choose to work at GM for 250K when they could go get 1M or more at other places? Check out levels.fyi and compare say... Cruise or Telsa or something to Ford or GM. Stark differences.

I don't personally own very much TSLA anymore. I diversified near the top. I think I have 40K or so left. Took a 30K investment into several hundred thousand dollars though. 28x returns from initial investment but I cut my TSLA holdings in half several times during the rise so I didn't actually net the total 28x.
    I doubt I ripped on you for owning either AAPL or TSLA; but, I do recall questioning your analyses on both.

I have owned AAPL, I believe continuously, since at least 2010; and for significant time frames it has been my largest individual stock position. I take profits from time to time, as I did twice this year; and buy again when I think the time is right. I still own some, but it is now a smaller position than many other stocks I own. Depending on what happens, I will probably buy more at some point. AAPL stock has been very, very good to me, and my retirement.

I owned TSLA once for a short time and got out. I have never regretted not owning it, no matter what it does. I will never knowingly own the stock of a company whose leading executive makes false statements and promises he and the company doesn't come close to meeting. Personally, I don't feel I can rely on any statement Musk makes. Most often, executives who do things and say things like Musk has are quickly shown the door, and/or drag their companies down with them. TSLA has benefitted from a lot of unique situations, and Musk has been given free pass after free pass. But again, I don't regret not owning TSLA, just as I don't regret not owning crypto.

Through stupid dumb luck, I have made a lot of money on companies for the wrong reasons. I bought them for one reason, but the stock went up for totally other reasons. I happily took my profits, but never felt too proud about it because my analyses were flawed. Mostly, I try to make steady gains from companies I understand well doing things I expected them to do. Doing that I have managed to provide a good living for Mrs. Patler and myself in our retirement.

I spent almost 50 years dealing with engineers all over the world. There are lots of good ones in every company I have ever dealt with, (and some bad ones too). I spent nearly 20 years dealing indirectly with GM, Ford and Toyota. Much of their "engineering" came from outside sources who responded to the car company need with proposed solutions. Many of these outside companies have outstanding engineers. Tesla did a similar thing by partnering with Panasonic for battery technology.

In my opinion, thinking any company can corner the market on engineers is flawed. There are plenty of good ones if a company wants to hire them. However, some companies don't emphasize engineering as much as others. Tesla itself has gone through several engineering drains when they lost a lot of engineering talent, including lead designers, directors and vice-presidents.

I agree with all of the above, but you did rip on me

Blog Entries
    OK PECKERS

What ya'll buying ?

Call me ishmael.............still own that Coinbase ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Still own, yeah. I am long on all those things. I would buy a shit load of Amazon now. I should really do that as I am sitting on a lot of cash.